Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Club Carlson not honoring promises made on Facebook?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AY Gold, Hyatt diamond.

As bloggers have pointed out ( http://boardingarea.com/blogs/mommy....#comment-94277
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/dealsw...otion-updates/) Radisson has said that they won't honor the yes-answer to the question on whether existing reservations would be eligible for the Big Night Giveaway that they gave on Facebook - they have now even erased the post with the yes-answer and refused further comments.

I actually made a reservation based on the information provided on Facebook. I had an upcoming stay and feared that the rates might go up when the promo was launched. so I booked May 14th.

I would definitely have waited (or booked an refundable rate) if I there had been some ambiguity on what would count as eligible stays. I took the “yes” on Carlson Clubs facebook page at face value (and had not known about the non-honoring or the promise had bloggers not written about it).

They Big Night Giveaway points may post anyway but I would like to know in advance so I know if i should book an other stay in order to get the points (which is pointless if i would get points for the stay I already have).

Advice?
Old May 18, 2012, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Did you read the Terms and conditions of the promotion? Doesn't matter what you read on BoredArea blogs. The rates won't go up or down due to a promotion like this considering the number of properties they have and how little impact a promotion like this has.

D
Old May 18, 2012, 7:24 am
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by holtju2
Did you read the Terms and conditions of the promotion? Doesn't matter what you read on BoredArea blogs. The rates won't go up or down due to a promotion like this considering the number of properties they have and how little impact a promotion like this has.

D
Just to clarify, it sounds like Bowman didn't make a reservation based on what any blogs said before the promo launched - he made it based on what Club Carlson said on Facebook before the promo launched.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: AA/United/Delta
Mommy point is right. There is a screenshot proving the social media rep said the existing reservations count towards the big night giveaway. At lease they should honor what they said.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat
This is total crap of them.

I made a res for the 15th based on what was said on facebook
it was not even some sale/special price I just wanted to get it out of the way and thought I was fine. I registered for the promo on the 15th then later checked in and completed the stay. Now after its too late I read this about it not being honored.

I fully expected to get my 50K points, if not I wasted good money for nothing.
So I will be fighting this for sure.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Loyalty Traveler was also given specific terms from the Club Carlson PR rep that stated that stays made prior to May 15th WOULD count.

I personally have a hunch that even though the T&C state "not eligible on prior reservations" and the social media rep is saying the same, points will still post. That is just me feeling, but we will soon see once points start posting.

The social media rep just keeps on giving us generic responses.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:35 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Regardless of what the terms say, my hunch is that previously booked stays will post as qualifying. I would give it a few days until reports are in.
Old May 18, 2012, 2:20 pm

Strike 1 - They pulled the bonus points to register via e-rewards early

Strike 2 - They told blogs and Facebook that existing bookings would count, then retracted it when it was too late, trying to hide their mistake

Strike 3 - ???

This promotion is about one thing. LOYALTY. "Stay with us!", "Learn how good we are". That can be hard to expect with strikes hanging over your name.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I can't believe all the whining going on just because a few bloggers jumped the gun before the official promo launched and the official T&C were released. Looks like a few bloggers now have egg on their faces and are scrambling to cover their bases!

This is by far the most generous hotel promo out there, what other hotel chain has been offering such a landslide of points for only ONE booking? Anyone with any sense knows not to jump the gun and make assumptions based on speculations in forums and blogs BEFORE the official promo is launched. Yes, I was tempted to take advantage of a cheaper rate at my local Radisson but my ablility to participate was contingent upon "Worldwide" remaining as part of the T&C and I had no idea if this would change or not. It looks like the Carlson board members were fine-tuning the T&C up until the last moment as the T&C that was leaked by viewing the source code on the promo page is different from the one that was finally published.

T&C first leaked:
The Big Night Giveaway Promotion ("Promotion") is available only to Club Carlson members. To be eligible for the Promotion, members must register online for the Promotion at http://www.radissonbignightgiveaway.com ("Promotion Registration"), provide their Club Carlson member number at the time of reservation or check-in of the Qualifying Stay, and then complete one Qualifying Stay at any Radisson or Radisson Blu hotel worldwide ("Participating Hotels"). Guest must check in for the Qualifying Stay on or after May 15, 2012 and check out must be completed no later than July 15, 2012 ("Promotion Period"). A "Qualifying Stay" is defined as a stay of one or more consecutive nights in the same room at a Participating Hotel regardless of the number of check-ins or check-outs on a rate for which Gold Points are awarded in accordance with the Club Carlson Program Terms and Conditions.

Guest must be present at the Participating Hotel at both the time of check-in and check-out, enrolled in Club Carlson at or before the time of check-in, and registered in the Promotion no later than the time of check-out (to enroll in Club Carlson, visit www.clubcarlson.com). The first 100,000 guests who complete the Promotion Registration will receive 50,000 Bonus Gold Points after the completion of their Qualifying Stay. After the first 100,000 Promotion Registrations, every guest who completes the Promotion Registration will receive 15,000 Bonus Gold Points after the completion of his/her Qualifying Stay. These Bonus Gold Points are in addition to the standard Gold Points awarded for a stay. Only one Club Carlson account per Qualifying Stay will be credited with the Bonus Gold Points.

Maximum of one Bonus Gold Point award will be credited to a member with a Qualifying Stay under the Promotion regardless of the number of Qualifying Stays completed by the member during the Promotion Period. Allow 6-8 weeks for the Bonus Gold Points to post to the member's account. The Promotion and Gold Points are subject to all Club Carlson Program Terms and Conditions. Rates for each night of a Qualifying Stay may vary. Promotion is not valid on existing reservations and is subject to availability...
Final T&C posted on official sign up page:
The Big Night Giveaway Promotion ("Promotion") is available only to Club CarlsonSM members. Promotion is not valid on existing reservations and is subject to availability. To be eligible for the Promotion, members must register online for the Promotion at http://www.radissonbignightgiveaway.com ("Promotion Registration"), provide their Club Carlson member number at the time of reservation or check-in of the Qualifying Stay, and then complete one Qualifying Stay at any Radisson® or Radisson Blu hotel worldwide ("Participating Hotels"). Guest must check in for the Qualifying Stay on or after May 15, 2012 and check out must be completed no later than July 15, 2012 ("Promotion Period"). A "Qualifying Stay" is defined as a stay of one or more consecutive nights in the same room at a Participating Hotel regardless of the number of check-ins or check-outs on a rate for which Gold Points® are awarded in accordance with the Club Carlson Program Terms and Conditions. Guest must be present at the Participating Hotel at both the time of check-in and check-out, enrolled in Club Carlson at or before the time of check-in, and registered in the Promotion no later than the time of check-out (to enroll in Club Carlson, visit www.clubcarlson.com). The first 100,000 guests who complete the Promotion Registration will receive 50,000 Bonus Gold Points® after the completion of their Qualifying Stay. After the first 100,000 Promotion Registrations, every guest who completes the Promotion Registration will receive 15,000 Bonus Gold Points® after the completion of his/her Qualifying Stay. These Bonus Gold Points® are in addition to the standard Gold Points® awarded for a stay. Only one Club Carlson account per Qualifying Stay will be credited with the Bonus Gold Points®. Maximum of one Bonus Gold Point award will be credited to a member with a Qualifying Stay under the Promotion regardless of the number of Qualifying Stays completed by the member during the Promotion Period. Allow 6-8 weeks for the Bonus Gold Points® to post to the member’s account. The Promotion and Gold Points® are subject to all Club Carlson Program Terms and Conditions. Rates for each night of a Qualifying Stay may vary. Promotion void where prohibited by law. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Radisson reserves the right to add, modify or discontinue these terms and conditions or the Promotion at any time with or without notice. Radisson is not responsible for: interrupted or unavailable network, server or other connections, miscommunications, computer hardware or software or technical failures, Internet Service Provider/network/website accessibility or availability, garbled or jumbled transmissions or other errors of any kind, whether human, mechanical or electronic; including without limitation the incomplete, incorrect or inaccurate capture of Promotion Registration information and any late, lost inaccurate or misdirected Promotion Registration information. By participating in this Promotion, you agree and consent to these terms and conditions.
Notice how they added a few lines? It's pretty clear that the people who were hounding them on FB and in blogs for the details before they were ready to launch the promo alerted them to some issues they may not have otherwise been aware of. Apparently, the intention of the promo is to reward NEW bookings, not ones that have already been made.

I strongly suggest that if people want Club Carlson to keep doing these lucrative promotions (this is the 2nd time for this one) they stop hounding them for amending the T&C BEFORE the promo was launched. I also strongly suggest that people stop speculating about T&C before promos launch because nothing is concrete until they do. They also reserve the right to further amend the T&C so please don't get this promo shut down early with your whining.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:37 pm

The issue of whether or not points will be "accidentally" given for pre-existing reservations will depend on how the script is written that is run to award the points. They can capture several fields such as Date of Reservation, Date of Promo Registration, Rate Paid, decide if the field has to be "true" or not in order for the points to be awarded so it all comes down to the competency of the IT people.
Old May 18, 2012, 5:10 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by Tiki
I can't believe all the whining going on just because a few bloggers jumped the gun before the official promo launched and the official T&C were released. Looks like a few bloggers now have egg on their faces and are scrambling to cover their bases!

This is by far the most generous hotel promo out there, what other hotel chain has been offering such a landslide of points for only ONE booking? Anyone with any sense knows not to jump the gun and make assumptions based on speculations in forums and blogs BEFORE the official promo is launched.
Tiki, it wasn't bloggers who jumped the gun and came up with that information. It was on Club Carlson's official Facebook page. Did many bloggers then link to that information - sure, some did, but if you can't trust a company's official social media presence than I think that is a bigger issue.

I love this promo and agree with you 100% that it is by far the most generous hotel promo out there right now, but there are many travelers, Facebook users, etc. who don't have years of experience with these sorts of promos or didn't participate in this promo last year, and have every reason to trust what is on a company's FB wall.

In my opinion, just because you have a great promo, doesn't mean that you can let other customer service issues slide.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:20 pm

The pre-existing booking clause wasn't a part of the T&C until the promo was formally launched. I don't see it as a failure of customer service when the CC FB page did keep repeating over and over again "Wait until the 15th" when the promo is announced. A few people kept hounding them over and over again for details before they were ready. I can see where an inexperienced employee who may have had access to the FB page and was also able to view the T&C work-in-progress that we saw by viewing the page source code and mistakenly thought that that was the final draft of the T&C. If this is what happened and later on, a more experienced employee noticed the gaffe and deleted it, Carlson is still well within their rights to hold to the final T&C that we ALL agreed to when we registered for the promo.

Anyway, my concern is that the bloggers who are now hounding CC with their screenshots of a FB page are probably going to get the promo shut down early. People took a risk by booking ahead of the formal launch of the promo without seeing the final draft of the T&C and in some cases, the risk didn't pay off. They may have learned an expensive lesson, but hopefully no one will make bookings in advance of an official promo launch again.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
The pre-existing booking clause wasn't a part of the T&C until the promo was formally launched.
In the post above where you post the "first leaked" T&C, it also has the pre-existing booking clause - just not in the same place.

T&C first leaked:

The Big Night Giveaway Promotion ("Promotion") is available only to Club Carlson members. To be eligible for the Promotion, members must register online for the Promotion at http://www.radissonbignightgiveaway.com ("Promotion Registration"), provide their Club Carlson member number at the time of reservation or check-in of the Qualifying Stay, and then complete one Qualifying Stay at any Radisson or Radisson Blu hotel worldwide ("Participating Hotels"). Guest must check in for the Qualifying Stay on or after May 15, 2012 and check out must be completed no later than July 15, 2012 ("Promotion Period"). A "Qualifying Stay" is defined as a stay of one or more consecutive nights in the same room at a Participating Hotel regardless of the number of check-ins or check-outs on a rate for which Gold Points are awarded in accordance with the Club Carlson Program Terms and Conditions.

Guest must be present at the Participating Hotel at both the time of check-in and check-out, enrolled in Club Carlson at or before the time of check-in, and registered in the Promotion no later than the time of check-out (to enroll in Club Carlson, visit www.clubcarlson.com). The first 100,000 guests who complete the Promotion Registration will receive 50,000 Bonus Gold Points after the completion of their Qualifying Stay. After the first 100,000 Promotion Registrations, every guest who completes the Promotion Registration will receive 15,000 Bonus Gold Points after the completion of his/her Qualifying Stay. These Bonus Gold Points are in addition to the standard Gold Points awarded for a stay. Only one Club Carlson account per Qualifying Stay will be credited with the Bonus Gold Points.

Maximum of one Bonus Gold Point award will be credited to a member with a Qualifying Stay under the Promotion regardless of the number of Qualifying Stays completed by the member during the Promotion Period. Allow 6-8 weeks for the Bonus Gold Points to post to the member's account. The Promotion and Gold Points are subject to all Club Carlson Program Terms and Conditions. Rates for each night of a Qualifying Stay may vary. Promotion is not valid on existing reservations and is subject to availability...
Old May 18, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: Many
The pre-existing booking clause wasn't a part of the T&C until the promo was formally launched. I don't see it as a failure of customer service when the CC FB page did keep repeating over and over again "Wait until the 15th" when the promo is announced. A few people kept hounding them over and over again for details before they were ready. I can see where an inexperienced employee who may have had access to the FB page and was also able to view the T&C work-in-progress that we saw by viewing the page source code and mistakenly thought that that was the final draft of the T&C. If this is what happened and later on, a more experienced employee noticed the gaffe and deleted it, Carlson is still well within their rights to hold to the final T&C that we ALL agreed to when we registered for the promo.

Anyway, my concern is that the bloggers who are now hounding CC with their screenshots of a FB page are probably going to get the promo shut down early. People took a risk by booking ahead of the formal launch of the promo without seeing the final draft of the T&C and in some cases, the risk didn't pay off. They may have learned an expensive lesson, but hopefully no one will make bookings in advance of an official promo launch again.
I don't get it. Is their Facebook site something we're supposed to visit and rely on to be a valid, official company social media presence or isn't it? Wouldn't someone who wasn't authorized to speak for the promotion say something like, "I can't say" or "I don't know", instead of "yes"? I think they should honor all bookings made after that Facebook posting, but could justify pointing to their T&C regarding bookings made prior to the posting of the Facebook false information.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:44 am

At the end of the day what they SHOULD have done is made the T&Cs available from the moment they announced the promotion and started the silly countdown clock. They didn't, which caused confusion, and resulted in questions on Facebook (answered incorrectly, later removed). On top of that they had some T&Cs embedded in the source of webpages but not visible which only added to confusion about whether they were real or not, and had representatives who spoke to bloggers, giving them incorrect information.

So, end of story, they should have handled this promotion a lot better.

Is it a good promotion? Sure, it's similar to buy 1 get 1 free, or 50% off, but it's not like other chains haven't done the same thing before. And 2for1 is a usual perk for gold members any time of the year (restricted dates when they can use them however). People are over excited about this promotion if you ask me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.