Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Just got the good news that CO agreed to offer a FRA-IAH option. It was requested along with the OS group booking so as things stand right now, if you are taking the OS JFK-VIE-FRA outbound, you can come back on CO FRA-IAH on CO 47. We are holding 15 business seats on the OS and CO flights!^

Amended the post on top of the thread accordingly:
^^^ Maybe start the party at 8pm instead of 7pm. Those coming on the LH flight will need more beauty sleep when they arrive at IAH.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by cova
^^^ Maybe start the party at 8pm instead of 7pm. Those coming on the LH flight will need more beauty sleep when they arrive at IAH.
Bad idea. There are plenty of us that need to drive home after the party. Don't want us falling asleep driving home would you?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
The FRA-IAH and SEA-FRA group fare is now on request, we expect to get a similar fare in business for the europeans as the participants originating in the US have received (3200$ or aprox 2500 all in)
Will it be possible to only book FRA-IAH (in addition to the charter) and fix my SEA-Europe flight on my own?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
A suggestion: like last year, could you publish a list of participants and flights/routings, as folks fill in the form and sign up? The list doesn't need to mention names/handles; I'm just curious to see how many of us are considering the LX, OS and CO options.

Considering that the price of outbound LX/OS + inbound CO in business is roughly equivalent to the price of LH business r/t, and considering that I have yet to try the LX and CO products (where as I've flown LH C too many times and it's very unlikely we'll see an A380) I'd love to go for the non-LH options, but I want to make sure there will be enough other fellow FTers on these flights.

Also considering that LX and OS depart earlier than LH from JFK, details on any planned events at JFK would be appreciated (just snacks at the lounge, or more?)
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
The moderators and Randy will stay back in SEA for the weekend for a meeting, so the hotel will be downtown.
<Beavis mode>
Heh-heh... heh-heh... "for a meeting" heh-heh...

Admit it, you guys are staying in Seattle for the weekend film festival, aren't you!

(not that there's anything wrong with that!)
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by asya999
<Beavis mode>
Heh-heh... heh-heh... "for a meeting" heh-heh...
Admit it, you guys are staying in Seattle for the weekend film festival, aren't you!
I wish it were... its the mod do, which usually means spending they day in a hotel meeting room with your fellow mods, followed by a dinner.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Any idea on what the various Sheratons are going to cost? I checked the first few posts & it just said special pricing.

Cheers.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

We are asking for 99$/ like last year.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:51 pm

We are asking for 99$/€ like last year.
Sounds good - and we'd be very thankful - if you can do that!

99 US dollars, that is... not 99 Euro (although that is still a decent rate that would need much elbow power to obtain)
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:45 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
We are asking for 99$/ like last year.
Oliver, not meaning to be dense, but are you suggesting that $ and are roughly interchangeable? At present exchange rates, 99 = $120.60, that is quite a difference, no?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:55 am

Europe hotels are more expensive than US hotels in IAH.

We paid 99 Euros at the FRA Sheraton last year - a very good rate. You will not find a better rate than that.

$99 is about the rate we have paid at the IAH Sheraton for past CO DOs. Although some have be able to get better than $99 at the IAH Sheraton with some other codes.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:09 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by cova
Europe hotels are more expensive than US hotels in IAH.

We paid 99 Euros at the FRA Sheraton last year - a very good rate. You will not find a better rate than that.

$99 is about the rate we have paid at the IAH Sheraton for past CO DOs. Although some have be able to get better than $99 at the IAH Sheraton with some other codes.
If they do get 99 for the Sheraton FRA, then I agree it will be a good rate, since their published rack rate for that night is 208 as of this moment.

On the other hand, $99 is good, but not great for IAH IMO. The Houston Marriott North at Greenspoint is only $79/night for the two nights we are there. If that is their published rate, then I would bet for a group booking, we could get it down to the $60-65 range, which would be truly great. That Marriott is only 15 minutes to IAH.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:10 am
Original Poster

I meant 99 in Europe, 99$ in the land of the free.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by tommy777
Starwood properties:

New York
TBD

Frankfurt

Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Towers

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...propertyID=363

Houston

Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...propertyID=861

This property is fine, has recently been redone. All buses and activities will originate/be here.

Seattle
TBD, most likely Sheraton Seattle
The Westin Seattle is outstanding, and used to be the flagship of the old Western International chain when they were based in SEA. :-:
Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by USirritated
On the other hand, $99 is good, but not great for IAH IMO. The Houston Marriott North at Greenspoint is only $79/night for the two nights we are there. If that is their published rate, then I would bet for a group booking, we could get it down to the $60-65 range, which would be truly great. That Marriott is only 15 minutes to IAH.
The IAH Greenspoint is not that convenient. At past CO DO's, we have used the IAH Marriott, IAH Sheraton, and IAH Doubletree (across the street from the Sheraton). The IAH Marriott is most convenient since it is in the terminal but usually a little more expensive on the group rate. The indication from Tommy777 is that all buses will leave from the Sheraton.

Hence my earlier question - if at the IAH Marriott you are at the terminal and do not need a bus to the airport - but then you need to get to the Sheraton for the parties.

Question:

What is the location of all of the events at IAH, including the FT awards?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.