FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Using Thankyou points for AA flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/691166-using-thankyou-points-aa-flights.html)

nsr May 8, 2007 8:14 pm

Using Thankyou points for AA flights

I went through the other threads related to Thankyou points, but I couldn't find straight answers to my questions:

- If I'm using the fixed flights option to book my domestic flights on AA, does the reservation get the usual record locator?
- Can I request an electronic upgrade with stickers (via aa.com)?
- Can I use miles to upgrade it?
- Can I change the flights?
- Can I use same day $25 flight change or standby for different flights?

I'd appreciate if someone with real experience in this specific issue could comment. Thanks a lot

CMHFlyerOH May 9, 2007 6:40 am

Originally Posted by nsr (Post 7710085)
I went through the other threads related to Thankyou points, but I couldn't find straight answers to my questions:

- If I'm using the fixed flights option to book my domestic flights on AA, does the reservation get the usual record locator?
- Can I request an electronic upgrade with stickers (via aa.com)?
- Can I use miles to upgrade it?
- Can I change the flights?
- Can I use same day $25 flight change or standby for different flights?

I'd appreciate if someone with real experience in this specific issue could comment. Thanks a lot

-yes
-yes
-yes
-whether you can change your flight depends on the fare rules of the flight that is booked for you--usually there is a $100 change fee unless it is full fare
-yes

Thank you network purchases you the cheapest available flights for your origin and destination for the dates that you want to travel, usually what pops up on expedia.com as the cheapest option. If AA is the cheapest or close to it, they will try to play you on AA. If not, you will be placed on other carriers.

mia May 9, 2007 6:45 am

Originally Posted by nsr (Post 7710085)
fixed flights option to book my domestic flights on AA

To be sure there is no misunderstanding, Expedia does not promise a Fixed Flight redemption ticket on the carrier you prefer.

sr47567 May 9, 2007 7:16 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 7711765)
To be sure there is no misunderstanding, Expedia does not promise a Fixed Flight redemption ticket on the carrier you prefer.

How about just tranferring your ThankyouPoints to AAdvantage miles? Can that be done? I've got way more ThankyouPoints than I need and i'm in the process of upgrading 12 Y round trip tickets to India from NYC using AA but I'm coming up about 60k short in my AA miles. I'll happily dump the ThankyouPoints into AA miles if possible, but I don't know that it is.
- SR

mia May 9, 2007 7:33 am

Originally Posted by sr47567 (Post 7711907)
How about just tranferring your ThankyouPoints to AAdvantage miles? Can that be done?

Thank You Rewards does not offer transfers to any other program. However, you could try the Your Wish Fulfilled feature to test if they will purchase AAdvantage miles for you. It would be interesting to know the redemption ratio and whether there is a limit on the number of miles AA would let them purchase for one person...

https://www.thankyounetwork.com/rewardsYWFMain.jspx

nsr May 9, 2007 8:16 am

Thank you all for the quick answers

dolmar May 9, 2007 10:50 am

Prior till May 1st if you had a Smith Barney Travel and Rewards Visa you were able to remdem points into AA miles. As Travel and Rewards points pooled with Thank You points and CS could not tell which card you earned thoses points with except as of May 1 Smith Barney Travel and Rewards program was converted to Citi Thank You points and last day to redem Travel and Rewards Awards which are the same as Thank You points except for ability to transfer into AA is May 25.

It really is a shame in my opinion as that was one of the advantages Smith Barney Barney acccounts had over Citibank brokerage accounts.

piyush May 9, 2007 11:51 am

Originally Posted by dolmar (Post 7713183)
Prior till May 1st if you had a Smith Barney Travel and Rewards Visa you were able to remdem points into AA miles. As Travel and Rewards points pooled with Thank You points and CS could not tell which card you earned thoses points with except as of May 1 Smith Barney Travel and Rewards program was converted to Citi Thank You points and last day to redem Travel and Rewards Awards which are the same as Thank You points except for ability to transfer into AA is May 25.

It really is a shame in my opinion as that was one of the advantages Smith Barney Barney acccounts had over Citibank brokerage accounts.

Was the ratio 1:1?

On a somewhat related note if some one is looking for AA miles in exchange for Thank You points they should easily be able to get a trade on Coupon Connection

dolmar May 9, 2007 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by piyush (Post 7713581)
Was the ratio 1:1?

On a somewhat related note if some one is looking for AA miles in exchange for Thank You points they should easily be able to get a trade on Coupon Connection

Yeah 1:1 but you could only redem in 5K blocks as the award on was 5K TY points for 5K AA points and Citi let you post the miles to anyone account. I 1X posted the miles to my friends account who is not on my accounts at all as he was short miles and I just gave the operator his AA number and within 24 hours the miles posted to his account.