Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
CitiGold is Citi's premium banking relationship. To remain a Citigold client, maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts. There is no monthly service fee for accounts in The Citigold Account Package.

Be aware that Citi Wealth Management will not allow any trading of non traditional stocks and ETFs. No leveraged ETFs, no inverse ETFs. Its brokerage service is similar to Chase YouInvest. It is just basic investment service.

1. Click HERE to read a separate thread discussing expiration of ThankYou Points when closing a Citigold account.

2. Citi has introduced Citi Priority with a minimum combined balance of $50K as of November 6, 2016. Those who were no longer qualified under the new Citigold requirement has been downgraded to Citi Priority. Discussion HERE.
Print Wikipost

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Question about AA 50K offer - one of the requirements is to have an AA credit card. Well, I funded the account with the card and got the points in my AA account (including the CC bonus), so I'm ready to close the card (it's an Exec, so 450 fee). However, will cancelling the credit card somehow risk Citi taking off the promotion as I wait for the Citigold points to post (waiting on another month for billpay)? Or is the fact that I had the AA credit card at time of opening okay?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Have any non-US Citizens/Permanent Residents been able to take advantage of this offer? Asking for a family member who is Canadian but lives and works in the US.

Unfortunately, Citibank's website seems to indicate you must be a US Citizen to open a checking account online. They said one must open the account over the phone (1-800-321-2484) or at the branch.

Several folks have talked about not being able to fund with CC when opening at branch, so I'm wary of that..
Old Nov 21, 2015, 6:41 pm

So I just linked up my Citigold account with my CC account, and so my account now has the Citigold view (gold bar, older interface, etc)

Is the SM system 'worse' if your account is 'Citigold'? Like, I would always get a confirmation for my CCs when I send an SM and get a response within ~4-6 hours, or at least a forwarding notification.

But after my account appears to be a 'Citigold' maintained online account, I sent two messages on 11/19 and nothing yet. No notification that it was received...no notification of the message being forwarded...nothing. The SM response has actually been worse once my account changed over to Citigold...is this typical? I did say that the SMs were for my credit cards.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by pritomd
So I just linked up my Citigold account with my CC account, and so my account now has the Citigold view (gold bar, older interface, etc)

Is the SM system 'worse' if your account is 'Citigold'? Like, I would always get a confirmation for my CCs when I send an SM and get a response within ~4-6 hours, or at least a forwarding notification.

But after my account appears to be a 'Citigold' maintained online account, I sent two messages on 11/19 and nothing yet. No notification that it was received...no notification of the message being forwarded...nothing. The SM response has actually been worse once my account changed over to Citigold...is this typical? I did say that the SMs were for my credit cards.
The system is different. You actually have two online accounts: One for your CG and one for your Credit Card. (Or at least that's what I have, two different logins as well). If I send a message from my CG account, it takes longer since I think it's meant for checking purposes. If I send a message from my CC account, then it's the 4-6 hour response time.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:25 pm

Right. I had two separate accounts since I accidentally created a new account when signing up for Citigold. It was too late once I saw the option "I already have an online account" or something.

But since getting my debit card, I added my Citigold account to my CC account, so I have just one login now, and my account CC account now looks like a Citigold account (like I said, gold bar, older interface, etc).

And now, my SMs are currently on 3-4 days. One of them, for example, I just want to cancel my AA Exec! Before I added my CG account, the SM would get a response within hours...now it's been 4 days for that SM!! Is the fact that my Citigold is added to my CC account now making all of my SMs go through Citigold, which seem to only have 9-5, M-F hours?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA
I also had two logins that became one Citigold-dominated login, and in general the Citigold version account seems more poorly designed than the credit card version of the account. SMs are worse, and information is more confusingly presented.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Anyone know where I can find the credit card funding authorization form? I didn't print it out when going through the app.

Thanks.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Anyone know where I can find the credit card funding authorization form? I didn't print it out when going through the app.

Thanks.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cred...orization+form

open he file marked "[PDF]Citibank Online Credit/Debit Card Deposit Form"

Last edited by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS; Nov 22, 2015 at 4:40 pm
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS
https://www.google.com/search?q=cred...orization+form

open he file marked "[PDF]Citibank Online Credit/Debit Card Deposit Form"
excellent thanks
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:16 am

Citigold 50K AA miles bonus while swapping AA cards

Originally Posted by pritomd
I just want to point out that several blogs have said that Citi AA Plat is required to be eligible for Citigold 50K offer.

After chatting with some reps (related to ensuring the offer was attached to my account, and the correct AA # is used), they seemed to give the impression that having only a Citi AA Exec is fine, even though I don't have AA Plat. They said they'd use my AA Exec to get my AA number, and didn't see any issues with not having a Plat and only having Exec.

Just wanted to post the reactions/feelings the CSRs gave me since a few blogs have specifically said you need a Plat....and by the way, the terms themselves don't mention specifically an AA Plat; it just says AA credit card...which would potentially include the Exec..
I am in a somewhat similar situation and appreciate the data point. I had the AA Gold when I signed up for the Citigold. The AF on the AA Gold just hit and I'm planning to cancel that card. I have just signed up & received the AA Platinum. My plan is that since the terms of the Citigold offer is that I need to have a unspecified Citi AA card in good standing, that the AA Platinum would work in the place of the AA Gold

Would appreciate if someone can confirm that this is a legit approach.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by convert
Does anyone know if the additional cash that is withdrawn at a supermarket purchase counts toward the $1000 debit requirement to get the miles?

Thank
I'm looking at the breakdown and it seems like the cash back portion of the transaction is coded as a purchase/cash back. $3.30PUR/$200.00CASH.

Does any one have any experience if this meets the min spend req. It's not a big deal, and i can make the purchases, but just wanted to confirm.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:16 pm

My wife opened a CG account in mid-August. She still hasn't gotten the 40K TYP, but on 12/1 she got 450 TYP. We have no idea where those points came from. The account was loaded with $15K in August, and she's made $20-30 in monthly billpays since then. No debit purchases. Any ideas?

Last edited by DaveInLA; Dec 8, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My wife opened a CG account in mid-August. She still hasn't gotten the 40K TYP, but on 12/1 she got 450 TYP. We have no idea where those points came from. The account was loaded with $15K in August, and she's made $20-30 in monthly billpays since then. No debit purchases. Any ideas?
CitiGold customers can earn free TYP every month:
https://online.citi.com/JRS/popups/BankingRewards.pdf
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by nall

CitiGold customers can earn free TYP every month:
https://online.citi.com/JRS/popups/BankingRewards.pdf
Yeah, but this is the first time since August that points posted. Also, CG gets points when the account has direct deposit, which her account doesn't have.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
downgrading to basic account

I got the 40k thank you point offer for citigold.....if i downgrade my citi bank account to a "Basic Banking Package", will i get to keep my points or that make them expire?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.