Reload this Page >

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
So, rereading the first post, unlike last year there is no flat $150 fare for positioning to JFK to start TATL or from IAH when charter ends, and we're on our own to find the cheapest fares we can find on whichever airline for these 2 flights, since the most that CO will offer is a 5-10% discount meeting works discount based on demand, yet we don't know when they'll determine if there is a demand.

Is my understanding correct? Just need to know so I can start checking 1-way fares to JFK & from IAH. I know sbm12 posted one the other day for those who might be starting in IAH & coming from NYC area.

I'm sure someone posted somewhere in the thread, but I haven't had my first cup of tea yet this morning so can't find it. What time does the flight land at IAH on the 6th, so we know what time to book on-going 1-way from there?

Also, I know that 5/31 was mentioned as the start of sign-up, but that's a bank holiday in a # of countries, so I'm guessing it might be on the 1st? If you can give a couple of days heads up before booking starts, that will help some of us who need to transfer or move around $5K to have it available when booking opens.

Cheers.
Also, some of us might make the decision on whether or not to take the re-positioning leg back to IAH depending upon whether or not our upgrade clears into F. If I get downgraded to Y after booking F for the charter, I would think twice about that last leg to IAH. On the other hand, if there are enough open seats for an E+ option for the involuntary downgrades, I would still strongly consider the PAE-IAH leg. So my ability to commit to a positioning leg on CO (vs. UA out of SEA) would be dependent upon whether or not I would be in Y-.

And I second what SkiAdcock said about a few days' notice. Some of us actually plan our meeting schedule around when booking opens up, and I would need time to move meetings around. (You think I'm kidding? )

However the details play out, I sure appreciate all of the hard work which is going into the planning!
Old May 25, 2010, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by SS255
Also, some of us might make the decision on whether or not to take the re-positioning leg back to IAH depending upon whether or not our upgrade clears into F. If I get downgraded to Y after booking F for the charter, I would think twice about that last leg to IAH. On the other hand, if there are enough open seats for an E+ option for the involuntary downgrades, I would still strongly consider the PAE-IAH leg. So my ability to commit to a positioning leg on CO (vs. UA out of SEA) would be dependent upon whether or not I would be in Y-.

And I second what SkiAdcock said about a few days' notice. Some of us actually plan our meeting schedule around when booking opens up, and I would need time to move meetings around. (You think I'm kidding? )

However the details play out, I sure appreciate all of the hard work which is going into the planning!
Plus1!^ Quite a few details to consider & registration isn't even open yet!
Old May 25, 2010, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
If I get downgraded to Y after booking F for the charter, I would think twice about that last leg to IAH. On the other hand, if there are enough open seats for an E+ option for the involuntary downgrades, I would still strongly consider the PAE-IAH leg. So my ability to commit to a positioning leg on CO (vs. UA out of SEA) would be dependent upon whether or not I would be in Y-.
Can't we just buy a coach seat plus an empty middle seat in coach for, like, USD 999 total? After all, the empty seat doesn't participate at those expensive the dinners and tours.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If we have anyone who's good at finding cheap fares, please let me know! Right now to get to JFK/EWR from ORD on the 1st on UA on a 1-way is showing $423-550 . Coming back from Houston on the 6th isn't that great either, so that would lean me towards UA SEA-ORD since that's only $197. Adding close to $700 on for positioning flights is really starting to make this tres expensive!

I acknowledge up front I'm not good at finding the cheap fares, so any help appreciated.
Obviously there's still time to book the positioning flights if they're to be booked separately from the TATL & charter flights.

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Also, some of us might make the decision on whether or not to take the re-positioning leg back to IAH depending upon whether or not our upgrade clears into F.
I think everyone is getting too hung up about F on the Charter. This will be a morning flight to PHX, then to PAE. You may not want to eat and drink too much on the charter since the main event is at PAE in the afternoon and evening.

And we will need specific details on return positioning flight to make decisions - so hopefully that will be posted at time booking opens on May 31.

Also - as indicated by the organizing team at the beginning - there is flexibility in booking TATL sections, with the only requirement being participation in the Charter to attend any of the events, including events in FRA (except FT awards in IAH).

Seems like once the charter is booked - your point of entry should be flexible.

Now I understand from the accounting perspective - it makes sense to have you book all at once:

1. Charter only
-- or
2. Charter and group TATL.

But the entry point should be flexible, ie start in FRA without TATL group purchase if desired.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by cova
You may not want to eat and drink too much on the charter since the main event is at PAE in the afternoon and evening.
Are you sure you're an FTer??? Having main events in Oslo & Toulouse didn't stop a lot of us from eating and drinking (the latter a lot) on StarMegaDo1

http://public.fotki.com/SkiAdcock/fl...hflig-137.html

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The group fare will have the feeder segment surcharge (last year it was 150$/segment in Y/V) if you need a segment to get to JFK to hop onto the LX or LH flight. However, this needs to be booked in conjunction with the group fare and not as a standalone. So if you want to to book ORD-JFK-FRA-IAH its no problem. But booking JFK-FRA-IAH// SEA-IAH is not possible under this deal.
If we have anyone who's good at finding cheap fares, please let me know! Right now to get to JFK/EWR from ORD on the 1st on UA on a 1-way is showing $423-550 . Coming back from Houston on the 6th isn't that great either, so that would lean me towards UA SEA-ORD since that's only $197. Adding close to $700 on for positioning flights is really starting to make this tres expensive!
See oliver2002 earlier post. Positioning flight from ORD-JFK can be added to group fare, SEA-IAH cannot.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:23 am

Thanks cova. I didn't catch that at first since it was in post #33. That will help.

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Are you sure you're an FTer??? Having main events in Oslo & Toulouse didn't stop a lot of us from eating and drinking (the latter a lot) on StarMegaDo1
+1. I took a pic of my watch beside my first glass of champagne just to prove that I really did start at 05h57.

And I only started at 05h57 because those farking mods were sooo slow at serving!
Old May 25, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
What about connection within Europe for those of us not based in Frankfurt? Is the TATL offer only valid to/from FRA or to other points in Europe too?
Old May 25, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I don't plan on leaving SEA Saturday morning to rush back to IAH... so I booked a one-way UA reward ticket for SEA-IAH to return Sunday. Seattle is one of my favorite cities and I will be in no hurry to rush back to Houston. I spend too much time there as it is
Old May 26, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Does anyone have any idea how late activities will end on November 5? I will not hold anyone to it, I just want a rough idea, since I need to be in MSY on November 6, and thinking about taking a redeye on November 5 at midnight +/-
Old May 26, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G
TATL Ticket Combinations

Can I put in a flag for the Europeans who do want to be at the FRA event on the 2nd, but might not want to fly back to FRA with LH?

(I realise that might just be me).

It would be great if we could combine on a half-round-trip basis an LH FRA-IAH fare and (say) a CO SEA/IAH-EWR-BRS fare.

I think this is allowed by the fare rules, but it would be great if a friendly FT TA could offer to do those bookings for those of us interested.

I want to try fly CO076 on 6-NOV EWR-BRS, as it's the last EWR-BRS flight, and I had planned to do CO077 BRS-EWR on 07-NOV which is the last flight back. (And then fly to EWR-LHR on 07-NOV evening).
Old May 26, 2010, 2:16 pm
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
Originally Posted by Someone83
What about connection within Europe for those of us not based in Frankfurt? Is the TATL offer only valid to/from FRA or to other points in Europe too?

My understanding is that the TATL offer is people based in the US. We are still waiting for details on offers ex-europe participants. Nice offers on intra-europe flights to/from FRA would for sure be nice too (last i checked, i could still get the lowest prices on ARN-FRA-ARN though)
Old May 27, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
Yes the current TATL offer is ex-US only.

BristolTraveller I'm with you on having a non-LH return option... not sure I'd be up for doing the BRS route back, but could be tempted to still do CO straight back to the UK (so probably EWR-LHR).

Or even better get an option to fly back via LAX and take NZ LAX-LHR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.