Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
CitiGold is Citi's premium banking relationship. To remain a Citigold client, maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts. There is no monthly service fee for accounts in The Citigold Account Package.

Be aware that Citi Wealth Management will not allow any trading of non traditional stocks and ETFs. No leveraged ETFs, no inverse ETFs. Its brokerage service is similar to Chase YouInvest. It is just basic investment service.

1. Click HERE to read a separate thread discussing expiration of ThankYou Points when closing a Citigold account.

2. Citi has introduced Citi Priority with a minimum combined balance of $50K as of November 6, 2016. Those who were no longer qualified under the new Citigold requirement has been downgraded to Citi Priority. Discussion HERE.
Print Wikipost

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
I just had a chat with someone at Citi about the rumored 200k Citigold balance requirement and she said that it's not final--it's all still under review right now and to not take it as literal.

Take it for what it's worth, just reporting what she said here.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: CHASE UNITED CLUB; CITI PRESTIGE; IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR; RITZ-CARLTON GOLD; Global Entry
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
If anyone is really keeping 200k with Citi I urge you to have a look at Chase Private Client where there are no fees for anything. Needs 250k which can be invested fee free into Vanguard etc funds if you like.

The service is much better than Citigold (not sure how it compares to Citigold Select which needs 500k+)

I am not aware of this "Citigold Select" in USA, where did you get this term? Thanks.
Old May 21, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Premier
Received Citigold TY bonus (finally)...what now?

Hello all,

I'm hoping to receive some guidance on my Citi TY point balances.

Have you ever gotten something that you really wanted and then once you got it you realized you have no idea what to do with it?

Last November 2015 I went after the 50,000 TY point bonus for opening a Citigold account. After meeting the requirements for the bonus by January 2016 (2x bill pays), I waited for the points to post. Finally - earlier this month (May 2016), the bonus posted. I felt like I won the lottery, because I really didn't think they were ever going to post.

I have been paying the 30/monthly service charge for the account, but only three times (March, April, May) since the fee was waived for the first two months - although it feels like I probably should've been charged starting in February. I'm not asking any questions though about that. I do not want to pay again for CitiGold, and the next fee will be charge June 1.

I've read so, so many comments on how to use TY points ahead of a planned account shutdown/downgrade, but I'm clueless on how to execute a plan from here. I'm hoping someone can draw from their own experience and can either confirm the below questions and add some insight:

Other info:
I have a Citi TY Premier and TY Preferred card. The Premier card has about 70,000 TY points, if that matters. I have no planned trips at the moment that I could reasonably book travel for using TY points. I have never redeemed TY points.

1. If I first transfer the Citigold points to my Citi Premier card account, and then close my Citigold account once the transfer is complete, will the points that are transferred expire, and when? It's my understanding they will expire, however it leaves me to question - how do make sure when redeeming them before they expire, that those being redeemed are the ones from the Citigold account, and not the TY Premier points?

2. If I choose not to transfer, and instead redeem a gift card (looking at Hyatt) using the Citigold TY points, then close the Citigold account, will I be hit with a 1099?

3. I would consider transferring to an airline partner but I don't travel enough anymore so I'd rather not have them tied up in a FF account with no real expectation to use them.

4. I read somewhere that you can redeem thank you points in the form of a check at .01/point for mortgage or student loans. Is that true?

5. If I could foresee the future, I would definitely transfer the points to Citi TY Premier, redeem them (along with the existing 70k points in that account) for travel through Citi Travel Center with the 25% bonus provided by the Premier account. Unfortunately I have no idea when or where I'll be traveling to next.

I'm usually very good at finding the best solution and executing, but I feel every option I take is rolling the dice, partly due in fact that Citi enforces some terms and conditions so loosely.

Thank you, I appreciate any input you may have.
Old May 21, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
In short, since you are paying the service fee, you have to spend that 50K earned quick.

Originally Posted by freshpoints
1. If I first transfer the Citigold points to my Citi Premier card account, and then close my Citigold account once the transfer is complete, will the points that are transferred expire, and when? It's my understanding they will expire, however it leaves me to question - how do make sure when redeeming them before they expire, that those being redeemed are the ones from the Citigold account, and not the TY Premier points?
All TY points are centrally held, providing that you add your sponsor account.

Even all TY from your sponsor accounts will be combined, the expiration policy applies to the TY points earned separately.

2. If I choose not to transfer, and instead redeem a gift card (looking at Hyatt) using the Citigold TY points, then close the Citigold account, will I be hit with a 1099?
Possible if you redeem the banking TY all at once.

3. I would consider transferring to an airline partner but I don't travel enough anymore so I'd rather not have them tied up in a FF account with no real expectation to use them.
Banking TY are not transferable.

4. I read somewhere that you can redeem thank you points in the form of a check at .01/point for mortgage or student loans. Is that true?
Yes.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Last November 2015 I went after the 50,000 TY point bonus for opening a Citigold account. After meeting the requirements for the bonus by January 2016 (2x bill pays), I waited for the points to post. Finally - earlier this month (May 2016), the bonus posted. I felt like I won the lottery, because I really didn't think they were ever going to post.
Were you targeted for this promotion or did you succeed in getting the points without having been targeted?
Old May 22, 2016, 7:48 am

Hello all,

I'm hoping to receive some guidance on my Citi TY point balances.

Have you ever gotten something that you really wanted and then once you got it you realized you have no idea what to do with it?

I have been paying the 30/monthly service charge for the account, but only three times (March, April, May) since the fee was waived for the first two months - although it feels like I probably should've been charged starting in February. I'm not asking any questions though about that. I do not want to pay again for CitiGold, and the next fee will be charge June 1.

I've read so, so many comments on how to use TY points ahead of a planned account shutdown/downgrade, but I'm clueless on how to execute a plan from here. I'm hoping someone can draw from their own experience and can either confirm the below questions and add some insight:

Other info:
I have a Citi TY Premier and TY Preferred card. The Premier card has about 70,000 TY points, if that matters. I have no planned trips at the moment that I could reasonably book travel for using TY points. I have never redeemed TY points.

5. If I could foresee the future, I would definitely transfer the points to Citi TY Premier, redeem them (along with the existing 70k points in that account) for travel through Citi Travel Center with the 25% bonus provided by the Premier account. Unfortunately I have no idea when or where I'll be traveling to next.

I'm usually very good at finding the best solution and executing, but I feel every option I take is rolling the dice, partly due in fact that Citi enforces some terms and conditions so loosely.

Thank you, I appreciate any input you may have.
We ended up in a similar situation. I found out, after the fact, that checking TYPs
are not transferable. We didn't need any airline tickets and I didn't want to add cash to a cruise since we have a big trip planned. I wanted to be done with Citi and close the account. I ended up just getting $500 restaurant GCs. Not the best redemption but...We don't eat out much so at least it will be a treat.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:54 pm

Hi folks. How soon after meeting Citigold signup bonus criteria did your TYP bonus post?

I was told it comes 90d after month end when you met your terms. I'm past this and haven't seen the points yet.

Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Were you targeted for the promo? If not, Citi is denying the points.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:32 pm

+1 on this comment below. I'm exploring the same options also. Been with Citibank since 2006. Not sure why they are converting people down who already have the account. The value of a Citibank account is not there for me. Already have an account with Schwab. With this recent move by Citibank may be time to move everything over to Schwab. Hopefully they reconsider if enough people complain.

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Whoa, that's quite the unannounced change. Used to be $100,000 and then a few years back they dropped CitiGold to $50,000. Now they are upping it to $200,000? Not really many benefits to speak of and keeping that amount on deposit with such low rates makes it a non-starter. I guess if true, I'll have to leave Citi. Been with them for 10+ years, shame that. Oh and I guess I'll lose my AA card which has no annual fee due to grandfathered Citigold benefit. Bummer.

May get a jump and open a Charles Schwab account now. They have no ATM fees abroad.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Fujitsujeff
+1 on this comment below. I'm exploring the same options also. Been with Citibank since 2006. Not sure why they are converting people down who already have the account. The value of a Citibank account is not there for me. Already have an account with Schwab. With this recent move by Citibank may be time to move everything over to Schwab. Hopefully they reconsider if enough people complain.
I was told by the end of June full terms would be delivered by CitiGold to any upcoming changes. So I'm sitting tight waiting to hear specifically what is changing before closing/switching. We shall see.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:31 pm

Anyone have experience using their debt card abroad for cash withdrawals? Does Citi refund ATM charges on both ends?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by phant0m
Anyone have experience using their debt card abroad for cash withdrawals? Does Citi refund ATM charges on both ends?
I've used my CitiGold abroad. Usually the fee is in the conversion and then it isn't reimbursed. Mostly just reimbursed domestically - although sometimes when it shows separately it'll be reimbursed.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:43 pm
Suspended

They're saying June now for the changes? I thought it was sometime this fall.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973
They're saying June now for the changes? I thought it was sometime this fall.

June for the news rollout to customers maybe? Then Fall for the switchover.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I've used my CitiGold abroad. Usually the fee is in the conversion and then it isn't reimbursed. Mostly just reimbursed domestically - although sometimes when it shows separately it'll be reimbursed.

I've used it in the EU and wasn't charged any fees by the other banks.

Even Fidelity doesn't charge fees abroad. They never get charged by the other banks so there isn't anything to credit back. Maybe for non-US ATM networks this codes as a Visa cash advance or something similar? (or MasterCard one, in the case with Citi)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.