Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
CitiGold is Citi's premium banking relationship. To remain a Citigold client, maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts. There is no monthly service fee for accounts in The Citigold Account Package.

Be aware that Citi Wealth Management will not allow any trading of non traditional stocks and ETFs. No leveraged ETFs, no inverse ETFs. Its brokerage service is similar to Chase YouInvest. It is just basic investment service.

1. Click HERE to read a separate thread discussing expiration of ThankYou Points when closing a Citigold account.

2. Citi has introduced Citi Priority with a minimum combined balance of $50K as of November 6, 2016. Those who were no longer qualified under the new Citigold requirement has been downgraded to Citi Priority. Discussion HERE.
Print Wikipost

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by nanirina
Does anyone have experience with citigold benefits worldwide? citigold agent #1 told me that as long as I have citigold in one country, I can have the benefits of citigold worlwide. Another agent #2 told me that's not true. In particular, I am interested to know if I have citigold in one country (ie not USA), and I have US credit cards, whether I would be able to have the fees waived/reduced (as if I did have citigold in the USA).

Thx for help!
try use the branch locator on the website and look for branches that are also "international banking centres". those are citigold branches specifically equipped to answer questions like the one you have, but these branches are rare. for example there is only one branch in the entire Chicago metropolitan area + 250 mile radius.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:13 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Maybe I missed a beat, but I thought the days of CitiGold status waiving CC annual fees were over?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
They are over. Old arrangements, though, are generally grandfathered.

New applicants just get $100 off -- if they're Citi Gold. That's it.

Net of the $250 airfare credit, your net cost is then $100. And then, assuming you do monthly bill-pay, auto-save and auto-deposit (collectively worth 975 TYPs per month) and use the resulting 11,700 points to buy AA tickets with the 0.6% Prestige Card premium (i.e., at 1.6 cents per TYP), your net annual cost is really $30 (11,700 * .006 = $70.20, which is your savings for having the Prestige Card).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA AA DL SW Marriott
I was able to keep my CitiGold status up to now. I originally got the CitiGold tied with a CitiBiz account. The biz account has long been closed (7 or 8 yrs ago), but kept the CitiGold status without $ requirement. Wondering if 2015 change will result a change, did not receive a letter though.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
I'm trying to do the math on whether it's worth it for me to stash $50K in a Citigold account. One thing I'm confused about is the relationship bonus for spending on a Thank You card like the Citi Prestige. Is the 15% bonus only based on the amount of dollar spend, or is it based on the number of points earned? In other words, if I spend $10K on travel and $10K on dining (no other spend) with the Citi Prestige, I would earn 50k TYPs. Would the 15% relationship bonus be 3000 TYPs ($20K spend * 0.15) or 7500 TYPs (50K points * 0.15)? The wording in the T&C sounds like it's based on dollars, but I've seen it discussed here as if it is based on points.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by taliesin
I'm trying to do the math on whether it's worth it for me to stash $50K in a Citigold account. One thing I'm confused about is the relationship bonus for spending on a Thank You card like the Citi Prestige. Is the 15% bonus only based on the amount of dollar spend, or is it based on the number of points earned? In other words, if I spend $10K on travel and $10K on dining (no other spend) with the Citi Prestige, I would earn 50k TYPs. Would the 15% relationship bonus be 3000 TYPs ($20K spend * 0.15) or 7500 TYPs (50K points * 0.15)? The wording in the T&C sounds like it's based on dollars, but I've seen it discussed here as if it is based on points.
Can you please share how you want to park the $50K? In checking/savings/CD, or investment. I want to get a good return with low costs and would appreciate a recommendation.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Can you please share how you want to park the $50K? In checking/savings/CD, or investment. I want to get a good return with low costs and would appreciate a recommendation.
I cannot open an investment account with them (work restriction), so I would just be putting cash either in savings (earns 10 bps) or a 12M CD (earns 20 bps). The money is currently in an Amex savings account that earns 83 bps, so the interest income sacrificed would be about $300 before taxes or about $180 after. (50K * 0.6%). (On this note, I'm also curious if people are getting 1099s for TYPs earned through their Citigold accounts.)

If you have the capability to open an investment account with them, then that has the potential to be cheaper, though then the minimum balance is $100K rather than $50K.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:56 pm

I opened up a Roth IRA with them and transferred a fund from my Roth IRA in Vanguard. Only brought over $50K just to meet the minimum needed. Keeping my Vanguard account and future contributions will still go there..
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by crapz1
I opened up a Roth IRA with them and transferred a fund from my Roth IRA in Vanguard. Only brought over $50K just to meet the minimum needed. Keeping my Vanguard account and future contributions will still go there..
I am used to fidelity/schwab/vanguard, where you can just go into their website and shop around for funds, see prospectus, fees, returns, etc.

I find that citi does not have a very good web interface, and even when I called, they were not too eager to hep me shop around.

A little help would be appreciated. I do use gold a lot and have multiple accounts, so I am wanting to keep it.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Anyone have a promo code for the offer of up to 30k AA miles (Citigold) or 15k (Citibank) accounts? I believe it's targeted

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/target...irect-deposit/
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Anyone have the 50k offer code?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
CitiGold business?

I am in need of a small business checking account (never had one before, so new at this). Is there some version of CitiGold that works with business accounts so I can get the Prestige AF discount?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by travel_mav
Anyone have a promo code for the offer of up to 30k AA miles (Citigold) or 15k (Citibank) accounts? I believe it's targeted

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/target...irect-deposit/

I have a $300 bonus offer, not as good as 30k AA miles
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by mangoMan
I am in need of a small business checking account (never had one before, so new at this). Is there some version of CitiGold that works with business accounts so I can get the Prestige AF discount?
https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/p...eferredBanking

This is actually how I qualify for Citgold, at least until they change the terms again.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by loudnotes
https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/p...eferredBanking

This is actually how I qualify for Citgold, at least until they change the terms again.
Thanks loudnotes! It looks like if you get this business account, you also get a "free" Citigold personal account, if I'm reading the description correctly. I'll have to stop by a branch and check it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.