Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 6, 09, 10:06 am   #841
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CMH
Posts: 890
Does anyone know the number to call to get immediate decision? My friend just applied for a card and he didn't get an instant decision. He didn't write down the phone number.

EDIT: I found the answer.

Last edited by FlyerInCmh; May 6, 09 at 11:54 am.
FlyerInCmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 09, 12:22 pm   #842
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerInCmh View Post
Does anyone know the number to call to get immediate decision? My friend just applied for a card and he didn't get an instant decision. He didn't write down the phone number.

EDIT: I found the answer.
This is the number for those that might have a need. 1-888-201-4523 which is only open 8am-8pm EST.
whynotgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 09, 3:14 pm   #843
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: SPG, AA Gold/1MM, UA, US, VX, PC
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandymanJim View Post
I personally don't do the retention thing. Personally, if I was going to spend $10k I would get 13 AA citi cards which would yield me 325k in AA miles, just a bit better than the 10k for the spending

Jim
But didn't U mention that U put $20k in spending on your business card per month? All I suggested is to get 2 miles per $, instead of 1 if U would be doing the actual spending on the card. Unless U can open 26 AA citi cards in one month to spend that $20k
friedice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 09, 4:21 pm   #844
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Modesto, CA (90 miles from any real airport)
Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Posts: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedice View Post
But didn't U mention that U put $20k in spending on your business card per month? All I suggested is to get 2 miles per $, instead of 1 if U would be doing the actual spending on the card. Unless U can open 26 AA citi cards in one month to spend that $20k :rolleyes


"An even better way to score AA miles from actual spending would be to call and try to cancel one of the personal cards. They will give a retention: 2miles per $ spent. Only good for the first $10k though. After that another call would be needed. ":
I don't churn Business cards, you suggested doing this with a personal card.

Jim
__________________
Nothing important to read here, but you read it anyway...
CandymanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 09, 4:26 pm   #845
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: SPG, AA Gold/1MM, UA, US, VX, PC
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandymanJim View Post
I don't churn Business cards, you suggested doing this with a personal card.

Jim
I didn't suggest churning, I just suggested getting more value out of spending on AA cards. But I guess nevermind.
friedice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 09, 4:58 pm   #846
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 36
Does anyone know if citi set limit on total cards I can have?

I applied 1 personal and 1 business cards online two months ago , while both of them are approved immediately. That brought my total accounts to 4. (3 personal and 1 business). Also, I lowered each CL to ~2K.

Today I just apply two additional personal cards online, but both are still in process. Then I call the number to check the status for one card, it is later approved. I am now a little hesitate if I should call again to check the other one, since that could make me the target...

I thought about closing those 4 cards I have on hand, but two of them are still waiting for statement close, while the other two are opened since 01...

Thanks
gggould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 09, 5:41 pm   #847
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ORF
Programs: Delta, AA, USairways, BA, United, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Plat , Marriott, Sixt Platinum
Posts: 730
Consolidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggould View Post
Does anyone know if citi set limit on total cards I can have?

I applied 1 personal and 1 business cards online two months ago , while both of them are approved immediately. That brought my total accounts to 4. (3 personal and 1 business). Also, I lowered each CL to ~2K.

Today I just apply two additional personal cards online, but both are still in process. Then I call the number to check the status for one card, it is later approved. I am now a little hesitate if I should call again to check the other one, since that could make me the target...

I thought about closing those 4 cards I have on hand, but two of them are still waiting for statement close, while the other two are opened since 01...

Thanks
Once you are approved, call Citi and tell them " I'd like to consolidate 2 of my personal Cards." The credit limits of both will combine for one larger credit limit.

If you are turned down, still call. they should offer. If not ask, " Can I take some of my available credit from another card , to fund this new one?" that usually works.
However, business and Personal cards can not combine.
beachmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 09, 10:27 pm   #848
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PDX
Programs: AA, DL, WN, HH
Posts: 76
inconsistent as always

Back in Jan/Feb I was approved for the business Visa, and a personal MC and Amex... those accounts have all been closed, and I'm on churn cycle two--Two weeks back I applied for the business MC and was approved (called in after applying). I applied for a personal MC and and Amex on the 5th and just received email rejection notices for both with the message:

Quote:
o It is our policy to limit the number of credit requests
that we process within a 60-day period. Our records
show that you applied for credit with us within the past
60 days.
Seems like the business and personal application times are no longer independent-- the only Citi credit app I've had in the past 90+ days is the business MC.

Thinking about what is different this time around:
-For my first cycle I didn't call in for instant approval (but I did for the business card I applied for two weeks ago)-- the rep I spoke with seemed pretty unsure of things and had to elevate the issue to a higher CSR because I had gone above her "signing ability" -- I wonder if she mucked something up.

-For the personal MC and Amex I was just rejected for I used the www.fly3. 30k bonus links, which I may not have been targeted to use, and maybe this was just a BS excuse to reject me because I wasn't eligible for those offers. I knew these two apps were going to get rejected because the application process stopped at step 3 (instead of going on to step 5 where they give you the number you can call in for an instant decision...)

I'm not sure these findings mean anything, but its just another data point to add to the mix. It seems like there have been a few reports lately of people being denied for too many apps, when they had previously been successful with the same strategy.

I'm going to work up the patience to call tomorrow and try to get a human to approve one/both of these apps, but I'm not holding my breath.
leroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 09, 5:43 am   #849
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroix View Post

Seems like the business and personal application times are no longer independent-- the only Citi credit app I've had in the past 90+ days is the business MC.
Yes, I too experienced a similar situation and a representative explained to me that they now do look at the combined number of business and personal applications within a 60 day period.
TTT103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 09, 6:51 am   #850
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTT103 View Post
Yes, I too experienced a similar situation and a representative explained to me that they now do look at the combined number of business and personal applications within a 60 day period.
My experience is contrary to the above two posts. Note that the post two above mine applied for two personal cards at the same time and was rejected for both. I have never applied for two personal cards at the same time.

In the last three weeks, I applied and received 1) Citicard Aadvantage Business Mastercard and 2) Citicard Aadvantage Personal Mastercard. I continue to use the 60+ day cycle for ONE personal card and 90+ days cycle for ONE business card.

Obviously, the current situation with Citicard is very variable and fluid.
whynotgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 09, 10:52 am   #851
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotgo View Post
My experience is contrary to the above two posts. Note that the post two above mine applied for two personal cards at the same time and was rejected for both. I have never applied for two personal cards at the same time.

In the last three weeks, I applied and received 1) Citicard Aadvantage Business Mastercard and 2) Citicard Aadvantage Personal Mastercard. I continue to use the 60+ day cycle for ONE personal card and 90+ days cycle for ONE business card.

Obviously, the current situation with Citicard is very variable and fluid.
weird. I've been with Citi for 17 years, I have 800s for credit scores, only 1 card with any kind of balance (paid off monthly) and I applied for a Citicard only to have them tell me:

1. They're reviewing my application (reviewing! I get credit instantly, no review ever)
2. I cannot apply for more than 1 card every 90 days (I only applied for one AFAIK).
bgdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 09, 12:25 pm   #852
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdc View Post
weird. I've been with Citi for 17 years, I have 800s for credit scores, only 1 card with any kind of balance (paid off monthly) and I applied for a Citicard only to have them tell me:

1. They're reviewing my application (reviewing! I get credit instantly, no review ever)
2. I cannot apply for more than 1 card every 90 days (I only applied for one AFAIK).
bgdc,

1. Application review - Get over it and take charge. Nowadays, I never get instant approval, lack of instant approval means nothing. Upon notice of approval review, either wait two days (approval may come automatically, btw, do not forget to check the box for email notification of application review) or call immediately and speak to a customer service representative (csr). Ask about your application, do not accept any negative response from a CSR. If they are turning you down, they will send an email and or letter with the credit agency. Get the report and review- you likely have no bad items. Call back to Citibank and inquire why you were turned down with a good credit report. If CSR is negative about opening new card, respectfully ask to speak to a supervisor (no CSR has ever approved my application after an initial denial) only supervisors make that decision.

2. 90 days?? - Specifically, what card did you apply for? Likely it was a business and they are on a 90+ day application cycle.

Obviously, this whole situation is highly different for each person.
whynotgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 09, 1:14 pm   #853
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotgo View Post
bgdc,

1. Application review - Get over it and take charge. Nowadays, I never get instant approval, lack of instant approval means nothing. Upon notice of approval review, either wait two days (approval may come automatically, btw, do not forget to check the box for email notification of application review) or call immediately and speak to a customer service representative (csr). Ask about your application, do not accept any negative response from a CSR. If they are turning you down, they will send an email and or letter with the credit agency. Get the report and review- you likely have no bad items. Call back to Citibank and inquire why you were turned down with a good credit report. If CSR is negative about opening new card, respectfully ask to speak to a supervisor (no CSR has ever approved my application after an initial denial) only supervisors make that decision.

2. 90 days?? - Specifically, what card did you apply for? Likely it was a business and they are on a 90+ day application cycle.

Obviously, this whole situation is highly different for each person.

Thanks. I already called and got it settled. It was a biz card and no I hadn't applied for one before.
bgdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 09, 1:58 pm   #854
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: SPG, AA Gold/1MM, UA, US, VX, PC
Posts: 294
What to do?

So I usually churn 2 personal AA cards every 60days without bothering with the business card. Last round was on March 14. This time it will be on May 22nd. However, this time I wanna take opportunity and capitalize on the 30k sign up bonus and try to sign up for business as well. I already have a business MC card. Should I close it before attempting that? Should I even attempt it in the first place? Applying for 2 personal cards was pretty smooth so far and I guess I was under the radar. I don't wanna trigger any reviews of my tax returns or anything like that and possibly mess up the process for myself in the future. Also, the fact that people are now reporting being denied for business due to opening personal cards is a little alarming. In case the business app gets declined, it will probably won't result in a hard pull, it will just be due to their 90 day policy. So what do I do? Play it safe and just go for 60k, or be a little greedy and risky and go for 90k?
friedice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 09, 2:12 pm   #855
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CMH
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedice View Post
So I usually churn 2 personal AA cards every 60days without bothering with the business card. Last round was on March 14. This time it will be on May 22nd. However, this time I wanna take opportunity and capitalize on the 30k sign up bonus and try to sign up for business as well. I already have a business MC card. Should I close it before attempting that? Should I even attempt it in the first place? Applying for 2 personal cards was pretty smooth so far and I guess I was under the radar. I don't wanna trigger any reviews of my tax returns or anything like that and possibly mess up the process for myself in the future. Also, the fact that people are now reporting being denied for business due to opening personal cards is a little alarming. In case the business app gets declined, it will probably won't result in a hard pull, it will just be due to their 90 day policy. So what do I do? Play it safe and just go for 60k, or be a little greedy and risky and go for 90k?
I want to do this as well. I have a question for you... do you apply for the personal cards both at the same time? In other words, do you submit one application and the next one right after, or do you wait for a few hours/days?
FlyerInCmh is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 am.