Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2010, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by Powers106
i found one through my old employee union bank at $127 (scorecardrewards) but didn't pull the trigger yet, so not sure if that includes everything...

Still searching for the deal...October 6th cutoff was pretty tight, no? I mean, the other hotel offered it until November 2nd, the day before...
I believe that the negotiations were with each property, individually, and the management of said properties set the cutoff dates! I am absolutely positive that Tommy & the crew did everything they could for us -- in those negotiations!^
Old Oct 10, 2010, 1:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
We are now scrambling to make the payment next week. With the deadline for paying passing, participants are canceling at the same rate as new ones are signing up and we are stuck at aprox 30 seats empty

It is puzzling to only get 180-190 participants in a good economic year when last year we managed 229!

So please spread the word!!!
Old Oct 10, 2010, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Can you guys wrangle any sort of extension on the group rate for the Westin in Seattle?

I have never been to Seattle and am not sure exactly what is planned for the night of the 5th .... but are there any other "budget-friendly" hotels in the area that wouldn't be terribly inconvenient? Now the Westin is showing $225 including taxes.
I initially booked a cash and points rate, and recently changed it over to one of my free weekend nights. So that could be an option if you have either of those available to you.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The US DM miles credit request is pending, tommy is following up.
Anything further on this? I have a paltry 12K miles in my US DM account, but an even paltrier 1500 miles in my UA MP account!
Old Oct 10, 2010, 7:03 am

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I initially booked a cash and points rate, and recently changed it over to one of my free weekend nights. So that could be an option if you have either of those available to you.
Yes, that is what I am thinking. Since I will pay for the room in Houston and get all the SPG benefits that way, (the Gold status plus 1,000 per night), it would make sense to use a different points program for a free stay. Wonder if I could get the 1,000 bonus SPG points if I book the Westin for free on another program?
Old Oct 10, 2010, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Wonder if I could get the 1,000 bonus SPG points if I book the Westin for free on another program?
I believe that it was specified that one needed to book through the dedicated links provided (ie. a revenue stay), for each individual property, in order to get the 1k SPG bonus pts.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
We are now scrambling to make the payment next week. With the deadline for paying passing, participants are canceling at the same rate as new ones are signing up and we are stuck at aprox 30 seats empty

It is puzzling to only get 180-190 participants in a good economic year when last year we managed 229!

So please spread the word!!!
Well I wouldn't say it's a good economic year as the economy still sucks, but it is perplexing that given the charter is based in the USA that so few of the US (as in country not program) folk have signed up.

I did get one to sign up from the email I sent (non FTer who has now joined), and am hopeful for one more.

But as BristolTraveller suggested, perhaps people could Facebook or twitter folk to this. Or people can continue to spread the word in their respective *Alliance forums or just PM folk they know & let them know it's a fab trip & technically they're only out of the office for 1 day (the Friday)!

I've still seen some posts where people either think it's the entire week or that it's all day Thurs & all day Friday. I know oliver adjusted the first post to reflect that it's just Friday, but I think when they see the entire itinerary there's still some confusion.

Cheers.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Face it, the US is in a deep recession no matter what the official word is. This is the type of event only a few can take advantage of and even though most of it is taking place in the US, most American FTers have little or no job flexibility (if they are still working), and 1/3rd the official vacation/leave time that Europeans have. Those of us who are coming are pretty much our own bosses and not part of the regular labour force. I'm not really surprised that this is not yet a sell out for those and other reasons I won't go into. You are witnessing first hand the decline of the American empire. You'll see this clearly if you have time to actually visit Houston or Phoenix or even Seattle. They all pale by the state of repair of European cities and particularly those of the new China!
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mnmag
I believe that the negotiations were with each property, individually, and the management of said properties set the cutoff dates! I am absolutely positive that Tommy & the crew did everything they could for us -- in those negotiations!^
Folks, I had a conversation with the Westin Seattle on Thursday, they promised to get back to me about adding another 20 rooms. Stay tuned, will call them tomorrow if I don't hear back. Hopefully, it will work out ^^

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Face it, the US is in a deep recession no matter what the official word is. This is the type of event only a few can take advantage of and even though most of it is taking place in the US, most American FTers have little or no job flexibility (if they are still working), and 1/3rd the official vacation/leave time that Europeans have. Those of us who are coming are pretty much our own bosses and not part of the regular labour force. I'm not really surprised that this is not yet a sell out for those and other reasons I won't go into. You are witnessing first hand the decline of the American empire. You'll see this clearly if you have time to actually visit Houston or Phoenix or even Seattle. They all pale by the state of repair of European cities and particularly those of the new China!
Now now... That's a little bit too dramatic. As long as we are all alive, the most important economy will be the US one...

The point Oliver was making, was that last year was a lot worse than this year and we were still able to sell out.

What happened now is that even people who have paid a deposit are backing out. Hopefully, we will sell out, but payments have been slow and the charter is due on Friday.

So again, everything that can be done to get the word out, is greatly appreciated.^^
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:26 pm

I started a thread in the US forum. Seems that if US is participating, we should have more than a handful of Dividend Miles members that might be interested. We'll see if that helps...
When can we expect to hear if US will be offering miles on the charter? That might be a big incentive to those on the US forum.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:28 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cedric
I started a thread in the US forum. Seems that if US is participating, we should have more than a handful of Dividend Miles members that might be interested. We'll see if that helps...
When can we expect to hear if US will be offering miles on the charter? That might be a big incentive to those on the US forum.
Thank you.

I have a call with them this week. Will hear back then
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:53 am

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Austrian

Anyone else besides me trying OS?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
OS 88:
SensFan
ande777emt

LX 15:
Pat+
hughw
mccartneys
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by ande777emt
Anyone else besides me trying OS?
OS 88:
SensFan
ande777emt

LX 15:
Pat+
hughw
mccartneys
I probably would have tried OS88 instead of LH405 had I not assumed that the offer was not on the table any more due to lack of interest. I would've got to try two different Y longhaul products, and a new airport.

Ah well, doesn't matter any more...
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:13 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by tommy777

Now now... That's a little bit too dramatic. As long as we are all alive, the most important economy will be the US one...
Totally OT but I definitely admire the stuff you smoke

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.