StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tommy777
All,

We have secured the following for all SMD participants:

1000 Starpoints pr. night in addition to what's normally awarded

If you have a top tier level with any other major program, you will get Starwood Platinum instantly. We will open up a simple online form where this is done some time in August.

Starwood also has many great surprises along the way ^^
Outstanding! I have to ask, though, if we have SPG Plat status already, does this mean they'll renew it? Might be a few nights short, so...
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by tommy777
All,

We have secured the following for all SMD participants:

1000 Starpoints pr. night in addition to what's normally awarded

If you have a top tier level with any other major program, you will get Starwood Platinum instantly. We will open up a simple online form where this is done some time in August.

Starwood also has many great surprises along the way ^^
This is great!^

I am trying to book the IAH hotel & don't know the offer code for the special rate! Please advise!
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by mnmag
I am trying to book the IAH hotel & don't know the offer code for the special rate! Please advise!
If I recall SMD1 correctly, we 'booked' hotels via the SMD registration form when we did final sign-up/payment for stuff. It's been a while & I could be wrong, so don't take it as gospel. I'm sure the organizers will let us know how to do it all.

Re: us all clamoring for upgrades due to having same status, I look at it the same way as I did SMD1. We're not in our rooms that much, there are a lot of elites, there aren't that many suites, etc, so just expect a normal room & one won't be disappointed. I mean seriously, unless someone is having a party, will the world fall apart if people don't get suites, or is it just the ego thing of I got one?

OTOH, the hotels should probably overstaff the exec lounges cuz the newly-minted Plats will probably descend upon those by the masses If SMD2 is like SMD1, I'll probably be in the bar w/ other FTers closing it down & will opt for sleep in the a.m., so you all can have my brekkie in the exec lounge

Cheers.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: LH
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If I recall SMD1 correctly,...
Finally, someone confirming my best knowledge of the fellow FTlers.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If I recall SMD1 correctly, we 'booked' hotels via the SMD registration form when we did final sign-up/payment for stuff. It's been a while & I could be wrong, so don't take it as gospel. I'm sure the organizers will let us know how to do it all.

Re: us all clamoring for upgrades due to having same status, I look at it the same way as I did SMD1. We're not in our rooms that much, there are a lot of elites, there aren't that many suites, etc, so just expect a normal room & one won't be disappointed. I mean seriously, unless someone is having a party, will the world fall apart if people don't get suites, or is it just the ego thing of I got one?

OTOH, the hotels should probably overstaff the exec lounges cuz the newly-minted Plats will probably descend upon those by the masses If SMD2 is like SMD1, I'll probably be in the bar w/ other FTers closing it down & will opt for sleep in the a.m., so you all can have my brekkie in the exec lounge

Cheers.
Thanks for the reminder -- I just couldn't remember how we booked the Sheraton last year! I will wait for more details. I simply wanted to make sure that I had the rooms reserved!^
Old Jul 25, 2010, 3:03 pm

Yes, we will facilitate bookings for the hotels through the main registration page. You should have already indicated your intentions for hotel nights when making the original deposit payment but those can still be changed. You will pay the hotel directly at the property.

Keep in mind that the benefits will only come if booked through the group.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 4:30 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by sbm12
those can still be changed
Thanks Seth - how/where do we make changes? Or is this facility still "under construction" ?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by CJ1120
Will this count as a status match? And therefore will be the one and only match we can ever do in our lifetime?
I'm very interested to hear an official word on this issue.

I'm not too interested if it is the 'once in a lifetime status match' that pretty much could be acquired from SPG when you're top tier on another major hotel loyalty program (assuming SPG does this which I believe they do.). If it is the once in a lifetime, that would be a deal breaker for me as opposed to an enticement to stay SPG.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Renard
deal breaker for me
What deal? I have never heard, that the organizers promised something about SPG.

There are guys that do the best they can do for us. They are organizing this event.^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by chumbawumba; Jul 26, 2010 at 12:32 am
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
As usual (atleast it was last year) you will be mailed a starwood link where you can book your room at the hotel you indicated you wanted to stay in. The bookings made there will be monitored by me to check if all is kosher. These bookings will show up in your spg profile and can be cancelled if required upto 3 days before arrival.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:45 am

If it is the once in a lifetime, that would be a deal breaker for me as opposed to an enticement to stay SPG.
You don't have to do it if you don't want to.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I'm very interested to hear an official word on this issue.
I agree - I would like to hear the official word on the SPG match. (If this is the same as the "once" match - then one could do it now - outside of the program).

With the number of people attending and the schedule times of the events - there may not be much time to make use of the features associated with the status.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
C'mon guys - it's a freebie. Thank whatever deity you believe in, smile and say thanks.

Last year the main thrust of the Do was to be immersed in things airplane, *A and Airbus in roughly that order. This year substitute Boeing for Airbus and there we have it. Anything else is merely a bonus brought to us by our hard-working organizers and generous sponsors.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz
C'mon guys - it's a freebie. Thank whatever deity you believe in, smile and say thanks.

Last year the main thrust of the Do was to be immersed in things airplane, *A and Airbus in roughly that order. This year substitute Boeing for Airbus and there we have it. Anything else is merely a bonus brought to us by our hard-working organizers and generous sponsors.
Because FT does not allow to thank you by an klick ---

^^^^^^^^^^^
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RCyyz
SPG Platinum is a onetime freebie unrelated to the SMD2 for those with top tier in another hotel program. You can get it anytime - but only once (ever).

Some here may not want to exercise that once only freebie - if that is the case. I think it is a very valid question that many here would like answered to make an educated decision. While the answer may not be known right now - hopefully the answer will be known come August when the website comes up.

If I want the freebie - I can call SPG now and get it without waiting until August - but I do not want to exercise the freebie at this time.

There is plenty of time to thank the organizers. This thread is for posting valid questions so answers can be obtained - if necessary - later. If all attendees posted a thank you everytime a feature is added - this thread would get overwhelmed. I stopped posting - but I do have a valid question - like others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.