Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 8, 07, 8:14 pm   #1
nsr
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 767
Using Thankyou points for AA flights

I went through the other threads related to Thankyou points, but I couldn't find straight answers to my questions:

- If I'm using the fixed flights option to book my domestic flights on AA, does the reservation get the usual record locator?
- Can I request an electronic upgrade with stickers (via aa.com)?
- Can I use miles to upgrade it?
- Can I change the flights?
- Can I use same day $25 flight change or standby for different flights?

I'd appreciate if someone with real experience in this specific issue could comment. Thanks a lot
nsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 07, 6:40 am   #2
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago
Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsr View Post
I went through the other threads related to Thankyou points, but I couldn't find straight answers to my questions:

- If I'm using the fixed flights option to book my domestic flights on AA, does the reservation get the usual record locator?
- Can I request an electronic upgrade with stickers (via aa.com)?
- Can I use miles to upgrade it?
- Can I change the flights?
- Can I use same day $25 flight change or standby for different flights?

I'd appreciate if someone with real experience in this specific issue could comment. Thanks a lot
-yes
-yes
-yes
-whether you can change your flight depends on the fare rules of the flight that is booked for you--usually there is a $100 change fee unless it is full fare
-yes

Thank you network purchases you the cheapest available flights for your origin and destination for the dates that you want to travel, usually what pops up on expedia.com as the cheapest option. If AA is the cheapest or close to it, they will try to play you on AA. If not, you will be placed on other carriers.
CMHFlyerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 07, 6:45 am   #3
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 21,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsr View Post
fixed flights option to book my domestic flights on AA
To be sure there is no misunderstanding, Expedia does not promise a Fixed Flight redemption ticket on the carrier you prefer.
mia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 07, 7:16 am   #4
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Programs: Amex Plat, Citi Chairman
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
To be sure there is no misunderstanding, Expedia does not promise a Fixed Flight redemption ticket on the carrier you prefer.
How about just tranferring your ThankyouPoints to AAdvantage miles? Can that be done? I've got way more ThankyouPoints than I need and i'm in the process of upgrading 12 Y round trip tickets to India from NYC using AA but I'm coming up about 60k short in my AA miles. I'll happily dump the ThankyouPoints into AA miles if possible, but I don't know that it is.
- SR
sr47567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 07, 7:33 am   #5
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 21,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr47567 View Post
How about just tranferring your ThankyouPoints to AAdvantage miles? Can that be done?
Thank You Rewards does not offer transfers to any other program. However, you could try the Your Wish Fulfilled feature to test if they will purchase AAdvantage miles for you. It would be interesting to know the redemption ratio and whether there is a limit on the number of miles AA would let them purchase for one person...

https://www.thankyounetwork.com/rewardsYWFMain.jspx

Last edited by mia; May 9, 07 at 7:38 am. Reason: Added YWF
mia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 07, 8:16 am   #6
nsr
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 767
Thank you all for the quick answers
nsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 07, 10:50 am   #7
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: LA Ca
Posts: 377
Prior till May 1st if you had a Smith Barney Travel and Rewards Visa you were able to remdem points into AA miles. As Travel and Rewards points pooled with Thank You points and CS could not tell which card you earned thoses points with except as of May 1 Smith Barney Travel and Rewards program was converted to Citi Thank You points and last day to redem Travel and Rewards Awards which are the same as Thank You points except for ability to transfer into AA is May 25.

It really is a shame in my opinion as that was one of the advantages Smith Barney Barney acccounts had over Citibank brokerage accounts.
dolmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 07, 11:51 am   #8
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolmar View Post
Prior till May 1st if you had a Smith Barney Travel and Rewards Visa you were able to remdem points into AA miles. As Travel and Rewards points pooled with Thank You points and CS could not tell which card you earned thoses points with except as of May 1 Smith Barney Travel and Rewards program was converted to Citi Thank You points and last day to redem Travel and Rewards Awards which are the same as Thank You points except for ability to transfer into AA is May 25.

It really is a shame in my opinion as that was one of the advantages Smith Barney Barney acccounts had over Citibank brokerage accounts.
Was the ratio 1:1?

On a somewhat related note if some one is looking for AA miles in exchange for Thank You points they should easily be able to get a trade on Coupon Connection
piyush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 07, 12:32 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: LA Ca
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush View Post
Was the ratio 1:1?

On a somewhat related note if some one is looking for AA miles in exchange for Thank You points they should easily be able to get a trade on Coupon Connection
Yeah 1:1 but you could only redem in 5K blocks as the award on was 5K TY points for 5K AA points and Citi let you post the miles to anyone account. I 1X posted the miles to my friends account who is not on my accounts at all as he was short miles and I just gave the operator his AA number and within 24 hours the miles posted to his account.
dolmar is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:05 am.