Citicards 60 day/ one application policy

Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Interesting, I have not heard this before, when we could get 3 cards every 60 days it wasn't a problem either. My commercial loans are still run against my personal credit to make sure I am personally financially sound before loaning me money for commercial uses.

Jim

Last edited by CandymanJim; Mar 19, 2009 at 12:14 pm
Old Mar 19, 2009, 2:23 pm

I have a questions, maybe dumb but anyways, so when you get a new card after 60/90 days, what do u do with the old one? do you cancel it or consolidtae the credit line? does it affect credit score?
thanks
Old Mar 19, 2009, 2:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
I use the online features at accountonline dot com and monitor my activity. I use this to make sure I hit the $750. After hitting the $750, I then look to the closing date. Once the statement has closed, I then check my AA statement online to confirm my bonus has posted. Once the bonus has posted, I usually go back to Citi online and pay off the card online. At the same time I fire off a written letter cancelling the card. This usually all happens before the paper statement shows up in my mailbox. As far as I can tell, this has/had no/little effect on my credit score.

Jim
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
? Some of you all have been able to pull the trigger on 3 cards every 90 days but I havent been able to hit that. couple of days ago i applied for a citi biz card and got instantly approved didnt get a chance to put in a personal card at the same time because got a call at work. so 3 days later i ended up putting in a personal card app (hadnt applied for a personal card in over a year) for a citi aa ax and didnt get instant approval but a wait and see. then the two days later they start calling me but im at work so i ignore the calls. Then checking my email i have a email from citi saying i was rejected because of "Too few satisfactory credit references were recorded on
your credit bureau report." the pulled a EX report for the app. only problem is I dont have any late pays or any dings and all the loans listed on my report are paid off and closed and in many cases months or years before they were supposed to finish.

Is it just the AX cards or am i running up againist something else thats messing me up. some help understanding this would be appreciated

Then looking at soft pulls is it common for a CC company to do a soft pull every month? because i have a discover card that has had a 0 balance for 6 months and ever since then its just been a inquire/soft pull every month. is this messing up my chances at getting personal citi cards as i havent had any problems with the biz cards.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I applied online for a Citi Business Visa Card on March 5 and no answer yet! I have called twice and they told me it is still in "processing". This is the first time it takes so long to get approved! And the responses on the phone have been clueless "not sure why, they are still checking, it is not your fault something was wrong on our end at application time, etc."

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
? Some of you all have been able to pull the trigger on 3 cards every 90 days but I havent been able to hit that. couple of days ago i applied for a citi biz card and got instantly approved didnt get a chance to put in a personal card at the same time because got a call at work. so 3 days later i ended up putting in a personal card app (hadnt applied for a personal card in over a year) for a citi aa ax and didnt get instant approval but a wait and see. then the two days later they start calling me but im at work so i ignore the calls. Then checking my email i have a email from citi saying i was rejected because of "Too few satisfactory credit references were recorded on
your credit bureau report." the pulled a EX report for the app. only problem is I dont have any late pays or any dings and all the loans listed on my report are paid off and closed and in many cases months or years before they were supposed to finish.

Is it just the AX cards or am i running up againist something else thats messing me up. some help understanding this would be appreciated

Then looking at soft pulls is it common for a CC company to do a soft pull every month? because i have a discover card that has had a 0 balance for 6 months and ever since then its just been a inquire/soft pull every month. is this messing up my chances at getting personal citi cards as i havent had any problems with the biz cards.
Have you thought about picking up the phone and calling them? Citi wants you to have their card, but unless you can convince them of issues on your CR, they will go with what they have. If you wouldnt take their call when THEY tried to ask you about potential issues, why wouldnt they decline you?

Jim
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:49 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by forextrader
Does not seem right to me - I would get a copy of your credit report and see which agency Citi is pulling and how many inquires you have had.

Rule with Citi is that if you have had 7 inquires in the past 6 months then the new Citi inquiry becomes number 8 - and this will cause a rejection for "too many inquiries".

So the only way I can see a BofA card affecting your ability to get CITI cards is if this is causing you to have too many inquires overall.

Privacy Guard give you all 3 agencies, 60 days for $1 - well worth checking
Maybe there was one other I'm not remembering...? 2+2+2 in approx. six months with Citi, plus the one with BofA (and perhaps there was one more which made the last Citi inquiry #8). (All that counting is reminding me of Clue... One plus two plus one plus one...)
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Ambassador Club,Delta FF,USAIR FF
Citi- Business consolidations

Called to get 2 business cards consolidated. Same name etc. At current, Citi is not doing ANY consolidations on business cards. I tried 2 different reps - just to see if same answer.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:38 pm

(and applying for 2 cards every 60 days rather than 1 every 30 days - cuts down the inquires from 2 to only 1).
So if you apply for an MC and an Amex card on the same day, it counts as one inquiry?

So one could do MC+Amex (personal) every two months, and a business card every three months, total eight cards in three months, and end up with only three inquiries in six months?
Old Mar 21, 2009, 2:36 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Originally Posted by kalia960
So if you apply for an MC and an Amex card on the same day, it counts as one inquiry?

So one could do MC+Amex (personal) every two months, and a business card every three months, total eight cards in three months, and end up with only three inquiries in six months?
You would have FIVE inquiries: 3 from the 6 personal cards and 2 from the 2 business cards.

Most of the time the 2 personal cards applying on same day gets only 1 inquiry - but recently for my wife, it did show up as 2 inquiries for the 2 personal cards - but I believe this was more the exception rather than the rule.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Have you thought about picking up the phone and calling them? Citi wants you to have their card, but unless you can convince them of issues on your CR, they will go with what they have. If you wouldnt take their call when THEY tried to ask you about potential issues, why wouldnt they decline you?

Jim
Jim

I did call them back the day after i posted this. I initially didn't answer the calls because I was transporting patients when they called and at the time both patients conditions didnt allow me to pick up the phone. When i picked up the phone and called them I got connected to a ICC where the representatives english was very hard to understand and i got the same answer as the email which was "to few satisfactory credit references on my credit report" and they pulled it from experian.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
You would have FIVE inquiries: 3 from the 6 personal cards and 2 from the 2 business cards.

Most of the time the 2 personal cards applying on same day gets only 1 inquiry - but recently for my wife, it did show up as 2 inquiries for the 2 personal cards - but I believe this was more the exception rather than the rule.
I used to apply two cards at same time (less than one minute apart), and always got TWO inquiries. never once they only pulled one for two cards.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by kirkpt
Called to get 2 business cards consolidated. Same name etc. At current, Citi is not doing ANY consolidations on business cards. I tried 2 different reps - just to see if same answer.
true and they are not transfering credit lines either.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
Jim

I did call them back the day after i posted this. I initially didn't answer the calls because I was transporting patients when they called and at the time both patients conditions didnt allow me to pick up the phone. When i picked up the phone and called them I got connected to a ICC where the representatives english was very hard to understand and i got the same answer as the email which was "to few satisfactory credit references on my credit report" and they pulled it from experian.
If you are ever denied a card from Citi, I highly recommend you call and speak to someone there. Many times the automated system will reject an application. While speaking with a CSR you will find they really do want you to have their card and will try and find a way to get you one.

Jim
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mingw
I used to apply two cards at same time (less than one minute apart), and always got TWO inquiries. never once they only pulled one for two cards.

Same here. After I had that happen a couple of times, I just started applying for one card each 30 plus days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.