Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citicards 60 day/ one application policy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2008, 1:55 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Thanks for the info. I rarely open new accounts (actually need to open a Diners card tonight as I've maxed out my Citi MC miles earning for 2008 already) but was considering taking advantage of the current Citi/AA sign up promotions. If you guys are signing up for dozens of cards (or more) per year, I shouldn't get hurt too badly for opening a couple. My credit score is around 800, so I'm probably fine.

I don' think one card will make a dent, like I said, I have "pages" of cards from last year and it had no adverse issues. In fact I was worried about getting a 7 figure loan and the agent didnt even ask about the cards. My experience has been that if you do explain it to a lender, they are intrigued by the whole process.

Jim
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Running the system is quite easy, keep it simple. All the links that I use are expired, and they work everytime.

Here is how to do it, it is clean and simple. I only use the AA Citi MC or Visa depending on the offer I want to use. I used the business card, but it was too much trouble and I like to keep it simple.

Get 2 cards to start. Start using one until you hit the $250 (register your cards at Citi online to track spending and whether it has been cancelled) , then put it away in a drawer. Then start using card #2. By the time I hit the $250 I have gotten a statement and miles from number one. Send in a letter to Citi to cancel #1. Apply for #3. By the time #3 shows up, #1 has been cancelled, #2 has hit $250 and is in the drawer. and I just continue this cycle. It is clean and simple and does not require much effort. I do this for both my wife and I and could easily do 2 cards each per month if I really tried. That would be 80k/mo or 960k/yr. I only did about 600k between the two of us last year. I can't see why anyone would hassle with a $750 offer or even putting 10k on a card to get the extra bonus. $750 in spending is worth 60k to me, 10k in spending? thats worth 800k in AAmiles to me...

Jim
I thought that you could only apply for one personal card every 60 days? I tried applying for two M/C's within a 60 day period a received a letter indicating that I may only apply for one card in a 60 day period? I know the business M/C limits you to every 90 days. ???????
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.9MM
Within one 60 day period you can apply for 1 MC + 1 Visa + 1 Amex
Old Jan 28, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by TTT103
I thought that you could only apply for one personal card every 60 days? I tried applying for two M/C's within a 60 day period a received a letter indicating that I may only apply for one card in a 60 day period? I know the business M/C limits you to every 90 days. ???????

My personal experience is that you can apply for any 3 personal cards during a 60 day period. I usually just rotate the 3 M/C cards.

Jim
Old Jan 30, 2008, 5:20 am

Thank you for the clarification.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by TTT103
Also, a common misconception is that Citi will only let you have 3 cards since that is what they limit you to during a 60 day period. They will allow more than 3 if you ask them. I actually had them call when a 4th aplication was out prior to them cancelling one of my other cards. They offered to reduce the limit on one of the cards to make room in the credit limits for a 4th card. Needless to say, I did it as I only need a $250+ limit anyway.

They do enforce the 3 apps in 60 days.

Jim
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Also, a common misconception is that Citi will only let you have 3 cards since that is what they limit you to during a 60 day period. They will allow more than 3 if you ask them. I actually had them call when a 4th aplication was out prior to them cancelling one of my other cards. They offered to reduce the limit on one of the cards to make room in the credit limits for a 4th card. Needless to say, I did it as I only need a $250+ limit anyway.

Jim
I have run into this a few times, however, the minimum credit line they allow me to do is $2000... So I have to pull $2,000 from another card... I asked then for the $250 line of credit and they said "sorry, $2000 is the minimum"... Maybe this $2000 minimum is new? Or maybe the rep was just wrong... I dunno...
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA 1MM
Originally Posted by technique
I have run into this a few times, however, the minimum credit line they allow me to do is $2000... So I have to pull $2,000 from another card... I asked then for the $250 line of credit and they said "sorry, $2000 is the minimum"... Maybe this $2000 minimum is new? Or maybe the rep was just wrong... I dunno...
For low level cards, it could be as low as 500, but for world mastercard such as AA mastercard or PPE, the low limit is 2K and for citi amex plat the low limit is 8K.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by PDX_Roy
Within one 60 day period you can apply for 1 MC + 1 Visa + 1 Amex
Different rules for everyone. I used to get more than that in 60 days till I got rejected once. Ever since its been one per 60 days.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:30 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by curious_miles
For low level cards, it could be as low as 500, but for world mastercard such as AA mastercard or PPE, the low limit is 2K and for citi amex plat the low limit is 8K.
Hmmm, good info. Thanks! ^

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Different rules for everyone. I used to get more than that in 60 days till I got rejected once. Ever since its been one per 60 days.
Why did you get rejected?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Oh, that's not good, I wonder if there was some flags on your account that led to this, such as lots of applications during a certain period. Do you have nay insight to what may have caused this? I certainly dont want this restriction.

A friend of mine turns in like 6 apps each time and gets the 3 approved and the other 3 denied due to the 3 apps in 60 day restriction.

Jim
Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.9MM
I received a letter rejecting my application for a Citi Visa today. In the past 60 days I have been approved for a Citi Amex and Citi MC.

"It is our policy to limit the number of credit requests that we process within a 60-day period. Our records show that you applied for credit with us within the past 60 days."

So for me the limit is 6 MCs/yr and 6 Amex/yr and 4 Business cards/yr.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jim
Dont know if you mean 4 AA cards or 4 all Citicards. The highest number I have had active accounts with Citi has been 7 cards - 6 personal 1 business in disguise (Citi Pro). I have not tried more than 7. Most of the time I have between 4 to 5.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Just curious, do DC cards count as Citi cards as far as the number of cards you can apply for or hold during the same period?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:14 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Just curious, do DC cards count as Citi cards as far as the number of cards you can apply for or hold during the same period?
I believe DC is totally separate from the rest of Citi's cards, so I don't think it would count.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.