Reload this Page >

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
AC was very clear last year: we have to buy miles from Aeroplan if we want to credit some, no freebies.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:32 am
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by oliver2002
AC was very clear last year: we have to buy miles from Aeroplan if we want to credit some, no freebies.
Yes, even AC has to pay for the miles from Aeroplan, don't they?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:49 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
That is what happens when FFP's are sold, yes, the original airline has to buy miles from its own former program, so instead of the FFP being an asset, the plan becomes a huge liability. However, they probably did negotiate a favorable purchase rate, because of the huge volume of miles they need to buy to fulfill the flight credits.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 5:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Starwood goodies

All,

We have secured the following for all SMD participants:

1000 Starpoints pr. night in addition to what's normally awarded

If you have a top tier level with any other major program, you will get Starwood Platinum instantly. We will open up a simple online form where this is done some time in August.

Starwood also has many great surprises along the way ^^
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:09 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Awesome Tommy! ^^^^
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by tommy777
All,

If you have a top tier level with any other major program, you will get Starwood Platinum instantly. We will open up a simple online form where this is done some time in August.

Great!!!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
All,

Wow, I am impressed! Great going Tommy and all the organizers, thanks for all of your hard work!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:19 pm

This is excellent! Thanks tommy777 et al.

I suppose (as usual) Priority Club is excluded from this

Ah well. Not enough time to fast track a HH Diamond or IC RA....
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Thank you Tommy777 - this is excellent news.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Very attractive bonus and status match. For how long will the Plat SPG last? Through 2011 I'd assume, or just to the Feb 2011 benefit year end (with a possible fast track renewal)? Good job, SPG seems to be really buying into this. (I cringe to think of checking into the two hotels with everyone cuing for the Platinum Priority line! It proved quite daunting at the FRA Sheraton last year, amusing in fact...not to mention demands for upgrades.). Glad to read the upgrade in status can be requested when we do our bookings for the FRA, IAH and Seattle properties through the link that will be provided. (I've booked a week in Kyoto and Osaka immediately after the SMD2 with Westins in both cities so will be nice to stay as a Plat rather than non-descript Gold.)

As for Aeroplan and AC it was originally spun off as a separate shareholder company with AC's parent a major shareholder. But it was clear that the FF program was worth more than the airline at the time...and still is. For the SMDO1 it would have cost AC between $150 and $200 for maybe a dozen of we AC/AE members and there was no real return for AC. And while UA was generous with it's facilities open house, it did not think it could handle even a book transfer to give us FF miles to about a hundred or so participants.

Last edited by Shareholder; Jul 23, 2010 at 3:05 am
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:23 pm

Programs: LH
We have secured the following for all SMD participants
^^^^^ Thanks ^^^^^
Old Jul 23, 2010, 2:12 am

That's good news with SPG! Thank you!!

As I just some minutes ago decided to concentrate on SPG after all that I had with priorityclub, it's coming to the right time.

Will we get further information which "top tiers" will be matched to platinum?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I know it has been mentioned in this thread numerous times, but Im struggling to find a way to make this work. I can attend the Nov. 1-4 events (TATL flights, FRA event, IAH events), but have to leave Nov. 4 due to other commitments. This means I will not book the charter...which means I cannot attend anything if I understand correctly. Are there any workarounds to this? For example, partnering with someone who can only attend the US portion? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:07 am

Will this count as a status match? And therefore will be the one and only match we can ever do in our lifetime?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by CJ1120
Will this count as a status match? And therefore will be the one and only match we can ever do in our lifetime?
I think it will be the only you could ever do since SPG has a policy (I think) that once you have made platinum, they don't ever allow a status match after that, even if you drop from platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.