StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Subscribe
Quote: * My 'guess' is that the LX pricing includes the return on LH440 w/ the rest of the group, regardless if you took LH or LX over.
I'd be surprised if this were the case - given the LX option is half the price of the LH option for the same class of service (business).

At any rate, I look forward to learning more as the organizers have time to share.
Quote: I'd be surprised if this were the case - given the LX option is half the price of the LH option for the same class of service (business).

At any rate, I look forward to learning more as the organizers have time to share.
* Hey, I said my eyes weren't open yet w/o any tea; didn't notice the dif in price - and who knew Germans could drink so much

* Ditto the look forward to learning more as they have time to share - and holding the $100 deposit in my hot little hand ready to book

Cheers.
Quote: Now, for the first stupid question of this thread....

If we opt for the 1way LX option ex-JFK, is there an "official" return option (and associated price) to get us back to IAH?
Yes you can combine LH440/LX 15

Quote: Great start.

1. If the charter ends in PAE, hopefully CO will offer a oneway fare back to IAH. (But hopefully CO provides one of the charter aircraft).

2. Charter is requirement for participation as indicated, including FRA party. But I assume, if you are on the charter, buying TATL tickets through group fares is not required for FRA party participation, since starting points can be FRA, IAH, PHX. (ie you fly the CO flight from FRA-IAH).

Why not make the CO flight (CO47) an option (like the LX option). CO47 is also LH7601. With the quiet 7pm reception at IAH - should work for those who arrive later on the CO flight and want more time in FRA in the morning and want to experience CO flight.
1. CO will offer a meetingworks code to get discounts, no more. Six months time is surely enough for a FTer to come up with a way to fly SEA-IAH at a decent price.
2. You are free to book alternative routes/tickets/awards to get to FRA or IAH or PHX to suit your shedule, but be aware that we will not help you get accomodated if the shedule of events changes for whatever reason.
(3.) CO didn't want to participate in the group fare. Again, this is six months out, you have ample time to seek a cost effective pricing to be on CO 47 in order to get some beauty sleep in FRA.
Quote:
3. Maybe cuz pricing worked better w/ LH? If you're doing your own booking, presumably you can show up if the party's still going if you went CO. Guess the question I'd have is why fly a separate airline on both segments when there probably won't be any/many FTers just to attend the party in FRA? Part of the overall exerience is to be surrounded by your fellow wacky FTers
Still fly the JFK-FRA LH405 which is the big A380 (hopefully) party flight with kickoff party in the LH lounge at JFK. This is the reason to fly over. Most flying LH405 will be able to get in the LH lounge - even if no planned party in the lounge. Then attend the FRA party.

Then fly from FRA-IAH on LH7601 (instead of LH440). LH7601 is CO47.

So you are ticketed on LH both segments. Yes LH440 will be the party flight- but it is a 744 (not a A380). If some fly LH7601 - then another party on the CO flight. (The code share allows purchasing the mix of metal and of course *A reward travel allows the mix.)

I found at SMDI - most people ate and went to sleep on LH405 on the way over - so not much of a party (at least in Y). Most partying was in the lounge. But if LH405 is the A380 - then that is the reason to fly over, and the FRA party is a bonus.

The FRA-IAH is a daytime flight - so more chance for party flight - but this is still a regular flight - not a charter - so not the same kind of party as the charter.

CO might be able to price out a deal with LH - since LH sells seats on CO47 as LH7601.
Quote: p.s on a different tangent...I'm kinda bummed the LH fare isn't upgradeable, as I think it would be a hoot to watch all the FTers with their paper SWUs fighting it out at the gate
Well, it wasn't upgradable last year and still people waved their SWUs around right in front of me in JFK. The flight was oversold and we had to put our foot down that no one sneaked in an upgrade Later some upgraded on their way back and the famous CT article made fun on how a non upgradable fare was upgraded
Quote: CO might be able to price out a deal with LH - since LH sells seats on CO47 as LH7601.
Group fares are usually only on the metal of the carrier offering the fare. No codeshares allowed.

CO publishes all regular fares ex US/CA, so get some of your fellow mates to buy a trip on CO 47
Quote: 1. CO will offer a meetingworks code to get discounts, no more. Six months time is surely enough for a FTer to come up with a way to fly SEA-IAH at a decent price.
2. You are free to book alternative routes/tickets/awards to get to FRA or IAH or PHX to suit your shedule, but be aware that we will not help you get accomodated if the shedule of events changes for whatever reason.
(3.) CO didn't want to participate in the group fare. Again, this is six months out, you have ample time to seek a cost effective pricing to be on CO 47 in order to get some beauty sleep in FRA.
Thanks Oliver for quick feedback. One can always change start to IAH (from JFK) if there are schedule changes to FRA event or flight over - if you have a cancelable ticket for no fee (not obtained through group fare).

Let's just say I am ticketed (and can cancel or change for no fee), and should be rested with lie flat on both segments.
Thank you Oliver. Everything will all be confirmed very soon. We are finalizing the charter and we are also negotiating the fares on the TATL portions.

Quote: Still fly the JFK-FRA LH405 which is the big A380 (hopefully) party flight with kickoff party in the LH lounge at JFK. This is the reason to fly over. Most flying LH405 will be able to get in the LH lounge - even if no planned party in the lounge. Then attend the FRA party.

Then fly from FRA-IAH on LH7601 (instead of LH440). LH7601 is CO47.

So you are ticketed on LH both segments. Yes LH440 will be the party flight- but it is a 744 (not a A380). If some fly LH7601 - then another party on the CO flight. (The code share allows purchasing the mix of metal and of course *A reward travel allows the mix.)

I found at SMDI - most people ate and went to sleep on LH405 on the way over - so not much of a party (at least in Y). Most partying was in the lounge. But if LH405 is the A380 - then that is the reason to fly over, and the FRA party is a bonus.

The FRA-IAH is a daytime flight - so more chance for party flight - but this is still a regular flight - not a charter - so not the same kind of party as the charter.

CO might be able to price out a deal with LH - since LH sells seats on CO47 as LH7601.
Sure, do whatever you want, but please note that if you deviate from the official program and choose other flights, you will miss parts of the program. Last year, there were a lot of surprises along the way not published, so to get the most of the event, I recommend people to tag along the official program.

For example: The program in Houston on Wednesday will start at the time the CO Frankfurt flight lands..
Quote: Still fly the JFK-FRA LH405 which is the big A380 (hopefully) party flight with kickoff party in the LH lounge at JFK. This is the reason to fly over.
Quote:
But if LH405 is the A380 - then that is the reason to fly over, and the FRA party is a bonus.
You may like to take a look at the M&M forum or this press release?
http://presse.lufthansa.com/en/news-...icle/1691.html

A miracle might happen but it seems unlikely...

I've costed MAN-FRA-IAH//SEA-FRA-MAN in C and it came to 6,031 GBP! Needless to say I'm looking forward to a group fare.
Quote: The scheduled flights
The price currently is:
LH JFK-FRA-IAH: 2748US$++ (3128$ a.i.) in Z, 320US$++ (700$ a.i.) in W/S
LX JFK-xZRH-FRA: 1566$ a.i. in Business, 341$ a.i. in Economy
SK: awaiting feedback
CO: no group fare offered
Hm... last year we had V (and thus 100% mileage on CO)...
Ah well, might mean I need to tag on some extra flying...
Quote: You may like to take a look at the M&M forum or this press release?
http://presse.lufthansa.com/en/news-...icle/1691.html

A miracle might happen but it seems unlikely...

I've costed MAN-FRA-IAH//SEA-FRA-MAN in C and it came to 6,031 GBP! Needless to say I'm looking forward to a group fare.
I have been following the M&M forum. They are also discussing that with 2 aircraft - LH could do NRT and fit in the JFK flight - and the timing would be LH405 from JFK-FRA. So still possible
I'm so looking forward to November

Quote:
November 6
Participants start their their journey home: Europeans take LH 491 (dep. 15.45) back to FRA)
I know you're all very busy, but I have to ask if it'd be possible to stay for an extra day in Seattle for same price before flying back to Europe? Us Europeans like to shop in the U.S. as almost everything is so much cheaper!

Will LH also be offering add-on flights/fares to/from FRA for us Europeans? It'd be good to have all flights under one ticket.
Thanks for organizing this, it looks great! The highlight is of course PAE and the 748i, but I also like the quick turn-around in Europe. I'm a bit torn here, as I want to try LX, but I wouldn't want to pass on the chance to fly the LH A380. Do you think there's any chance LH will announce the A380 schedule before our bookings are due?

Also, for those who start at JFK and end in Seattle. You said there might be a discount on SEA-IAH. Would it work for other endpoints too (eg SFO)? Any chance we might also get a discount on the positioning flight to JFK? I think something like this was mentioned at the launch party. As you said, there's plenty of time for us to find suitable flights, but I'd prefer to book everything through SMD2 and I'd guess I'm not the only one.

Thanks again for organizing this! I hope I didn't come off as too pushy asking for details.
The whole thing sounds fantastic to me! I can't believe the amount of work you guys have put into this to make it happen for all of us! Bravo!

Question, how do the organizers feel about people using Star Alliance carrier miles (in my case US) to book tickets on LH405 and LH440 in any class (I was able to reserve LH405 in F, LH440 so far only in Y, or whatever the fare classes are for LH) of service? I have the miles and would prefer to use them and save the money. I have the flights reserved now, but before confirming the reservation, and actually "spending" the miles, I wanted to make sure I am not screwing anything up, either for myself, or for the organizers. Comments please?
Quote: Also, for those who start at JFK and end in Seattle. You said there might be a discount on SEA-IAH. Would it work for other endpoints too (eg SFO)? Any chance we might also get a discount on the positioning flight to JFK? I think something like this was mentioned at the launch party. As you said, there's plenty of time for us to find suitable flights, but I'd prefer to book everything through SMD2 and I'd guess I'm not the only one.

Thanks again for organizing this! I hope I didn't come off as too pushy asking for details.
+1

I'm also curious if that is still the case. I heard something about $150 positioning flight...
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  12  52  102