Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
CitiGold is Citi's premium banking relationship. To remain a Citigold client, maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts. There is no monthly service fee for accounts in The Citigold Account Package.

Be aware that Citi Wealth Management will not allow any trading of non traditional stocks and ETFs. No leveraged ETFs, no inverse ETFs. Its brokerage service is similar to Chase YouInvest. It is just basic investment service.

1. Click HERE to read a separate thread discussing expiration of ThankYou Points when closing a Citigold account.

2. Citi has introduced Citi Priority with a minimum combined balance of $50K as of November 6, 2016. Those who were no longer qualified under the new Citigold requirement has been downgraded to Citi Priority. Discussion HERE.
Print Wikipost

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:10 pm
Suspended

No, if you succeeded in setting up a Citigold account, it should be viewable immediately online.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
My citigold AA miles will supposedly post end of month

odd thing is my AA PLAT 50k miles should have posted Jan 11 as the statement says they are headed that way, but they were never credited because they needed to reverify my AA account when it upgraded to world elite or whatever it is

and now I need to wait until the end of the month for 100k AA miles
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
I've tried searching on various 1099 work arounds but really haven't seen any discussion about how sensitive that $600 cutoff is at Citi. For instance I had originally planned to use 10k or so of TYPs from my 40k opening bonus on a student loan payment, and then merge my account to use the remaining for the flight bonus. But then I wasn't sure if $580 or so in total value was too close to Citi's cutoff that it would generate a 1099 anyway.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:02 am

I tried applying for the AA offer with a code I found online but then I got paranoid and called citi only to be told I can't be guaranteed the 50k because I wasn't specifically targeted!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
I tried applying for the AA offer with a code I found online but then I got paranoid and called citi only to be told I can't be guaranteed the 50k because I wasn't specifically targeted!
It's true that the terms and conditions state that you must be targeted. It's also true that many people on this forum have received the bonus without being targeted, while still meeting some of the basic requirements of the deal.

I also feel like if too many people call in and "check" with CSRs, it'll kill the deal (and deals like this one) for everyone.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:08 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Just found out a benefit-
If you request a PIN reset; it will lock you out of your online account... which can only be accessed if you have your PIN.. and then they will send your PIN out via FedEX, signature required.. so if you're not home during the day (say you're at work) then you've got zero access to your online account....

Oh and they neglect to tell you this when you ask for your PIN reset....

In other questions, anyone have any experience with international ATMs. All fees (including foreign currency) are suppossed to be waived, right???

FDW
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:46 am

Anybody ever have a problem with adding the Citigold debit card to Serve? Every time I try, it says "unexpected error occurred."

Everything matches between the accounts as far as personal information goes.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
In other questions, anyone have any experience with international ATMs. All fees (including foreign currency) are suppossed to be waived, right???
Citi doesn't rebate ATM owner fees, but with Citigold they don't charge any fees or inflated exchange rates themselves. When I've done shootouts (withdrawing the same amount from the same ATM using different cards in quick succession) I've found that Citi on average (but not 100% of the time) gets me a very slightly better exchange rate than Schwab (I believe Citi does the exchange themselves, whereas Schwab relies on Visa to do the conversion and usually gets the exact same rate as other Visa-based ATM cards I've tried). So my Citi ATM card is my go-to card for cash overseas, unless the ATM charges an owner fee, in which case I'll reach for Schwab first for their ATM fee rebate benefit.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:20 pm

This has been my experience also. CitiGold ATM card may save you some money (they don't charge at their end) but most international ATM's charge around $3-4 per transaction, which is not refunded by Citi bank. Only Schwab or BBVA compass preferred plus accounts refund all fees completely and best to have for international ATM withdrawals.

P
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:52 am

Wifes AA acct just got the 50k AA bonus from CG. We were not targeted. Met the min. requirements back in November I believe. Just in time for the deval. She was charged $30 service fee on 2/1.

I applied about 2 or 3 weeks after her and met the requirements December and I have not received the points yet. Will keep updated when points post.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:43 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by themicah
Citi doesn't rebate ATM owner fees, but with Citigold they don't charge any fees or inflated exchange rates themselves. When I've done shootouts (withdrawing the same amount from the same ATM using different cards in quick succession) I've found that Citi on average (but not 100% of the time) gets me a very slightly better exchange rate than Schwab (I believe Citi does the exchange themselves, whereas Schwab relies on Visa to do the conversion and usually gets the exact same rate as other Visa-based ATM cards I've tried). So my Citi ATM card is my go-to card for cash overseas, unless the ATM charges an owner fee, in which case I'll reach for Schwab first for their ATM fee rebate benefit.
The reason is not the issuer, but the network (MC vs V). There's a 40+ page thread on it on the main CC forum (I've provided many data points).
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by silver02accord
Wifes AA acct just got the 50k AA bonus from CG. We were not targeted. Met the min. requirements back in November I believe. Just in time for the deval. She was charged $30 service fee on 2/1.

I applied about 2 or 3 weeks after her and met the requirements December and I have not received the points yet. Will keep updated when points post.
Thanks for the update! I applied Sept 30th - sadly under the 40k bonus - and met the monthly requirements in Nov, Dec, and Jan so far (only two needed after a grace period). No points have posted yet.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by silver02accord

Did her points post with her CG statement posting, or just randomly during the month? I'm in the same situation as you and was told mine will post when my statement closes on 2/28 or 29
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
One thing I have found with Citigold Debit card overseas is that if Dynamic Currency Conversion is offered it will always go to the higher USD amount, unlike credit cards where your selection of local currency normally works. For that reason I do not use the Citigold debit card at places I know have Dynamic Currency Conversion.

Oh, and I met the requirements in early January. Have confirmed on the phone and had a message placed to get the points, but still waiting for them to post.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by sempervivum
Did her points post with her CG statement posting, or just randomly during the month? I'm in the same situation as you and was told mine will post when my statement closes on 2/28 or 29
Statement cut on Jan 31st, points posted approximately 2 weeks later. So appears to be random or after statement close in our case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.