Community
Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2010, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Seattle has a Light Rail Link Downtown to Seatac Airport

Since I'm a Seattle-area resident, I would like to point out that there is a convenient, frequent Light Rail link from downtown Seattle to Seatac Airport. The Westlake station is within 2-3 blocks of both the Sheraton and Westin hotels. The trip by light rail takes about 35 minutes. No need for a bus or taxi. So if the hotel is in downtown Seattle, anyone flying from Seatac has an easy, cheap way to get there. Fare is $2.50.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Oh. Hell. Yes. How did I miss this thread?? Due to a downturn in my employment status last year, I was forced to miss the SMD1...and it just to happens that the 2010 Big XII Conference Football Champion Texas A&M Aggies have two homes games bookending SMD2, and I can certainly fit this one in. Thanks to all of the planners for pulling this one together!!!
Old May 23, 2010, 2:26 am

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
Regarding the TATL prices, is it possible to combine classes? I.e. business one way and economy the other?
Old May 23, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
Originally Posted by Someone83
Regarding the TATL prices, is it possible to combine classes? I.e. business one way and economy the other?
I would be interested in this as well.
Old May 23, 2010, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by USirritated
A big thanks to tommy777 (Tommy), oliver2002 (Oliver), xyzzy (Reb), and sbm12 (Seth) for putting this fantastic program together.

Thanks for the explanation about the background for the charter pricing and program. I am enthusiastic about the whole program, and wish I could send my $100 right now for the charter in F.

So, if there is such a thing as pre-reserving a seat in F for the charter, count me in for one F seat!

Sure, I have a variety of questions, but I figure most or all of them will be answered by the organizers as they post more details.
Obviously demand for F will significantly outstrip supply. I humbly suggest decisions on who gets F be based on early payment and FT status (i.e. length of time on FT and number of posts).
Old May 23, 2010, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Obviously demand for F will significantly outstrip supply. I humbly suggest decisions on who gets F be based on early payment and FT status (i.e. length of time on FT and number of posts).
Maybe it should depend on who paid J for the previous MegaDO charter!!
Old May 23, 2010, 8:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
number of FT posts sounds good to me
Old May 23, 2010, 8:57 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by ac777
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
number of FT posts sounds good to me
Oy freaking VEY!
Old May 23, 2010, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If we sign up for the charter, can we add the TATL at a later point? Or does everything have to be booked at once?
Old May 23, 2010, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ac777
^
Old May 24, 2010, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well there was a lot of paid J seats on last year's charter, and not as many seats in F this year. I think last year's J was at least double this year's F seating.

Obviously there's more demand than availability, unless they go to the blocked middle seats. Like others, I prefer F. Maybe they need a roll-call of those who are willing to pay for F, and then toss the names in a hat & pull them out or do some type of random number assignment. Would suck not to have one's # picked, but also makes it more even in terms of chances (she says knowing nothing about statistics).

Crikey KiwiFlyer, I thought I had a lot of posts (actually I hadn't noticed mine until someone congratulated me recently on hitting 20,000) but yours is unbelievable

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Obviously there's more demand than availability....
In typical CO fashion: You cannot buy F even if you're willing to.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Maybe they need a roll-call of those who are willing to pay for F, and then toss the names in a hat & pull them out or do some type of random number assignment.
Yeah, that really makes a lot of sense for couples and groups.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by flysurfer
Yeah, that really makes a lot of sense for couples and groups.
We have 'groups' going on the SMDO??

Being single, hadn't thought of the couple thing; sorry 'bout that. But given the uniqueness of the trip, & the flights themselves aren't that long, & given that couples can presumably communicate on the ground & at other times, one could say:

a) hey, might happen you're split up if they do a lotto thing & only 1 makes it through, or -- swap seats on dif legs, so that one gets F on one leg, and the other on the other leg.

b) or, they have the option of:

* turning down the F if both can't make it & they really, really want to sit together, or
* giving the F seat to the better half for the entire charter & know you're a better man or woman for it

Anyway, I have no idea how the organizers will handle it. The random selection suggestion was just one possibility. I'll wait to hear like everyone else & keep fingers crossed like everyone else.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; May 24, 2010 at 10:53 am
Old May 24, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
And for those of us who submit the form and payment for F, but get downgraded to Y, will SMDII be offering a downgrade kit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.