Citicards 60 day/ one application policy

Old May 24, 2009, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by deant
If you look at your credit report (at least from Experian), Citi does not report a credit limit so it is not used in your utilization calculation. The balance due on Citi cards are, I believe, used in the calculation. So you will have an overstated utilization calculation.
I'm not sure I follow you. They said my utilization within Citi was too high (currently 0%) or that I wasn't paying enough towards my Citi cards (I pay in full monthly the only card with them I use). If they meant my overall utilization, that is probably no more than 5%, but usually more like 1-2% thanks to consolidating after every AoR.

Regardless, it worked out ok. I'll be interested to see what happens in 60 when I go again. I am finally getting more religious about my churning since LSC has dried up as a source of miles. I hope to hit 2mm within a year.
Old May 25, 2009, 3:05 am
Suspended

You mentioned AOR - I am only speculating here. But do you happen to have a high balance on some card at a 0% rate? Maybe this is triggering something in the CITI system for your rejection.
Old May 25, 2009, 6:58 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Point of Reference for Card applications

I applied for both the business card and the personal MC around 5/1. Given the confusion regarding the 60 day rule, I applied for an AAdvantage Amex around 5/20 and was rejected:

Here's what you should know
Unfortunately, we are unable to approve the application at
this time because:

o It is our policy to limit the number of credit requests
that we process within a 60-day period. Our records
show that you applied for credit with us within the past
60 days.
While I'm not certain that it's because I got both the business and personal card, it couldn't have helped. Although my business has its own tax ID# and I used that during my application.

Now the real question is that they say they limit the number they process... so I'm assuming that means this one wasn't processed and I can apply around July 1??? Or are we still hanging onto the belief that it's based upon most recent submission and I have to wait until July 20th?
Old May 25, 2009, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
That is another YMMV as discussed on this board, and in any event the hard pulls have had ZERO effect on my ability to get more cards or any credit for that matter.
How many other cards have you tried to apply for?

The issue is not whether you can apply for other cards. The issue whether applying for other cards bill put you over the "7 hard pulls in last 6 months" at Citi, thereby causing you a rejection on a future Citi app.

I have no problem with every app doing a hard pull as long as I'm doing Citi apps and nothing else. The problem I have is doing any other card apps without that messing up my Citi apps, without reducing the number of hard pulls (or having them be at different agencies).

Agree on the YMMV tho (you have to check your own credit report, I don't think you go on state-by-state stuff alone like on of the oft-quoted discussion boards implies).
Old May 25, 2009, 8:06 am

Programs: AA, UA.
I just apply for MC and show application received. I called 1-888-201-4523 and the customer services told me I apply too soon. My application got reject.

My last two card were apply on 3/23 and 4/6. So, look like it is only one card per 60 days rule to me. She told me I have to wait for 60 days to reapply, she even told me reapply on 7/26 (from the last application 5/25 that I got rejected).
Old May 25, 2009, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
I have learned NOT to do two in the same day, mainly because the spending. No sense in having 2 $750 cards in my wallet, I have to use them one at a time anyway. I usually have them about 30 days apart.
If I could count on a statement closing time having a consistent relationship to the statement app date, that might make sense.

But my experience is that they're totally random, and that means when I apply for 2 at the same time they might still be 3 weeks apart (in closing dates).

For example, on my most recent app, on 4/13, I got approved for both MC and Amex after calling (within an hour of applying online). It took another week or so for the cards to get here (West Coast). When they did, it turned out the MC was closing on 5/6, so too soon for me to do my $750 on that anyway, so I put that off till the next month, and did the $750 on the Amex, which was closing on 5/12. Then as soon as finished the $750 on the Amex, I started on the MC (where only one or two purchases posted on the first statement), and just yesterday finished the $750 on that.

That's the order I prefer too, since Amex is not accepted quite as widely. While I was trying to use "only" the Amex, I was out of town and ate at a restaurant that didn't take Amex, so I started on my new AA MC $750 at that restaurant.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by moon4fun

My last two card were apply on 3/23 and 4/6. So, look like it is only one card per 60 days rule to me.
The way Citi's system calculate 60 days between applications is not an exact 60 days. I always wait 67 days (1 extra week) to be 100% sure. I have also read about this on other credit card forums.

So while you did apply after 60 days, looks like you may have applied say on Day 63 - and the Citi system rejected this.

I would call again and try and speak with a credit analyst and try and get your application to be looked at again for the reason that you DID APPLY AFTER 60 DAYS. Certainly worth a try !
Old May 25, 2009, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by 3rivers
You mentioned AOR - I am only speculating here. But do you happen to have a high balance on some card at a 0% rate? Maybe this is triggering something in the CITI system for your rejection.
As I said in my post, my Citi Utilization is 0%, overall is never more than 5%, usually 1-2%. At today's interest rates and with very few capped fees left, I gave up on the BT game a while ago. My only utilization is from the one personal card I use, which fluctuates month to month, but is always paid off monthly.
Old May 25, 2009, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Have you checked your credit report to make absolutely sure that it is really showing your current utilization at 1-2%.

If yes, then you really need to speak to a credit analyst and find out more info - as what would really change in 2 months time if you applied again? Nothing - your credit report would show the same info as now, and you could possibly be rejected again.

I am just wondering if there is something else they are rejecting for - I really dont know - but it's worth trying to find out - best of luck.
Old May 25, 2009, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by 3rivers
Have you checked your credit report to make absolutely sure that it is really showing your current utilization at 1-2%.

If yes, then you really need to speak to a credit analyst and find out more info - as what would really change in 2 months time if you applied again? Nothing - your credit report would show the same info as now, and you could possibly be rejected again.

I am just wondering if there is something else they are rejecting for - I really dont know - but it's worth trying to find out - best of luck.
I check it almost daily. Like I said, after it was reviewed for the second time it was approved. I was just concerned because they couldn't cite a basis for the first rejection. The letter mentioned utilization, but the analyst could find no sign of high utilization on my record. I only brought it up as background to my getting 3 approvals at the same time in case the manual review allowed me to bypass the limit somehow. I'm not really looking for a "solution" unless the same happens again in 60.
Old May 25, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
If I could count on a statement closing time having a consistent relationship to the statement app date, that might make sense.

But my experience is that they're totally random, and that means when I apply for 2 at the same time they might still be 3 weeks apart (in closing dates).

For example, on my most recent app, on 4/13, I got approved for both MC and Amex after calling (within an hour of applying online). It took another week or so for the cards to get here (West Coast). When they did, it turned out the MC was closing on 5/6, so too soon for me to do my $750 on that anyway, so I put that off till the next month, and did the $750 on the Amex, which was closing on 5/12. Then as soon as finished the $750 on the Amex, I started on the MC (where only one or two purchases posted on the first statement), and just yesterday finished the $750 on that.

That's the order I prefer too, since Amex is not accepted quite as widely. While I was trying to use "only" the Amex, I was out of town and ate at a restaurant that didn't take Amex, so I started on my new AA MC $750 at that restaurant.

I totally agree. When the Mrs. and I apply for a M/C within 5 minutes of each other using the same link, the closing dates ARE totally random. One card may close a week after receipt and the other three weeks later. Its always been totally random as far as I can remember.

Jim
Old May 25, 2009, 7:19 pm

Does this sound right?

The other week I applied for a Aadvantage personal MC and was sent this rejection:

It is our policy to limit the number of credit requests
that we process within a 60-day period. Our records
show that you applied for credit with us within the past
60 days.

But I hadn't applied for credit with them or anybody else within 60 days (and a copy of my Experian report confirmed it)! I called to try to get the decision reversed and was told if I faxed a copy of my credit report showing 0 inquiries w/i the last 60 days from ANY CARD ISSUER, they would approve my app. Should I do it? Are they really going to go on my faxed in copy of my credit report? Has this happened to anyone else?
Old May 25, 2009, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Neltron
But I hadn't applied for credit with them or anybody else within 60 days (and a copy of my Experian report confirmed it)! I called to try to get the decision reversed and was told if I faxed a copy of my credit report showing 0 inquiries w/i the last 60 days from ANY CARD ISSUER, they would approve my app. Should I do it? Are they really going to go on my faxed in copy of my credit report? Has this happened to anyone else?
Call again and talk to a different agent. As you can see by prior posts, Citi is making a lot of errors and the errors are being corrected on the second call.
Old May 26, 2009, 9:35 am

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
At day 63, I applied for both MC and Amex at about the same time. I called in and had the same agent process and approve both applications. I've done it this way several times and, while the new billing dates seem to be random, there seems to be a two-week window between the two cards (i.e. MC is 8th of the month and Amex closes on the 22nd). I'll see if the trend occurs this time around.
Old May 26, 2009, 8:41 pm

I applied and received my last 3 Citi cards April 1st 2 personal 1 business. I figure I will try for 2 more personal cards mid May. My question is I would like to get the Starwood cards personal and business, and possibly a Chase United card for personal and business. Is it foolish and overstretching to move like that while Citi is Still working well? Is there a best way to time additional credit providers between the 60+ day window, or is best just to stay in one house? Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.