Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citicards 60 day/ one application policy

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by cmjaffe
nearpost... don't worry
since the card your applying for isn't really an "Amex" card.
It's an AA Citibank Amex card. Believe it or not somewhat different.
We've got several other Amex cards (costco, hilton) which allow us to make payment over the phone from checking account w/o fee. Not so w/Citi cards (Amex, M/C) they charge $14ish for this benefit so I make sure that I never run a payment close. Luckily I've now set up bill pay on line though not an auto pay.
many thanks cmjaffe. I have had a lot of fun over the years arbitraging 0 apr credit cards (the ones that cap the balance transfer fee at $75 or so.) As those offers have mostly dried up, this is a great substitute!
Old May 15, 2009, 6:40 pm

Possible variable

When denied under this alleged new policy for a AMEX AAdvantage, I had a credit line of $45,000 on an existing AMEX AAdvantage, the result of a series of card closing-consolidations. I have a slightly above average credit score, but not one that justifies such a large credit credit line. Anyone think existing open credit lines with Citi plays a role under this seemingly YMMV policy, judging from their experiences? (An earlier poster alluded to this.)
Old May 16, 2009, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by forextrader
Applied this morning for the 30K personal M/C and 5 minutes later for the 30K personal AMEX...

Note that before I applied, yesterday I reduced by $8000 credit limits on other Citi cards I have.

One hour after applying I called Citi for approval for the Amex: approved with $4K limit.

15 min later I called Citi for approval for the M/C: approved with $4K limit

After being approved for both PERSONAL cards, I then applied for the business card...

I called 5 min later - was put on hold a bit longer than usual - and viola!!
I was approved with a $4K limit (much lower than normal for the business card)..
That is certainly good news, as I was going to do that in exact same order. Didn't think about reducing limits though. Did it today. Later checked online and it was reduced. Now I looked again and the limit is back up at the original amount. Huh? Will try again.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:29 am

Well, I lowered my credit line before I applied on line (for 2 cards) and it was more than 60 days since I last applied (2/11) and I "only had 3 citi cards open (the 2 from Feb. and one from '91) and I was still generated the letter about applying within 60 days. When I called they asked which card (ONE) I'd want to apply for. So it's really YMMV.
Good luck
Old May 16, 2009, 1:58 pm

Here's another data point to report. Myself and another person signed up for the 30k Citi Mastercard and got instant approval. Then, about 10 minutes later, we each signed up for the Citi Amex and got instant approval as well.

The odd thing is, we both got the confirmation email for the Mastercard, but neither of us have gotten an email about the Amex card. We did both get instant approval on both and we setup online access and all that.

Is it normal not to receive an email for both cards and only get one? Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting instant approval and then still getting rejected later?
Old May 16, 2009, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by highgear
Here's another data point to report. Myself and another person signed up for the 30k Citi Mastercard and got instant approval. Then, about 10 minutes later, we each signed up for the Citi Amex and got instant approval as well.

The odd thing is, we both got the confirmation email for the Mastercard, but neither of us have gotten an email about the Amex card. We did both get instant approval on both and we setup online access and all that.

Is it normal not to receive an email for both cards and only get one? Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting instant approval and then still getting rejected later?
When I signed up for AA MC and Visa back in December, I got instant approval on both, and email from MC but not from Visa. When I did the same in March (no instant approvals though), I got emails from both. It is also YMMV situation, which probably doesn't mean much.
Old May 16, 2009, 4:36 pm

It has been almost 60 and 45 days since my last personal card applications. From the new information, it appears I should wait two more weeks and try applying for both, rather than applying now and risk rejection and having the cycle reset. Which is a bummer because both cards have the $750 reached, so I am ready to start spending on another...
Old May 16, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeJetplane
It has been almost 60 and 45 days since my last personal card applications. From the new information, it appears I should wait two more weeks and try applying for both, rather than applying now and risk rejection and having the cycle reset. Which is a bummer because both cards have the $750 reached, so I am ready to start spending on another...
Welcome to the club... Many of us reach the $750 spend the day we receive our cards... Then we must sit around and suffer for the next 59 days
Old May 16, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP

If you had a second card 45 days after the first, then I think it is safe to say you are part of the 2 in 60 days group. I would make sure you go at least 62 days after your first and apply again. No sense waiting another 15 days and lose out on those miles!

Jim
Old May 17, 2009, 3:37 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Different opinion to Jim on this one - I would personally wait the extra two weeks, and then apply for BOTH M/C and AMEX on the same day

Also I happen to be more "conservative" than Jim and prefer to wait 65 days from the "member since" date which can differ from the application date by 1-2 days. (actually I just read Jim said "atleast" 62 days)

To check your "member since" date - when you go online to see your account details - on the right side it says "see AA miles earned" or something of that nature. If you click on that, it takes you to a page that says "member since Apr 7, 2009" for example. This is the date I personally use to start my count.
Old May 17, 2009, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To check your "member since" date - when you go online to see your account details - on the right side it says "see AA miles earned" or something of that nature. If you click on that, it takes you to a page that says "member since Apr 7, 2009" for example. This is the date I personally use to start my count.
That's great if you see that, but I don't have it. And if I click on View Reward Details from the menu at the top, on every account it takes me to an error page. (The only way I can see AA miles earned is to actually download a statement. I don't suppose this is what you meant?)

If I do go to Download Statement, it doesn't spell out "member since", but it does say, under Request Archived Statements: "You can request 6 statements at this time, as far back as 04/13/2009." Which just happens to be the exact date that I applied for (and, after a followup phone call) got approved for my most recent two cards.

And, btw, in case there's any doubt about whether the application date or the approval date counts, that would be another reason to call immediately after applying online (when you don't get instant approval), as that'll likely keep your application and approval dates the same.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
On same line as CURRENT BALANCE and LAST STATEMENT BALANCE, on the right side it should say "American Airlines AAdvantageŽ miles earned on last statement" - that should bring you to a page that says REWARDS DETAILS Program:

CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ card

Hope that helps
Old May 17, 2009, 11:33 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by sdsearch
That's great if you see that, but I don't have it. And if I click on View Reward Details from the menu at the top, on every account it takes me to an error page. (The only way I can see AA miles earned is to actually download a statement. I don't suppose this is what you meant?)
I have an M/C that shows me the date and the Amex that leads to an error but I haven't hit the first billing cycle on that one yet.
Old May 17, 2009, 12:12 pm

On same line as CURRENT BALANCE and LAST STATEMENT BALANCE, on the right side it should say "American Airlines AAdvantageŽ miles earned on last statement" - that should bring you to a page that says REWARDS DETAILS Program:

CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ card

Hope that helps
Both of my personal cards have the exact same Member Since date of 04/01/09, although I applied and was approved for the cards 2 weeks apart.
Old May 17, 2009, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
If you had a second card 45 days after the first, then I think it is safe to say you are part of the 2 in 60 days group. I would make sure you go at least 62 days after your first and apply again. No sense waiting another 15 days and lose out on those miles!

Jim
(30,000 miles)/(60 days) = 500 miles a day, so delaying 15 days costs me 7500 miles.

However, if the application fails, they might make me wait another 60 days to apply for another, which would cost me 45 days or 22,500 miles.

I have been in the 2 every 60 days group for at least the last year. According to recent posts on this thread, are they changing that for some people from 2/60 to 1/60? Thats why I am concerned.

Also, I don't have another card for spending. I will have to keep a personal card open while applying for both new cards, which I don't like to do, but have done in the past. Another variable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.