Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA $750 for Bonus Miles

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 2:13 pm

Question.
The T&C for the card indicates that this bonus is for a new Citi/AA account. I thought this implied that it was one time/person. Do they actually mean the bonus will apply per application of a new account?

Also, if the no annual fee applies to the first year, could I potentially apply for a card this month, cancel Apr. 09; apply June 08, cancel May 09; apply Jul 08, cancel June 09; etc and never incur an annual fee?
Old May 16, 2008, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerX
Question.
The T&C for the card indicates that this bonus is for a new Citi/AA account. I thought this implied that it was one time/person. Do they actually mean the bonus will apply per application of a new account?

Also, if the no annual fee applies to the first year, could I potentially apply for a card this month, cancel Apr. 09; apply June 08, cancel May 09; apply Jul 08, cancel June 09; etc and never incur an annual fee?
You can apply and cancel each year so you would never pay an annual fee - that is as long as they have an offer of the no annual fee.

However, you do need to read the thread on how often you can apply and the total number of cards that Citi will allow.
Old May 16, 2008, 7:52 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by rrgg
A warning about churning fast:

In the past month or two, I've seen a number of people reporting that Citi closed ALL of their multiple credit card accounts. At first the reason seemed to be people had done large balance transfers many times. Later, in other cases there were no balance transfers at all, just churning. At least one person said he only had AA cards.

Citi told one person the reason was too many credit inquiries on his report. They said they expected to see 5 per year, and he had 13.

I don't know if it's a coincidence, but Citi has also been restructuring their management lately.
They are starting to decline applications for lousy reasons.
Here is one:

"We have recently opened an account for you. This includes any of your accounts issued by Citibank (South Dakota), N.A. such as Visa, MasterCard, store cards, or gas cards. We invite you to apply again after your account has been open for at least a year."

This was outside the 60-days and no other card of the same flavor (AmEx).
Old May 17, 2008, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Uh, yea, look around these threads there is significant discussions on this subject. I see you haven't been repremanded yet about your publically stating these facts as some will say you are killing the golden goose.

Jim
IMO, it's the people that took this to the extreme that ruined it for everyone.

The bubble is in the process of bursting, surprise, surprise....
Old May 17, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL
details of new cards

Hi -

I have a couple questions for those out there who know more about the AA Citi Cards with signup bonuses. I recently applied for a MasterCard, but I can also get the 25K bonus for the AmEx, correct? I can do this even while I still have a MasterCard? I ask because on the Citi Page I am offered 5K for signing up for an AmEx, but I would guess that is a different offer.

Also, does anyone have a link to a Visa with an AA miles bonus? Someone I think mentioned that in a previous post, but I wasn't able to find a link.
Old May 17, 2008, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by robbert
They are starting to decline applications for lousy reasons.
Here is one:

"We have recently opened an account for you. This includes any of your accounts issued by Citibank (South Dakota), N.A. such as Visa, MasterCard, store cards, or gas cards. We invite you to apply again after your account has been open for at least a year."

This was outside the 60-days and no other card of the same flavor (AmEx).
It is an interesting difference between Chase and Citbank.

Chase will issue you additional cards, but decline the bonus miles. Citibank is refusing to issue new cards.
Old May 17, 2008, 6:33 pm

Didn't get bonus twice on chase united??

I got the 20k bonus on a chase united business card last dec.
But when I got the personal card and even spent $250 on it I was told I already got a bonus last Dec. That's not fair in my opinion after spending $250.
I called and they said they would give me 1,000 miles. I took it and will cancel after it posts.
Has anyone gotten a bonus twice once for personal and once for business card on chase united?
D.
Old May 17, 2008, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by discoboy
Has anyone gotten a bonus twice once for personal and once for business card on chase united?
D.
Yes.
Old May 18, 2008, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fawxer
Hi -

I have a couple questions for those out there who know more about the AA Citi Cards with signup bonuses. I recently applied for a MasterCard, but I can also get the 25K bonus for the AmEx, correct? I can do this even while I still have a MasterCard? I ask because on the Citi Page I am offered 5K for signing up for an AmEx, but I would guess that is a different offer.

Also, does anyone have a link to a Visa with an AA miles bonus? Someone I think mentioned that in a previous post, but I wasn't able to find a link.
First, welcome to FlyerTalk, Fawxer!

Not sure where you're finding only 5K, but the most "official" link I know of for AA MC/Amex cards (besides looking them up right at Citi's site) is:

http://miles.citicards.com

And there all I see is 25000. (And that's, at least to date, what everyone has gotten, even if they previously had AA Citi cards of various kinds.)

Meanwhile, some good news and some bad news: The link for the Visa still works (and in "irrelevant garbage removed from URL" form is:

http://citi.bridgetrack.com/usc/06/m...A/VisaPage/Q4/

), but while the deadline has been extended to Dec 31, and the bonus miles have stayed at 20000, the page has been updated to now say it's $750 minimum spend (it used to be $250 before the deadline got extended).

So what I don't know of any more is a link to get 20000 on the Visa with only $250 spend.

Meanwhile, there may be a limit on how often you can apply for these cards. Some get 1 every 60 days, others still 2 every 60 days, not sure if anyone is getting 3 every 60 days any more. (These are personal cards; business cards are on a different cycle.) See (especially the last few pages of) the "60 day" thread for more on this.
Old May 18, 2008, 8:02 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL
Sdsearch-

Thanks for the info.

The 5K offer I saw was after signing out of my online banking site at Citi.

I'm not enormously concerned about the 60-day rule, because I'm not rushing this.

But just so I'm absolutely clear, I can get the 25K bonus for the AmEx while I still have the MC, correct? I don't have to cancel the MC before I sign up for the AmEx to get the bonus?

Thanks again...

Last edited by Fawxer; May 18, 2008 at 9:24 am
Old May 18, 2008, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Fawxer
Sdsearch-

Thanks for the info.

The 5K offer I saw was after signing out of my online banking site at Citi.

I'm not enormously concerned about the 60-day rule, because I'm not rushing this.

But just so I'm absolutely clear, I can get the 25K bonus for the AmEx while I still have the MC, correct? I don't have to cancel the MC before I sign up for the AmEx to get the bonus?

Thanks again...
Yes, you can get 25K AMEX while having the MC.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Meanwhile, some good news and some bad news: The link for the Visa still works (and in "irrelevant garbage removed from URL" form is:

http://citi.bridgetrack.com/usc/06/m...A/VisaPage/Q4/

), but while the deadline has been extended to Dec 31, and the bonus miles have stayed at 20000, the page has been updated to now say it's $750 minimum spend (it used to be $250 before the deadline got extended).

So what I don't know of any more is a link to get 20000 on the Visa with only $250 spend.
Has anyone found a working link for the spend $250/get 20K miles offer?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 4:31 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
I can't find in the thread how long after spending $750 and closing the statement it will take to see 25k miles on AA. Can someone help?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by al613
I can't find in the thread how long after spending $750 and closing the statement it will take to see 25k miles on AA. Can someone help?
The bonus miles should show on the statement that closes after you've met the $750 requirement. It usually takes a day or two for it to show up on AA.com
Old Aug 11, 2008, 5:14 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by FlyerInCmh
The bonus miles should show on the statement that closes after you've met the $750 requirement. It usually takes a day or two for it to show up on AA.com
For some reason on Citi website it says: " Visit www.aa.com to view your current American Airlines AAdvantageŽ mileage activity. Just use your AAdvantageŽ number and password to login to your account."
There is no sign of miles on AA website. It's 4 days after statement closed. Is it common?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.