Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
CitiGold is Citi's premium banking relationship. To remain a Citigold client, maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts. There is no monthly service fee for accounts in The Citigold Account Package.

Be aware that Citi Wealth Management will not allow any trading of non traditional stocks and ETFs. No leveraged ETFs, no inverse ETFs. Its brokerage service is similar to Chase YouInvest. It is just basic investment service.

1. Click HERE to read a separate thread discussing expiration of ThankYou Points when closing a Citigold account.

2. Citi has introduced Citi Priority with a minimum combined balance of $50K as of November 6, 2016. Those who were no longer qualified under the new Citigold requirement has been downgraded to Citi Priority. Discussion HERE.
Print Wikipost

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Does having Citigold status increase your odds of getting a Citibank CC?

I know about the fee waiver; just wondering if the Citi CC people give you any extra consideration when they see you are Citigold. If so, is there a separate number to call?

Tried to search and couldn't find anything exactly on point. Thanks.

Also, does Citigold status allow you to waive all your AA CC annual fees? 2 days ago a Citi bank rep told me it does, but that differs from what I have been told previously (limit 1, my choice).

Last edited by toomanybooks; Aug 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:22 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this query is more about Citi credit cards and not about AA or AAdvantage, we'll shift this over for the experts in the credit card forums to address. Thanks! /AA forum co-moderator
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Also, does Citigold status allow you to waive all your AA CC annual fees?
No.

You need to talk to a Citibank account rep. There are two Citibank Aadvantage cards. One has annual fees waived with a Citigold account, the other does not. They change things constantly, so you need to verify with a Citibank account rep. Don't just talk to a teller. Talk to someone at the branch manager level.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
IAlso, does Citigold status allow you to waive all your AA CC annual fees? 2 days ago a Citi bank rep told me it does, but that differs from what I have been told previously (limit 1, my choice).
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
No.

You need to talk to a Citibank account rep. There are two Citibank Aadvantage cards. One has annual fees waived with a Citigold account, the other does not. They change things constantly, so you need to verify with a Citibank account rep. Don't just talk to a teller. Talk to someone at the branch manager level.
I have Ciitgold and currently have two AA cards - the Signature Visa and Platinum Select World MasterCard. I recently asked a Citigold phone rep about the annual fees, and she indicated that the Visa is not one of the cards that can have a fee waiver through CG.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:28 pm

If you have a big enough relationship citi (debt or cash) you can get anything waived. Now a days it is just a lot harder because almost everything is a done via a computer and you are just talking to an interface between you and the computer that happens to be a human.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I have Ciitgold and currently have two AA cards - the Signature Visa and Platinum Select World MasterCard. I recently asked a Citigold phone rep about the annual fees, and she indicated that the Visa is not one of the cards that can have a fee waiver through CG.
That confirms what I heard.

But wait, there's more!

The minimum deposits for Citigold varies according to what kind of deposits you have and, thus, if the credit card fee is waived. Investment accounts are counted differently than are deposit accounts.

I always feel like I have to be one jump ahead of them, as what was true yesterday may not be true tomorrow. The advice I offered still stands. Go to a Citibank branch and speak to the branch manager. Find out specifically what your combination of investments and deposits count, and which cards with which privledges have waived fees. Discuss this in light of your own FICO and credit history with Citibank.

I have been through the Citigold process, but do not feel qualified to advise others on much more than "talk to a knowledgable Citibank executive".
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:27 am

They used to waive both personal and business AA cards but then 5 months ago they refused to waive business card fee. Now I am hit with Diners Club fee which used to be waived but not anymore. They said it is owned by Bank of Montreal so no more waiver on Diners Club.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
That confirms what I heard.

But wait, there's more!

The minimum deposits for Citigold varies according to what kind of deposits you have and, thus, if the credit card fee is waived. Investment accounts are counted differently than are deposit accounts.

I always feel like I have to be one jump ahead of them, as what was true yesterday may not be true tomorrow. The advice I offered still stands. Go to a Citibank branch and speak to the branch manager. Find out specifically what your combination of investments and deposits count, and which cards with which privledges have waived fees. Discuss this in light of your own FICO and credit history with Citibank.

I have been through the Citigold process, but do not feel qualified to advise others on much more than "talk to a knowledgable Citibank executive".
I couldn't agree more about needing to be one step ahead of them, but this is extremely challenging given the frequent changes in the posted/available Citigold information, the ambiguity of some of it, and the difficutly of finding a knowledgeable Citi employee to provide correct information. I had a recent experience with trying to validate my understanding of minimum combined balances/tiers with different account types where both a supervisor answering Citigold secure messages and the Citigold relationship manager at my local branch provided incorrect information until I explained (twice) my understanding based on information from the T&Cs provided to me when I opened my CG account last year and requested that they provide me updated T&Cs if something had changed.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I know about the fee waiver; just wondering if the Citi CC people give you any extra consideration when they see you are Citigold. If so, is there a separate number to call?

Tried to search and couldn't find anything exactly on point. Thanks.

Also, does Citigold status allow you to waive all your AA CC annual fees? 2 days ago a Citi bank rep told me it does, but that differs from what I have been told previously (limit 1, my choice).
On some of the big ones (75k-100k) I applied and was turned down. When I recently applied for 2 other Citi CCs and 1st logged into my Citi acct (Gold) the app was filled out for me and both times I was approved as the clock ticked. Samething happened with another member of the family

was told the fee on my Biz AA CC wont be waviered its only on the personal, (which I just CXed) so I will wait a few months just got the 40k and CX the Biz 1 as well
Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:55 pm

Unhappy Citigold benefits ending for many

Posts here are a little bit outdated, but I wanted to let users know. CitiGold benefits are going away for most people at the end of 2011. They told me today when inside a branch. No more anything free unless you maintain $50,000 instead of the current $10,000. No more free checks or money orders. Will have to inquire about what happens to current members who don't have the minimum $50K.

Old Sep 30, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
I have thought it WAS $50,000 down from $100,000 of years past. So I have nothing to worry about apparently. But I'll ask. We will be losing the Diner's Club Credit Card as it will no loner be citibank.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
The safe deposit box gets a 50% discount. You get more thank you points on your account - so if you have 7 products you get 1200 a month. I have more than one checking account so I get 1200 on each. The premier pass card is waived. If you apply to each card allowed, but individually tell them you are Citigold when they start to charge a fee it should be reversed. Maybe I'm grandfathered in but I have more than one card with the fee waived. We will not be losing the Diner's Club card which had the fee waived but it will no longer be issued by Citibank. I used it only for car rentals. Anyone know of any other card that has primary insurance on car rentals. Free incoming wire transfers. Free travelers checks. No foreign exchange fee using your debit card in a foreign country. Free checks. I've been happy with Citibank and the Thank You point program.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 5:46 pm
In memoriam

I had the Citigold acct for a while. It offered me nothing special beyond getting fees waived for ATM use overseas. And, then, Citi dropped that.

Went with a Schwab acct and got rid of Citigold. Happy.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:41 am

Programs: AA GLD; UA 2P; HHonors GLD; SPG
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
It offered me nothing special beyond getting fees waived for ATM use overseas. And, then, Citi dropped that.
When did this happen?
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:15 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by FlyingToFly
When did this happen?
Strange - I recall seeing a mention in the CitiGold website about waived Forex fees for using a foreign ATM, but I don't see this benefit mentioned anymore.
Hope it's still available, as I use this benefit quite a lot! I sent Citi a secure message, we'll see what they say.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.