Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 5:30 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Tommy met with Starwood last week to work out the details: the starwood contact was busy with personal matter the past months, so details are yet to be confirmed.

Yes we will arrange transportation to/from the venues to the specified hotels. You are free to choose any type of accommodation of location you like, however you then have to arrange your own transportation and be at the assigned meeting points in due time. We are aware of the PAE situation. The moderators and Randy will stay back in SEA for the weekend for a meeting, so the hotel will be downtown.
Oliver-

Could you at least tell us the names of the Starwood Hotels being considered for FRA, IAH, and SEA?

That way, if some of us wish to stay in other hotels we can make our choices based on proximity to the HQ hotel in each location.

Thank you!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by USirritated
Oliver-

Could you at least tell us the names of the Starwood Hotels being considered for FRA, IAH, and SEA?

That way, if some of us wish to stay in other hotels we can make our choices based on proximity to the HQ hotel in each location.

Thank you!

IAH, I am sure, is the wretched IAH Sheraton...overpriced and oversmoked in the 1980's.... SPG, please open an aloft at IAH, please, please, please!!!!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 5:47 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
And FRA is possibly Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Towers like last year?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
There are LOTS of assumptions there! I don't know about everyone else, but I for one would like to know the answers from the organizers, rather than myriad speculation that might gum up the works!
Originally Posted by sbm12
Indeed, this is quite a wise approach to the situation.

If y'all have questions please feel free to ask. Put please don't post speculation about the itinerary, locations, transportation or other bits. You simply don't know the answers and you do a disservice to your fellow participants in the event to post potentially misleading information in this thread.

We will be providing answers to everything as we have them and as appropriate to confirm various details of the event. Please do not assume anything that you haven't heard from an official source.
Originally Posted by theblakefish
IAH, I am sure, is the wretched IAH Sheraton...overpriced and oversmoked in the 1980's.... SPG, please open an aloft at IAH, please, please, please!!!!
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
And FRA is possibly Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Towers like last year?
In my post, #152, I asked politely for less speculation, since it has a tendency to confuse the situation, not clarify it, and sbm12 chimed right in with his agreement and advice.

No offense to anyone intended in any way whatsoever, however, I, for one, would really and truly like my answers from the organizers and moderators here, and I am GUESSING that there are other readers/participants that probably feel the same. I appreciate that many of you THINK YOU KNOW the answers, and have :-:SMDO I:-: to use as your guide, but for those of us WHO DO NOT KNOW the answers, we would appreciate knowing from the proverbial horse's mouth. Less confusion for all, don't you think?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:15 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
In my post, #152, I asked politely for less speculation, since it has a tendency to confuse the situation, not clarify it, and sbm12 chimed right in with his agreement and advice.
A rather healthy percentage of posts on FT are speculation, conjecture and assumptions. You gotta get over your fears there USirritated and not get irritated by them, otherwise these admonishments become rather irritating.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:48 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Starwood properties:

New York
TBD

Frankfurt

Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Towers

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...propertyID=363

Houston

Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...propertyID=861

This property is fine, has recently been redone. All buses and activities will originate/be here.

Seattle
TBD, most likely Sheraton Seattle
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Howdy all,

It has been said that, yes, there is a lot of speculation and many "grey areas" with any FT event, but since the cost to fly to Europe is so high, would the organizers be able to share a bit more about what we can expect from the 26-hour "layover" in FRA? I, for one, and 2/3 of the way towards booking a seat in J there, but I surely would like to know what to expect, and since it is just a MR, in essence, I would like to know what events are planned beyond the get-together the first night.

Many thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by starflyergold
A rather healthy percentage of posts on FT are speculation, conjecture and assumptions. You gotta get over your fears there USirritated and not get irritated by them, otherwise these admonishments become rather irritating.
I am sorry to have irritated you. However, this is not a typical FT thread. This is a thread that deals with a specific upcoming event. In most cases, FT threads deal with what went on in the past, or what MIGHT be coming in the future, and are designed for speculation.

That is NOT TRUE in this thread!

In this thread, we are dealing with a specific event, with set dates. Many people are rearranging their schedules and everyone who joins up will be spending their own money to attend. It is a lot less important when speculation goes on in an average thread, but in this thread, it affects people's lives and pocket books. Also, the moderators and organizers, who are donating their time, have asked that people NOT SPECULATE and create confusion, if for no other reason than it makes what they are doing more difficult.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:04 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Question:

1. Will the CO charter to PHX-PAE, depart from a regular CO gate at IAH or from a remote hanger area? (ask because of possible hotel choice if not staying at IAH Sheraton)

2. Will a large bus be provided to get from the IAH Sheraton to the CO charter flight? Likewise for arrival in IAH from FRA? (rather than everyone trying to use the Sheraton minibuses)
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
1. most probably, no concrete plans for that yet

2. We will provide proper transportation
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by cova
Question:

1. Will the CO charter to PHX-PAE, depart from a regular CO gate at IAH or from a remote hanger area? (ask because of possible hotel choice if not staying at IAH Sheraton)
My guess will be that they opt for a remote hanger. I don't think CO wants 150+ FTers descending on the PClub right before the flight
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cova
Question:

2. Will a large bus be provided to get from the IAH Sheraton to the CO charter flight? Likewise for arrival in IAH from FRA? (rather than everyone trying to use the Sheraton minibuses)
I'm working with CO's charter department to depart from the hangar area, that's my goal.

There will be real buses throughout the event
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by tommy777
I'm working with CO's charter department to depart from the hangar area, that's my goal.

There will be real buses throughout the event
Super Tommy, thanks for the information. I know that lots of people appreciate your hard work and attention to detail, as they do the other organizers too.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:33 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Just got the good news that CO agreed to offer a FRA-IAH option. It was requested along with the OS group booking so as things stand right now, if you are taking the OS JFK-VIE-FRA outbound, you can come back on CO FRA-IAH on CO 47. We are holding 15 business seats on the OS and CO flights!^

Amended the post on top of the thread accordingly:

CO: FRA-IAH: 1346$++ in Business (Z) (this request was placed in conjunction with the OS fare, so you may have to take OS J out, CO Z inbound)
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

The FRA-IAH and SEA-FRA group fare is now on request, we expect to get a similar fare in business for the europeans as the participants originating in the US have received (3200$ or aprox 2500€ all in)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.