http://www.clubcarlson.com/offers/4719721

Looks pretty good at least for EMEA...
Old Apr 26, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: IC PLAT AMB, clubcarlson Concierge, Le Club Accor Gold
thanx - very usefull information !!
Old Apr 26, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Category Changes from 1 May 2013

I agree that it looks pretty good! Suprisingly some decreases along with the increases.

Glad we will be in Madrid next week as that is one of the hotels showing an increase from 5 to 6. A total of 8 Cat 6 moving down to 5 and only 5 Cat 5 moving up to 6.

I'm sure the Orlando increases will start a .....fest but they seemed to be underpriced before the devaluation.

Last edited by christianj; Apr 26, 2013 at 6:13 pm
Old Apr 26, 2013, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I am loving this!! The PI Vienna is going back to a cat 3 (which now means C&P is now 5K points, not 10K). The Radissons in Cottbus, Neubrandenburg, and Dessau are now cat 1. As well as the PI Bratislava and Radisson in Budapest. And I was hoping that the Radisson in Wroclaw would drop in category before I knew a change was coming. And guess what? It happened! Cat 3 and now only 5K points needed for a C&P award!! ^^^
Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:58 pm

Yup, looks pretty good. I guess Club Carlson is trying hard to stay ahead in the competition against HHonors, SPG, and Marriott Rewards.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:25 pm

Glad it looks like nothing much. This list though made me realize just how much Carlson is dominant in the middle of nowhere in the US. Granted that's not a complete list, but I feel as if they have far fewer hotels in big cities.

Also I'm shocked by the fact that so many hotels in the middle of nowhere are 38,000/44,000 points when the top category is 50,000. Now I'm not saying 50,000 is too low. However 44,000 points for a room at the Country Suites By Carlson, Bismarck, ND when room rates seem to be about $100 a night is pretty insane. Especially when 50,000 points gets you a night in London/NY/Chicago at room rates easily over $300 a night.

That's just one example but I saw numerous ones on the list where I can't imagine rates are that high.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:46 pm

The one disappointment I noticed is that the ever-popular Orlando award redemptions are getting gutted -- the Radisson I-Drive is going from cat 1 to cat 3, and the Radisson Celebration (which was cat 1 until a few months ago, now cat 2) is going to cat 3 also. So that leaves no cat 1 options in Orlando and only one cat 2 option (the CI&S).
Old Apr 27, 2013, 4:59 am

Radisson Blu Resort, Rugen DE 2 1 9,000
That's no longer a Radisson. It was taken over by Lindner.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:11 pm

sad my favourite Hotel

The Park inn Sarvar Hungary is going up from 9k to 15k points
Old Apr 27, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Category Changes from 1 May 2013

Have looked at the list a little longer now and there are actually a couple of nice reductions In Europe that could be of interest to me (since I usually don't redeem for lower end US properties)

- Radisson Kenilworth in London
- Radisson Rome - I think the consensus was that the hotel was categorized too high anyway considering the location and some upkeep issues highlighted on TA (would probably still go with SPG in Rome)
- Radisson Biarritz
- Radisson Arc 1950
- 3 Radisson's in Switzerland
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by teahan
That's no longer a Radisson. It was taken over by Lindner.
They are not very good about keeping p with which hotels are part of their chain. For a long time they had an East Dallas location on their redemption chart.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:38 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I agree, christianj! For my travel patterns, this category change is a net positive. Extremely pleased with Arc, Budapest, and St Gallen. Very pleasant surprise that so many European properties dropped, especially in light of the extremely generous CC promos, and the massive devaluations of the competition this year (HH, PC, Marriott, SPG). CC remains excellent value for another year. ^
Old Apr 27, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Thumbs down Another Devaluation

Well Now Club Carlson is doing it. Club Carlson has 98 properties moving up in award categories. The greatest number of change is from category 2 to 3 that is a hard points wise. Category 2 property requires 15000 points per nights compared to 28000 points at category 3.

I guess it was too good to be true to think that they would Not devalue their points. Europe seems to be a positive but lots here in the USA are going up some by over 100%.

Last edited by SimpleManToo; Apr 27, 2013 at 9:53 pm Reason: add info
Old Apr 28, 2013, 2:36 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by SimpleManToo
I guess it was too good to be true to think that they would Not devalue their points.
You really thought they wouldn't after the past promos and branded credit card? I'm surprised at how little they changed, frankly.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 3:06 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by spankytoes
You really thought they wouldn't after the past promos and branded credit card? I'm surprised at how little they changed, frankly.
Give 1-2 years.

Then there will be too many points chasing too few rooms, and...

Voila--time to devalue!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.