Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citicards 60 day/ one application policy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:15 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by veggie_lover
I would not bother getting a business card. It's just a waste, since you can only apply for that every 90 days. Just do the two personal cards every 60 days and you'll be fine. Remember you are only allowed 6 hard credit pull inquiries every
six months.
You know, I was actually just speaking with the application department at Citi. Their computer might outright decline your application if you have more than 6 inquiries on your report, however, if you speak to the representative about it, they actually treat all Citibank pulls in a short period of time as one pull (sorry, didn't get the exact figure that defines 'short period of time'). So, although your credit file will show a bunch of citibank pulls and their computer system might reject you, just call the phone number and the application will be put back in to be processed. At any rate, it happened to me, I called the application number, told the CSR that all these inquiries were from citibank, and in fact they had screwed up by running an inquiry on me before, but, not actually running an application (see this thread). That is when the guy said that 'the computer program they run is not the best and should not be rejecting those for 'too many inquiries' if they are all from citibank'. He then reactivated my application and said it would be kicked up to the the final approval stage which is handled by a real human in the credit department.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA, USAir
60 days from....

I read this post from start, and my understanding is that 2 cards every 60 days from "approval" date, and maybe an extra day or two.

Just applied 2 M/C for my wife and received two emails that it was declined due to the 60-day policy.

Here is the brief history of her account:
1) MC applied on 2/8/09. Approved 2/8/09 (instant). Activated 2/11/09.
2) Amex applied on 2/12/09. Approved 2/14/09. Activated 2/19/09.
3) Bus Visa applied on 3/7/09. Approved 3/9/09. Activated 3/14/09.
4) MC gold & plat applied on 4/20/09. Both rejected 4/22/09. (She had an offer for 25k mile for a gold card).

Even including the short February month, she should have been ready on 4/15/09. Just to be sure, I waited 5 days extra.

Can anyone decipher what may have gone wrong

The only thing that I can think of is the activation date, since the Bus card should not come into play.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by CandymanJim
But where is this 6 pull limit coming from, Citi pulls only? Have others had this restriction? How do they know this is the reason for rejection?
Jim
Arbitrary... Talk to different people, different departments, different days and you'll get different answers...

Originally Posted by jimbaum
I read this post from start, and my understanding is that 2 cards every 60 days from "approval" date, and maybe an extra day or two.

Just applied 2 M/C for my wife and received two emails that it was declined due to the 60-day policy.

4) MC gold & plat applied on 4/20/09. Both rejected 4/22/09. (She had an offer for 25k mile for a gold card).

Even including the short February month, she should have been ready on 4/15/09. Just to be sure, I waited 5 days extra.

The only thing that I can think of is the activation date, since the Bus card should not come into play.
you should have waited a couple of extra days... 63 days or something, to be safe... Nothing is written in stone when it comes to citi's policies...
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM

Was there a 'reason' given for why you were rejected?

Also, as per a post, pretty much right before yours -- rather right before yours (you did read this 'post from start' right?) it was eluded to (granted not said explicitly) that many 'instant rejections' come from a computer program.

If you think your application was wrongfully declined (again, what was the reason you were declined?) then call up their 800 application-status-number and state your case. In the least they will re-instate the application and kick it up to the credit department for a 'human' to evaluate. Not that you'll necessarily get a different result, however, you might.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 5:05 am

Programs: AA, USAir
Originally Posted by technique

you should have waited a couple of extra days... 63 days or something, to be safe... Nothing is written in stone when it comes to citi's policies...
That was my question - I waited 65 days from APPROVAL date. Should I have waited a few days from when I ACTIVATED the card?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 5:41 am

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
That was my question - I waited 65 days from APPROVAL date. Should I have waited a few days from when I ACTIVATED the card?
Jimbaum,

Call Citicard and ask about the rejection. See if they were not following their own guideline or made another error.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 6:34 am

Ah, yes, I see now... Hmmm, that is strange, because I believe the policy and people's experiences have been from the APPLICATION date, not the approval date and certainly not the activation date...

Call up citi, maybe they just screwed up... (highly likely)
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: Hilton gold
I applied for my first account 4 weeks ago and after reading this thread applied for the second account yesterday.Both were instant approvals.Original account was the gold mc and yesterday i wanted to apply for the plat mc.Citi gave me a new gold mc with a higher limit.Wonder if Ill get the miles for the second account if they are the same type.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by jim5518
I applied for my first account 4 weeks ago and after reading this thread applied for the second account yesterday.Both were instant approvals.Original account was the gold mc and yesterday i wanted to apply for the plat mc.Citi gave me a new gold mc with a higher limit.Wonder if Ill get the miles for the second account if they are the same type.
Did you really read the thread like you said you did?

Yes, you will get the miles if you met/meet the criteria
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: Hilton gold
Did you really read the thread like you said you did?

Yes, you will get the miles if you met/meet the criteria
Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2009, 6:37 pm

Applied for 3 citi AA cards today:

Personal MC
Personal Amex
Biz MC

Got 1 pull on equifax (personal MC and personal amex)
Got 1 pull on experian (business MC)

For the record, this is the first time ever that 2 applications only resulted in 1 pull on equifax, usually I get 2 pulls.

I applied for all 3 cards at the same time. All 3 are pending approval.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Surprised this has not been posted in this thread. CITI now is giving 30K miles. Discussion is in the AA forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-citi-mc.html
Old Apr 25, 2009, 6:58 am

You mean like in post #749? Never doubt the Candyman!

Just got an email from AA promoting the Citibank card and 30k bonus with the standard fare:
Old Apr 27, 2009, 1:07 pm

I had an interesting situation occur today. I've been successful with the two personal cards every 60 days and the one business card every 90 days. However, I was denied a personal card today even though I was 65 days out from my last personal application. I spoke to a very knowledgeable representative who informed me that they are now considering business applications as part of the two card personal card cycle. Although you can only apply for one business card every 90 days, you can not apply for more than one personal card every 60 days, if you also applied for a business card within the past 60 days. What this means is one business card every 90 days and one personal card every 60 days. Given that my application was declined today, I will need to wait 60 days from todays date to re-apply for a personal card.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
...I spoke to a very knowledgeable representative who informed me that they are now considering business applications as part of the two card personal card cycle. Although you can only apply for one business card every 90 days, you can not apply for more than one personal card every 60 days, if you also applied for a business card within the past 60 days. What this means is one business card every 90 days and one personal card every 60 days...
I applied for a business card 3/5, an MC on 3/21 and an AmEx on 3/31. No problem with any of these.

If it's relevant, my previous apps were MC 1/17, AmEx 1/27.

So whatever story the rep gave you did not apply in my case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.