StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Subscribe
Quote: Again, a big thanks for putting this together. I'd be one to take the CO repositioning flight back to IAH, as I'll most likely be passing on the trip to FRA and will be fly down to IAH for the domestic part of the DO.
Plus1!^
I think a lot of us are in the same boat - re:TATL!
For folks in the NYC area looking to position to IAH there is a nice DL sale going on right now. Not a *A carrier but it is only 1400 miles and the fares are a bargain. Give it a look.

Details in the MR forum.
StarMegaDO2
Thanks for the referral to DL: IAH-EWR $169. Since I read
Quote: ... November 6 ... the CO plane back to IAH at 9 am....
is it safe to assume the charter lands @ IAH ~2p (CT) thus could reasonably fly >4p (CT) onwards from IAH?

Quote: ... CO may (if there is sufficient demand) offer a meetingworks discount for all scheduled CO metal flights to and from the events like last year which is 5-10% off on published prices depending on the fare booked.
How do we indicate this such demand / is there anything we can do to better signal this demand? If there isn't a way and we'll just find out when we do, confirm explicitly so I don't wait.

Update:
Quote: ... The booking process will require you to provide:
- specify if you require a discount / meetingworks code to get to/from IAH and later SEA
is the answer, left indirectly.
Quote: Thanks for the referral to DL: IAH-EWR $169. Since I readis it safe to assume the charter lands @ IAH ~2p (CT) thus could reasonably fly >4p (CT) onwards from IAH?
The CO scheduled flight leaves SEA at 8:30a - arrives at IAH at 2:40p. Add 30 minutes to that - the arrival time would be 3:10p.

If you fly DL out of IAH - DL departs from Term A - which requires AirTrain to Term B, then Bus to Term A. I think 4pm would be tight.

And not clear whether we will be able to check luggage all the way through for connection at IAH on a separate ticket.
Quote: And not clear whether we will be able to check luggage all the way through for connection at IAH on a separate ticket.
Speaking of checking luggage, will be be able to check in luggage on the charter this time?

On last year's charter it was not possible, but this was not a problem since at the end of the day we ended up at the same place we left (with the exception of a few people who started in Oslo). Will it be possible to check luggage in on this year's charter, or do we need to plan for carry-on only?

Does PAE even have a set up for luggage delivery?
Quote: Speaking of checking luggage, will be be able to check in luggage on the charter this time?

On last year's charter it was not possible, but this was not a problem since at the end of the day we ended up at the same place we left (with the exception of a few people who started in Oslo). Will it be possible to check luggage in on this year's charter, or do we need to plan for carry-on only?

Does PAE even have a set up for luggage delivery?
Wow, important question! Something that I will really need to know in advance, since I am continuing from Everett on a 5 day business trip.
Quote: Does PAE even have a set up for luggage delivery?
Good question...

I'd be OK if there would be an option to store bags in IAH and take a small carry-on on the charter with enough for the night and then fly back to IAH in the morning...
Storing baggage in IAH will not be good for me, since I am going to take regular commercial scheduled service from SEA to MSY after the program at PAE.
Guys, do you seriously believe the organisers haven't thought about luggage? Unlike last year's charter many participants of SMD2 won't be doing a circular trip to return to IAH.

Let's wait for them to announce details and in the meantime worry about more serious matters such as whether they'll remember to pack corkscrews!
Quote: Guys, do you seriously believe the organisers haven't thought about luggage? Unlike last year's charter many participants of SMD2 won't be doing a circular trip to return to IAH.

Let's wait for them to announce details and in the meantime worry about more serious matters such as whether they'll remember to pack corkscrews!
Considering that PAE is an airport that does not have regular service, the luggage question is a legitimate one, and is also necessary to have the answer to, for planning purposes.
Deleted discussion on logistics at PAE and hotels in SEA.

I know it may be too early for many of the details to be worked out at this time. But it may be helpful to post a few thoughts on the logistics at PAE and what the current thinking is - even though it could change.

Some people are considering buying tickets from IAH to home - or maybe SEA to home - and the opitons under consideration would likely help.

With Starwood Lurker active on FT - I am sure the team is working with him.
Quote: There are a number of items that need to be addressed and I am sure that our organizers will consider.

Let me just point some things to consider related to PAE.

1. Assume we can check bags. Not enough room in the overheads and this is CO. SMD1 was just a day trip.

2. On arrival at PAE - our bags will need to be stored and I assume stored all the way through the party that evening. I would guess we would need to pick up bags from the charter, then check them at PAE and have them held through the tour and the evening party.

3. I assume we will have bus transportation to our hotel for Sat night - whether we stay in a hotel near Everett or in Seattle. There are no Starwood properties out near Everett. So if we use Starwood it would be the downtown hotels - Sheraton/Westin.

4. If the charter leaves out of PAE at 9am on Sat am - then we need bus transportation back to PAE. One might question whether it is worth it to go all the way to downtown Seattle on Friday night after the party, and then have to come all the way back early on Saturday morning.

5. If the charter has to ferry down to SEA - then downtown Seattle hotels work - since we can take airport bus or taxi to SEA.

6. If you do not take the charter back to IAH - then you can schedule to leave SEA later on Sat or stay over until Sunday. Folks going to FRA leave in the afternoon out of SEA on LH.

Lot's of logistics for the team to work out - but based on past experience - everything will work great.

But lots of things to consider if taking the charter back to IAH - versus separate ticket.
There are LOTS of assumptions there! I don't know about everyone else, but I for one would like to know the answers from the organizers, rather than myriad speculation that might gum up the works!
Quote: I don't know about everyone else, but I for one would like to know the answers from the organizers, rather than myriad speculation that might gum up the works!
Indeed, this is quite a wise approach to the situation.

If y'all have questions please feel free to ask. Put please don't post speculation about the itinerary, locations, transportation or other bits. You simply don't know the answers and you do a disservice to your fellow participants in the event to post potentially misleading information in this thread.

We will be providing answers to everything as we have them and as appropriate to confirm various details of the event. Please do not assume anything that you haven't heard from an official source.
Quote: There are LOTS of assumptions there! I don't know about everyone else, but I for one would like to know the answers from the organizers, rather than myriad speculation that might gum up the works!
I have deleted my post - suggest you delete the reference. Thanks.
Quote: Considering that PAE is an airport that does not have regular service, the luggage question is a legitimate one, and is also necessary to have the answer to, for planning purposes.
Since we're still 5 months away from the event, plenty of time to answer questions like these

Quote: Let's wait for them to announce details and in the meantime worry about more serious matters such as whether they'll remember to pack corkscrews!
Well, the organizers did say they learned a lot of things from last year LOL...

Cheers.
5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  21  61  111