Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citicards 60 day/ one application policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2008, 3:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Here is my favorite, it also gets you a companion certificate AND a $50 off AA cert. Never been able to use any of the certs as they are pretty restricted.

Jim

http://citi.bridgetrack.com/usc/06/m...B44B0D1B749652
Old Mar 24, 2008, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by technique
Ya, they just reopened everything, so it's as if they were never closed... It was not easy...
Glad to hear it worked out in your favor. Did they offer any kind of explanation? I admit, when I read that they shut you down completely, I backed off. I don't care what they do with any of my churn cards, but I've had one since '01 that has a nice spending limit - it's taken me several years to get it to this point, and I'd hate to lose it.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by singlemalt
Glad to hear it worked out in your favor. Did they offer any kind of explanation? I admit, when I read that they shut you down completely, I backed off. I don't care what they do with any of my churn cards, but I've had one since '01 that has a nice spending limit - it's taken me several years to get it to this point, and I'd hate to lose it.
Their explanation why I was shut down kept changing... Which is why I was suspicious/upset... Finally, when I got the 2 higher-level people at the end, they said "We don't agree with any of the reasoning given for closing your accounts". Which was nice to hear... I even got a followup call today reminding me that my accounts are open again and I can start using them

Honestly, I'm still a bit "skittish" about using my cards... I'm going to wait a while as the last thing I want is for them to be shut down again and look like a deadbeat... I have about $30k of purchases to make this month, but I'll just use my BofA card for that...
Old Mar 24, 2008, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Here is my favorite, it also gets you a companion certificate AND a $50 off AA cert. Never been able to use any of the certs as they are pretty restricted.

Jim

http://citi.bridgetrack.com/usc/06/m...B44B0D1B749652
Thanks, Jim. I like this one. My 60 days are up tomorrow. Except, it is a leap year isn't it? I better check my calendar again.

Phil
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
My 60 days are up tomorrow. Except, it is a leap year isn't it? I better check my calendar again. l
SImple way: I just set up a spreadsheet (in my case, using MS Works, but I would think this should we just about any spreadsheet program). In one column, I have the date I applied. In the next column, I have "=D4+60" (if D4 is the cell to the left), with the format set to date, and that automatically displays the date of 60 days past that.

However, in my case I plan to add a couple days of padding for a couple reasons. One, I'm on the west coast, and I submit an app online in the evening, so do they count it as that day or the next (and thus is it 60 days from that day or the next)? And if I submit an app on a weekend, do they count the 60 days from then or from the next business day? Etc.

But it doesn't matter to me, as I prefer to make my apps on a particular day of week that's convenient for me. And 60 days is 8 and a half weeks, so by making my apps on the same day of the week each time, i automatically get a few days padding that takes care of all the possible reasons for "calendar rounding" problems theorized above.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
SImple way: I just set up a spreadsheet (in my case, using MS Works, but I would think this should we just about any spreadsheet program). In one column, I have the date I applied. In the next column, I have "=D4+60" (if D4 is the cell to the left), with the format set to date, and that automatically displays the date of 60 days past that.

However, in my case I plan to add a couple days of padding for a couple reasons. One, I'm on the west coast, and I submit an app online in the evening, so do they count it as that day or the next (and thus is it 60 days from that day or the next)? And if I submit an app on a weekend, do they count the 60 days from then or from the next business day? Etc.

But it doesn't matter to me, as I prefer to make my apps on a particular day of week that's convenient for me. And 60 days is 8 and a half weeks, so by making my apps on the same day of the week each time, i automatically get a few days padding that takes care of all the possible reasons for "calendar rounding" problems theorized above.
I ended up doing the same thing with the spreadsheet. By not doing this I had an opportunity cost of 80k in bonus points since I do the application for my wife and I at the same time and was too quick on the draw twice. I did not know that when you are early, and are denied due to too many (3) apps in 60 days, that the denial resets the 60 day clock. So my 59 day applications now have to wait another 60 days.

Jim
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:02 am

OK, an update as to the 60 day rule. A friend and myself have been documenting Citi's rules and have proven a couple of points that Citi enforces

I applied and was approved for:

Citi MC $250 1/14/08
Citi MC $750 1/22/08
Citi MC $750 2/4/08

Card were used and sebseqently cancelled after the miles posted

I applied for a new card on 3/14/08 and was denied since the 3 cards were technically already applied for within 60 days (about 58).

I tried again on 3/17/08 which was more than 60 days from the 1/14 but not the 1/22/08 card, and was denied again since they said it was still within 60 days of my applications. I called and asked when I would be eligible again to apply and was told 4/4/08.

This means that applications, even denied are counted in the 60 day mix. So, essentially, I can apply on 4/4/08 and then 60 days from my denied applications. I was suspecting Citi was limiting the 3 apps in 60 days issue, but I was able to compare notes with a friend and we both had simular experiences. He says now by watching his dates, he is still able to get his 3 in 60 days.

So, be aware when you apply as to the dates you applied and the dates of approval or denial.

Jim
Jim: I wonder if this "60 day reset" is because you are only applying for personal MC products?

I know that the business card has its own 90 day timer...

I'm curious if Amex and Visa cards are on their own 60-day clock? Thoughts?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:27 am

Jim: I wonder if this "60 day reset" is because you are only applying for personal MC products?

I know that the business card has its own 90 day timer...

I'm curious if Amex and Visa cards are on their own 60-day clock? Thoughts?

I am pretty sure the 60 days is a personal Citibank restriction, no matter which card you apply for.

Jim
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:57 am

I am pretty sure the 60 days is a personal Citibank restriction, no matter which card you apply for.

Jim
So the counter starts after your 3rd application?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:46 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
So the counter starts after your 3rd application?
That was about my quesiton. So the pattern is, apply for 3 cards a little time apart (week?), then wait 60 days after the 3rd card? Then you can only apply in 60 day cycles after that, for one card only?

I received a $750/25k card, and have already spent the $750 in valid purchases and have paid off the card, so I'm guess I'm in a holding pattern for the 25k to post. Going by the above logic, that leaves two more cards, then wait 60 days for #4, then repeat?

Thanks!

Steve B.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:12 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
I have always stuck to the 2 applications in a 60 day period rule (in fact once I did do 3, and it was accepted, but I considered myself lucky and dont want to press it over the 2 per 60 day period).

Business cards are a bit different - only 1 every 90 days AND (this seems new) you need to make sure the 1st card is closed BEFORE you apply for the next new one. My wife was rejected last week (1st time) for already having a business card for the named business

Last edited by forextrader; Mar 26, 2008 at 9:49 am
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:31 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Using the above logic, would it work to just do an app every 1st week of the month?

Steve B.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
This is way too hard. Just do two (or three if you wish) apps in ONE day and then repeat in 60/61 days. Simple? One advantage of this system is that Citi will only pull your credit report once every 60/61 days, not twice (or three times).

Phil
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:53 am

BTW, Jim... Citibank reopened all my cards... I have a Visa with a $250 spend that is about to statement cycle and I spend > $250 so I'll let you know if the bonus posts right away or not... I'll check my PDF statement too to check if the bonus 20k miles appear on the statement as being sent to citi...
btw, spend miles and bonus miles appeared on statement and both posted next day...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
This is way too hard. Just do two (or three if you wish) apps in ONE day and then repeat in 60/61 days. Simple? One advantage of this system is that Citi will only pull your credit report once every 60/61 days, not twice (or three times).

Phil
Citi will pull a report for each application even if they are submitted on the same day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.