Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:20 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Originally Posted by tommy777
Well, folks..

Today, Theresa at the Sheraton IAH, gave me control of 10 larger suites at the property. Thats right, the upgrades are in my hands ..

Let's see what we will do with them, but a thought was to raffle the upgrades off and give the money to our favorite Flyertalk charities. There are so many Platinums so it would not be fair otherwise.

I will also ask the other properties for the same ;-)
wauw - would be cool to have 2 days in a suite :-)

Good to see that Sheraton is doing alot for making this SMD another good one. The program just gets better and better IMHO.

Br,
HerrO
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:58 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
What rooms you get offered at whatever prices has to do with the information that you choose during the booking process. I got $119 at first, but then I went back and changed my preferences, especially from king to two doubles, and I got $99. Just play around with it, and you will see the different options too, at least that is my guess, until the cheaper rooms get sold out. Of course, as always, YMMV!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:28 am

Just use the default of "bed type: no preference" and it will show you all available options.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 11, 2010 at 1:33 am
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
As of this morning, the no preferences brings up a king bed or 2 doubles at $99. Evidently the club level & junior suites have sold out, and tommy holds the key to the full suites.

Cheers.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Hi all,

A few quick questions:

Question #1, from post #694 (excessive bold/ital/underlining mine):

Originally Posted by tommy777
All,

We have secured the following for all SMD participants:

1000 Starpoints pr. night in addition to what's normally awarded

If you have a top tier level with any other major program, you will get Starwood Platinum instantly. We will open up a simple online form where this is done some time in August.

Starwood also has many great surprises along the way ^^
There was some discussion as to whether the upgrade to SPG platinum would be a once-per-lifetime event - has this been determined one way or the other? I re-read the thread and could not find a definitive answer. If it is the typical SPG "you can never do this again" promo I will have to think carefully whether I want to use it this year or not. (In any case, Starwood Lurker will be happy that I'm finally staying in some SPG properties.)

Question 2: I will be traveling internationally during much of the next few weeks, sometimes without internet access. Do the organizers plan to give at least a week (two weeks would be safer for me) from the time that final charter payment is asked for to make the payment? If not I will probably have to ask for an extension.

Question 3: Are the organizers considering asking BD to grant miles, or is that too far down their list to get to? If not I can easily survive, but 4k DC miles are worth a bit more to me than 4k CO miles right now.

If the above sounds "whiney" I apologise - my questions are not meant to be taken in that way. I am very happy to have the opportunity to participate in SMD2 - thank you all! I am really getting excited about this!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Q1: we have a meeting with the DO sponsors (UA, CO, LH, SPG etc) so will give you feedback or rather ask for clarification.

Q2: yes, no one will be axed for not responding within hours. Ask the participants of SMD1 and you will see how flexible we were. However don't bank on flexibility, many FTers pushed the limits and this time we will be firmer.

Q3: no we will not ask bmi DC for mileage credit for various reasons. Last year a third of the participant credited there, and BD gained nothing of the event. The credit came about because they had offered a A332 for charter which fell thru later and the FFP miles were a small sorry note.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Shareholder
What time did you book? I did it within minutes of getting the email.
Got my confirmation E-Mail at 21:57 EDT
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:32 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
...(In any case, Starwood Lurker will be happy that I'm finally staying in some SPG properties.)...
^ LOL And it will be good touch base again. If time allows, we should allow Hartmann to show us the delights of Houston's BBQ joints.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: LH
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
^ LOL And it will be good touch base again. If time allows, we should allow Hartmann to show us the delights of Houston's BBQ joints.
Can someone translate this into simplified english?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by chumbawumba
Can someone translate this into simplified english?
My best guess is that you haven't spent much time in Teh Penalty Box or gone to a Kansas City BBQ Do. If you had, no interpretation would be necessary. But, all the parties to whom the message was intended probably know what it means.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've not been to either, but I knew what it meant Of course I'm still lamanting not being able to attend the renowned Austin Do, which evidently had fabulous BBQ. I doubt this trip will allow for BBQ sidetrips, unless CO has opened up a branch near one

Cheers.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I've not been to either, but I knew what it meant Of course I'm still lamanting not being able to attend the renowned Austin Do, which evidently had fabulous BBQ. I doubt this trip will allow for BBQ sidetrips, unless CO has opened up a branch near one

Cheers.
LOL. You'll get another chance at an Austin Do (with plenty of BBQ opportunities) in April 2012.

I know the timeline is short, so we'll have to see if a BBQ lunch in Houston is possible the closer we get to the event.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
LOL. You'll get another chance at an Austin Do (with plenty of BBQ opportunities) in April 2012.

I know the timeline is short, so we'll have to see if a BBQ lunch in Houston is possible the closer we get to the event.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
How about a BBQ lunch for those arriving into Houston a day earlier on the 3 November before the official flight arrives. @:-)

Booked my transpacific flights booked the accommodation in Houston.

Also my first stay at a SPG property coming up.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
How about a BBQ lunch for those arriving into Houston a day earlier on the 3 November before the official flight arrives. @:-)...
We can discuss the possibilities a little closer to the event...perhaps in a separate thread...but we should really turn the thread back over to SMD2 discussion.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Aug 11, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K

I'm sure there is a BBQ joint in Houston that would be willing to cater a lunch for us. Plus, BBQ is cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.