Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Driver's Edge "Charter" Member

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2007, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Citi Driver's Edge "Charter" Member

Is anyone here a Citi Driver’s Edge Platinum Select MasterCard Charter cardholder?

Out of the blue, I just got sent a new card with a new design – black with neon speedometer. The MasterCard logo is on the front, with the hologram on the rear --- as does my Dividend.

I have been a holder of this product since 1995 therefore I am apparently a “Charter” member. It says so on my card –finally and again. When I first got this card, it had been Ford co-banded, and my card was labeled “Charter Member” then they changed the card design a few times and it no longer said “Charter Member.” Now I guess we are back to Charter Member.

Though it seems Charter member holders do not get the same rewards as non-charter members – for example new apps and Options type rewards members.

I cannot find anything on the website about this card—Driver’s Edge Charter. Apparently I get 2% on all purchases, up to $500 per year or do I get 2% on those special categories, 1% all else –up to $500 per year?? It is not clear which—they basically sent me a new card since it is a new design although my expiration and account# remain the same.

It seems the current offer for Drivers Edge is 3% special categories, 1% all else, up to $1000 per year, convertible to Thank You points, and opportunity to earn addition rewards based on miles you drive in registered automobile or service repairs on that vehicle (max $500 as part of total $1000 max) and 6% in the special categories for new apps for 12months only. I guess one cannot apply for the Charter member version? Why do they even have charter member version—just change everyone to the new program and cut costs?

I frequently max out my rewards on my Citi Cards --- Dividend and Driver’s Edge by the end of the summer. They are both on calendar year time periods for the maximum. Then I switch to unlimited cash back (gas gift card really) of 1% on all purchases card from Barclay/Juniper for the remainder of the year. I have already maxed out my Driver’s Edge, and am now on to Dividend – maybe I should consider calling Citi about the $1000 a year maximum as I think mine is $500 on the Driver’s Edge. Would that entail a new application or would they allow a transfer or “change/upgrade of reward program?” I have not been successful on this request with Juniper and thus they required me to submit a new card application if I wanted the new reward program and in the end had treated me frankly as if I had not been a customer of theirs for 12 years.

Any thoughts one would like to share about this Citi Driver’s Edge product, the new design, charter vs. options rewards?
Old May 14, 2007, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by STAM4NICK
Any thoughts one would like to share about this Citi Driver’s Edge product, the new design, charter vs. options rewards?
IMHO, Options is much better than Charter. For some reason Citi doesn't allow conversions to DE Options. I tried converting a Div Plat to DE Options, but the only thing available was DE Charter.

Now, that said, Charter is pretty good for some people as I believe it's a flat 2% back (to use towards a car purchase?). But Options, assuming you earn enough drive miles, is 2% back on anything (convertible to TY points), 6% back on groceries/gas (12% for the first year). But you do have to drive quite a bit on one car to make it worthwhile.
Old May 16, 2007, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
I too am a DE Charter member from the Ford card.

The benefit is a maximum of $500 cash toward a car purchase or lease earned at 2% of any purchase. Max accrual is $1,500 and the cash expires after 3 years. There is no further accrual at any percentage after the $500 max per year is reached.

I use this card first to get the 2% then move to the Fidelity Cash Rebate card at 1 1/2% unlimited.

There is no other card that allows you to earn 2% on any purchase.

I don't believe the DE Charter member card is offered anymore as the rebate percentage is high. I am glad to have it and glad Citi keeps the Charter members.
Old May 18, 2007, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Here is the website on the citicards.com page:

http://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/ca...o?screenID=925

This is the new design, but charter members say “CHARTER” rather than “OPTIONS”

I figured out that it is more worth it for me to keep the charter version rather than get or transfer to an options version. The vast majority of my spending is at NON special category merchants---though I do use it for groceries and drug on a regular basis and even that is probably 20% of my monthly/annual spend on this card, so if I get 2% on these NON-special category merchants despite a $500 annual maximum, I might as well keep it as opposed to using a 1% NON-special category card as I do once I max out benefits. Coincidentally my dividend card is 2% on the special categories anyways, so my Driver’s Edge and Dividend have equal special category “cash” back.

Now that Chase Freedom is even better – 3% special category, but does not include drugstores unfortunately, but if you eat out at any coffee place or sandwich shop and even local delis/convenience stores 3% is better than 1% or 2%.

I don’t like how they advertise the Dividend card on the website. They make it seem like you get 5% on gas, grocery, and drug all the time now with new apps, but if you read the fine print it is only for 6months, then it goes back to 2%---seems like they are trying to drum up support for this card after the rewards downgrade. Too bad Citi is being sly in this advertisement.

I am loyal to MasterCard branded cards, so I like to stick with them from Citi mainly or even Chase.
Old May 19, 2007, 11:56 am

The Options card is really a 3% for special catagories and 1% for all others card. The double benefit is only for the promo period.

You can do much better.

The Citi Professional card gives you 3% for the special catagories.
AND when you use it with the Drivers Edge Charter card you come out way ahead.

I don't think the DE Charter card is still offered? Anyone have an offer link for the Charter card??
Old May 19, 2007, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Duke5150
The Options card is really a 3% for special catagories and 1% for all others card. The double benefit is only for the promo period.

You can do much better.

The Citi Professional card gives you 3% for the special catagories.
AND when you use it with the Drivers Edge Charter card you come out way ahead.

I don't think the DE Charter card is still offered? Anyone have an offer link for the Charter card??
Professional has very different bonus categories than DE Options (restaurants vs groceries/gas). And DE Options becomes 6% back on the bonus categories if you can get enough drive miles to match them with. But you would probably need to rack up a ton of miles to make it work. Regardless, 3% on groceries/gas is basically as good as it gets these days for cards that are still available for new applications.

Charter is available via conversions from other Citi cards.
Old May 22, 2007, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by acf573
Charter is available via conversions from other Citi cards.

How would you go about getting a Charter now?
Old May 23, 2007, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Duke5150
How would you go about getting a Charter now?
As I said, Charter is available as a conversion (AFAIK). So if you have an existing Citi card, just call up CS and request that they convert your card to DE Charter.
Old May 23, 2007, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by acf573
As I said, Charter is available as a conversion (AFAIK). So if you have an existing Citi card, just call up CS and request that they convert your card to DE Charter.
Can you have two Charter DE cards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.