Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citicards 60 day/ one application policy

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
With the 30k personal card promo, I would think doing 2 personal cards every 60 days would be the most productive.

Jim
There is a 30K business card version as well. I receive a mailer of it.

But I am like you, only do personal cards. In our case, we just want to keep it plain and simple.

I only called once back in last Dec when the new userid did not come alive after 5 days. it turned out the card was already approved day after app, but Citi was having some issues with its system and the userid set up with the app wouldn't attached to the new card, or the card field was 0000 instead of card number - that was what the web support guy told me. Card arrived 2 days after I called - so basically it was business as usual, 7 days between app and card arrival. Since then the glitch is fixed. The past 2 rounds userids came alive the next day. We did both MC and AMEX together.

I really think there is no universal rules for everyone - it seems to me Citi has its own proprietary system to determine whether you can get 1 or 2 cards and how many active cards you could have at a given time. People should take others posts as data points but not gospel. It is truly YMMV with Citi, and the same can be said with other issuers as well.

Last edited by Happy; May 14, 2009 at 8:48 am
Old May 13, 2009, 11:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
CandymanJim,
Did you do one card each for yourself and wife or Amex&M/C for each?
At first I did the apps for aunt got the call info and was approved (amex & m/c) she's got lower income but has same # cards. After success I thought I was ok to try myself since it was well past the 60 days (approved 2/11) and then got the message that it will be processed. We'll see if I get approved for the Amex since the supervisor said "which one do you want to pursue"... I know that I'll be able to use the Amex at Costco to make the $750 purchase.
I'm OK with being put on hold since we're trying to build up DH lifetime status and he'll inherit them from Aunt (in late 90s though we're not shoveling anything).
We both always do just the M/C. When we cant hit the $750 before the next card arrives, I turn to the US Mint for some extra spending. In these tougher times we found that many of our providers will take M/C to pay your bills with, such as AT&T Cellular and my Charter cable bill among others.

Jim
Old May 14, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well, to add another data point:

I had applied for the personal AA AMEX back in Jan, ran up the $750, got my bonus. Applied for the personal AA MC March 30, ran up the $750 just waiting for that to close and get my bonus. I cancelled the AMEX last week and tried to re-apply for it on Monday (May 11), but only got to step 3 in the online app, so I knew what that meant. Called today and the rep told me that I last applied for a personal card on March 30, and I can only apply for ONE personal every 60 days, but I could apply for a business card as that is on a different cycle. I told her I thought it was one app per card flavor every 60 days and she nope, its one PERSONAL card ANY flavor every 60 days.

Oh well, more waiting...
Old May 14, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
and another data point:

I last applied for the personal AA Amex last March, then decided to do some churning once the 30,000 bonus came out recently.

I was approved for the personal AA mastercard on 5/7
I canceled my old personal AA Amex yesterday (5/13)
I was approved for a new AA Amex today (5/14)

I'll try again in 60 days and see how that goes.
Old May 14, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Well the one card per 60 days OR two cards per 60 days is a definite YMMV situation. Also business cards now being counted with personal cards a definite YMMV situation.

Applied this morning for the 30K personal M/C and 5 minutes later for the 30K personal AMEX - both of which I was not targetted for by email - used a link provided here on FT.

Note that before I applied, yesterday I reduced by $8000 credit limits on other Citi cards I have.

One hour after applying I called Citi for approval for the Amex: approved with $4K limit.

15 min later I called Citi for approval for the M/C: approved with $4K limit

Note the total of the new credit cards ($8000) exactly matching the amount I reduced my existing credit limits by yesterday, as I know I am at/near the amount Citi will extend to me.

In both cases I got to step 5 in the application, being able to set up my online user name and password, so I knew both applications went through just fine.

So atleast for me, everything is running like normal: 2 cards every 65 days (I always allow +5 days to the cycle) - both cards applied for on the same day.

After being approved for both PERSONAL cards, I then applied for the business card (I was well passed my 90 day cycle - basically I forgot to apply at start of April) - application went through normally getting to step 5 where I created web username and password.

Note I had cancelled my previous AA business card last month, so I had no business cards at all with Citi.

I called 5 min later - was put on hold a bit longer than usual - and viola!!
I was approved with a $4K limit (much lower than normal for the business card).

So atleast for me - all exactly as things have always been:

PERSONAL : 2 cards every 60+ days
BUSINESS: 1 card every 90+ days

All 3 cards on the new 30K miles page (I re-confirmed after I was approved and the rep said 30K miles after $750 spend in 4 months)

So a very nice 90K miles coming my way soon - thank you CITI

Last edited by forextrader; May 14, 2009 at 10:03 am
Old May 14, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Here is the email I received, kind of vague as I've only applied for ONE personal MC and ONE business MC in the past 60 days

Dear denCSA:

Why we're writing you
Thank you for applying for the Citi Select(SM) / AAdvantage(R)
American Express(R) account.

Here's what you should know
Unfortunately, we are unable to approve the application at
this time because:

o It is our policy to limit the number of credit requests
that we process within a 60-day period. Our records
show that you applied for credit with us within the past
60 days.

We appreciate your interest and we hope to have the opportunity
to serve you in the future.

Sincerely,

R. M. Pick
Credit Operations Department
Old May 14, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Sorry to see you were denied - this is a definite YMMV situation with CITI where it looks like the rules are being set up on an individual basis. Atleast for this round, things for me were normal - I will see in 3 weeks when my wife applies for her 2 personal cards what the result will be - her case will be different to me in that she has just applied for a business card (approved) last week. So when she applies for her personal cards it will be about 25 days from when she applied for the biz card. This might come into play - time will tell.
Old May 14, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
I think we have enough evidence to support the following theories:

1) You are allowed 2 personal applications during a 60 day window. Some are reporting they are only limited to 1 personal card every 60 days.

2) You can additionally get one Business card every 90 days in addition to the 2 personal cards. However, some mixed responses from Citi CSR's and some FT'ers reporting denied applications seems to indicate Citi is limiting the Business card to include it with the 2 cards in 60 days.

3) Citi really has no idea of what it is doing and cannot provide any straight answers, rhyme or reason as to why some people are treated differently than others.

In the end it really is a case of YMMV....

Wasn't it just last year we had $250 applications and 3 in 60 days?

Jim
Old May 14, 2009, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by forextrader

Applied this morning for the 30K personal M/C and 5 minutes later for the 30K personal AMEX - both of which I was not targetted for by email - used a link provided here on FT.
Could you please provide the links? I am about to apply for a new round. I will try to apply 2 personal cards and 1 business card. I will post my result.

p/s: Is there also a 30k Business link?
Old May 14, 2009, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by macboss
Could you please provide the links? I am about to apply for a new round. I will try to apply 2 personal cards and 1 business card. I will post my result.

p/s: Is there also a 30k Business link?
Check the posts here, within the last 30 days, and all will be revealed. Also, the same links appear in the AA forum.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:38 am

Definitely a YMMV type of thing.
After calling up CS and finally speaking to someone in US (told about opening accounts on 2/11) was told only "one" card and I should tell her which application I would want opened. Told Amex since I knew I'd use it at Costco, pay utility bills and then there's always the "mint" so $750 shouldn't be too hard. Yesterday afternoon going through e-mails I get the rejection e-mail for both Amex and M/C with application number but since I got email late I didn't bother until this AM since I didn't want to bother w/supervisor "offshore". THis AM call up w/ID # and find out the Amex was approved w/$8K credit line. Which I find funny that right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing. As I mentioned before I'm not too concerned about my earning miles (OK, I'd love them but I'm a bit far from next level for lifetime to really fret about the 1 vs. 2 card.. am greatful for what I get). DH had last opened cards on 3/21 so will wait until about 5/26 (during week) to try 2 more again and if that goes through will try a b-card. He usually earns about 100K a year BIS but this year hasn't had a flight yet.
Good luck to everyone. Wasn't it just last year it went from 20K for $250 purchase, then 25K for $750 purchase, now 30K for $750 -- sweet for however long it lasts.
Old May 15, 2009, 11:21 am

I plan on applying for an AA citi amex card. However I already have a plain amex card. I have had it 20 years with a $11,500 credit limit that never has more than $300 on it.

So my question is do I get automatically rejected by Citi on the grounds that I may not have more than one amex card?

Thanks
Old May 15, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nearpost
I plan on applying for an AA citi amex card. However I already have a plain amex card. I have had it 20 years with a $11,500 credit limit that never has more than $300 on it.

So my question is do I get automatically rejected by Citi on the grounds that I may not have more than one amex card?
No you should not get rejected. Many people here have more than one AMEX card.
Old May 15, 2009, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by deant
No you should not get rejected. Many people here have more than one AMEX card.

Okay, thanks very much. I will get back on here with my results next month. I am waiting for a 20k debt to clear off my revolving debt record before applying.
Old May 15, 2009, 12:26 pm

nearpost... don't worry
since the card your applying for isn't really an "Amex" card.
It's an AA Citibank Amex card. Believe it or not somewhat different.
We've got several other Amex cards (costco, hilton) which allow us to make payment over the phone from checking account w/o fee. Not so w/Citi cards (Amex, M/C) they charge $14ish for this benefit so I make sure that I never run a payment close. Luckily I've now set up bill pay on line though not an auto pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.