Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citicards 60 day/ one application policy

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 9:15 am

Yes, I too experienced a rejection as a result of the 60 day rule. I called a couple of times and was told that business cards are now included in the cycle.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by macboss
My 60-90 days window has passed for my personal and biz AA cards. Does it matter if I do it like this (1 phone call each time):

1) Move most of the credit line from a personal AA CC card to my Citi MC Platinum
2) Cancel AA Personal card
3) Cancel my AA Biz card
4) Apply for 2 Personal cards
5) Apply for 1 biz card

in 1 day. Or should I time it better? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Looking at the other posts, I would only apply for 1 card until the 60 day period is clarified. From what others have said, they now, at a minimum, include the biz card in with the personal card cycle.

Also, others have said that, since Sunday, it is ONE application per 60 days.

It will probably take a week or so to get more data points to find out if we are now at 1 application per 60 days.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:24 pm

Not true actually about the one card rule...
since I did do my aunt's applications (amex and m/c) about 1 1/2 hrs prior to doing my 2 applications. I had opened her accounts in February also (2) a few days prior to mine. Her application yesterdays for both cards were approved and mine were denied. We both have the same # of citi cards and I have the long history with them. She, on the other hand, started this about a year ago.
Go figure.
Old May 13, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
everything with citi is arbitrary... There are some loose policies, but no hard and fast rules... EVERYTHING with them is YMMV... Live it, learn it, move on...
Old May 13, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
I think occassionally their system does limit applications to one, for some reason. happened to me couple of times. but kept applying with the schedule two per 60 days and got approved again.

so getting the letter doesn't mean your game is over.
Old May 13, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Even if it's just one every 60 days, 150k (or 180k if they continue the 30k offer) miles per year is still a pretty nice little bonus. It's not over until they stop giving the bonus for existing customers.
Old May 13, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Theories Proven

OK, it was time to get another card since it had been 62 days since my previous applications. My wife and I EACH have 2 accounts open still working on the $750 billing statement to close and for the 25k bonus to post.

I applied for an account under my name and the online response was to call for immediate approval. I called and was congratulated and given a 20k limit immediately. I was holding my finger over the submit button on the same application for my wife to get the 30k card as well. I was making sure I was not limited to multiple cards or Citi counting wrong on the 60 day issue. Since I was approved over the phone I hit submit on her application and it was immediately approved with a 15k limit. Since I don't do the Business churn, but I do use the Citi Business card about 10k a month, I am only doing the personal cards and I can attest that we each have two personal cards out and we were each approved for new cards using the 30k application.

Jim
Old May 13, 2009, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
I can attest that we each have two personal cards out and we were each approved for new cards using the 30k application.

Jim
But what others are reporting is not about how many cards you can have at one time, but how often you can get a new card.

In your case each individual applied for ONE new card after 60+ days, so there's no argument about that. The question is, if you now apply for another card (if you just got MC, then apply for AmEx), what happens?

Normally one could get both an MC and an AmEx every 60+ days.
Old May 13, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by kalia960
But what others are reporting is not about how many cards you can have at one time, but how often you can get a new card.

In your case each individual applied for ONE new card after 60+ days, so there's no argument about that. The question is, if you now apply for another card (if you just got MC, then apply for AmEx), what happens?

Normally one could get both an MC and an AmEx every 60+ days.
I always do two every 60 days. One of my existing cards was from a 3/12/09 application (62 Days) and the other was 4/7/09 (36 days). So my application today confirmed I have 2 cards within a 60 day window.

Jim
Old May 13, 2009, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
I always do two every 60 days. One of my existing cards was from a 3/12/09 application (62 Days) and the other was 4/7/09 (36 days). So my application today confirmed I have 2 cards within a 60 day window.

Jim
OK. Two posts earlier you said "it had been 62 days since my previous applications", but I now understand that this was an error.
Old May 13, 2009, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by kalia960
OK. Two posts earlier you said "it had been 62 days since my previous applications", but I now understand that this was an error.

Sorry, I am confusing myself referring to my applications and both my wife's and mine which are always done at the same time.

Jim
Old May 13, 2009, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by deant
Looking at the other posts, I would only apply for 1 card until the 60 day period is clarified. From what others have said, they now, at a minimum, include the biz card in with the personal card cycle.

Also, others have said that, since Sunday, it is ONE application per 60 days.

It will probably take a week or so to get more data points to find out if we are now at 1 application per 60 days.
Thanks, Could someone else confirm that Citi now includes the biz card in with the personal card cycle (60 days)?

I have never applied 2 personal cards every 60 days cycle. I normally go for 1 personal every 60 days and 1 biz card every 90 days.

Thanks,
Old May 13, 2009, 5:42 pm

Thanks, Could someone else confirm that Citi now includes the biz card in with the personal card cycle (60 days)?

I have never applied 2 personal cards every 60 days cycle. I normally go for 1 personal every 60 days and 1 biz card every 90 days.

Thanks,
With the 30k personal card promo, I would think doing 2 personal cards every 60 days would be the most productive.

Jim
Old May 13, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
Starwood fans (of which I am one) will say that there are even better uses for the Starpoints in the form of Cash & Points and Nights & Flights awards
Care providing more info or a link? I am a SPG fan myself. It is my primary card
Sorry I missed this earlier.

You can find details about both Cash & Points and Nights & Flights here on Starwood's web site and various threads here on FT, but here are the basics:

Cash & Points lets you get a category 3 for 2800 Starpoints + $45, a category 4 for 4000 Starpoints + $60, or a category 5 for 4800 Starpoints + $90. Not all hotels have Cash & Points availability (most don't), but it's usually a fantastic deal when they do. I've picked up $200-$300/night hotels for 4k Starpoints + $60 / night.

Nights & Flights essentially lets you combine a category 3 or 4 "Fifth Night Free" award redemption with a 50k mile airline mile redemption, but saving either 8k or 10k depending on the category level. It's 60k Starpoints for category 3 (28k + 40k if redeemed separately) or 70k Starpoints for category 4 (40k + 40k if redeemed separately). If you were going to redeem Starpoints for miles anyway, that essentially makes the 5 night hotel stay 20k or 30k Starpoints.
Old May 13, 2009, 6:21 pm

CandymanJim,
Did you do one card each for yourself and wife or Amex&M/C for each?
At first I did the apps for aunt got the call info and was approved (amex & m/c) she's got lower income but has same # cards. After success I thought I was ok to try myself since it was well past the 60 days (approved 2/11) and then got the message that it will be processed. We'll see if I get approved for the Amex since the supervisor said "which one do you want to pursue"... I know that I'll be able to use the Amex at Costco to make the $750 purchase.
I'm OK with being put on hold since we're trying to build up DH lifetime status and he'll inherit them from Aunt (in late 90s though we're not shoveling anything).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.