FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   If you are a Citigold member. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/422413-if-you-citigold-member.html)

icbkcnbjicc Apr 16, 2005 3:06 am

If you are a Citigold member.

:confused: Waived annual fee card of one:
Citi Premier Pass Elite Level card 75 value
Citi Diners Club Master card 95 value

If you were me, you will choice???

wanaflyforless Apr 17, 2005 10:51 am

Premier Pass - Better if you charge lots of tickets to the card - so you can earn the miles flown from them. Double earning rate if you fly lots. BUT -beware of the $100K cap - if you are a high spender this is no good. Not real miles - so better availability - but very high redemption rates for premium cabins and little carrier choice.

Diners - The most flexible card for those wanting true FF miles. Earn and save.... When a trip come up and only one airline has award availability, hold your award, you can transfer to that airline. Lower earning rate because you can't count flight miles but lower redemption rates for premium cabins if you transfer to the right mileage programs. No mileage earning cap.

hillrider Apr 26, 2005 7:08 pm

My choice has been neither--they both charge more than 1% on foreign purchases. Not worth the hassle and credit report ding of getting one.

Kyle53719 Apr 26, 2005 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
Premier Pass - Better if you charge lots of tickets to the card - so you can earn the miles flown from them. Double earning rate if you fly lots. BUT -beware of the $100K cap - if you are a high spender this is no good. Not real miles - so better availability - but very high redemption rates for premium cabins and little carrier choice.

Diners - The most flexible card for those wanting true FF miles. Earn and save.... When a trip come up and only one airline has award availability, hold your award, you can transfer to that airline. Lower earning rate because you can't count flight miles but lower redemption rates for premium cabins if you transfer to the right mileage programs. No mileage earning cap.

I would go with Diners. Much more flexibility, greater acceptance with MasterCard conversion, Resturant Savings Program, and much more robust rewards program among a few of the better features than the Premier Pass.

neophyte May 2, 2005 3:58 pm

Request both for free!
Is this is a theoretical question or did your CitiGold rep really put such a choice before you?
Their site still has no mention of Citi Premier Pass, here's what listed:

NO ANNUAL FEE CARDS
• The Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® ($85 value), Citi® Platinum Select® MasterCard® and personal Diners Club® Card ($95 value) are available to CitiGold clients
• No annual fee for a Premium Citibank® / AAdvantage® Debit Card ($65 value)

Since they didn't list it yet, you don't know what your rights are, still you are a "premium" member for them so they should bend over, not you! Unless you have all three cards listed above for free, you might mention that they promise to waive $245 in annual fees and you don't use all of that.

P.S. I looked more than onece at Citigold, but never opened it for a single reason - they don't provide any discount brokerage services, paying $24.95 for trade is a throughback in early 90's and it negates everything else I could get out of CitiGold

dgordon May 3, 2005 1:04 pm

I have just read the new brochure which says you can choose only one of the cards. I have been citigold for quite some time and have had several AA cards and Diner's with secondary users with fees waived. When I asked if the premierpass fee was now waived and could I get it in addition to the others, my bank said yes, - but just now I read the current literature. I just ordered a premierpass card to replace one of my AA MC with the available credit transferred to this card. I hope that they don't try to charge me the fee. I don't know what I would do if I had to choose. Your particular branch might have an option of approving more than one, and I certainly hope that I am grandfathered in . For those of you who don't like some of the package - you don't have to use those features. You don't have to use their brokerage services if you don't like their fees (I believe that it is cheaper if you do some things online). This account use to have a $125 fee, then down to $95, then eliminated completely. Each card has it's pluses, and if you don't have to pay for them, you are indeed foolish to not get them. Best to apply getting the bonuses that these cards offer, then after the miles post, call to say you were charged the fee when you aren't suppose to have one.

dolmar Sep 4, 2005 3:52 am

I know I get charged $9.95 if i do the trade online via there web page and $14.95 if i call the 800 number. Last time I made a stock purchuse was last month so I know online they still charge me $9.95 for sure. I have friends who are also Citigold customers who do and do not get stock trades for the same price as me. They also dont get both AA Credit card and Diner Club card waived. They get one or the other waived but not both. Other friends get both cards waived just like me. Citibank will waive more fees and lower you stock trades based on your account size. If you come in with barely 100K dont except to get anything more than what is printed on there list of benfits. On the other hand if you come in with 500K you can and will get tons of fees waived above what is printed in there list of benfits.

They waivie for me the AA Platinum Select Private Visa Card with $125 Anunal fee but it has no milage cap at all. I have charged over $200K a year on it and i dont have any status with AA and all my miles have posted without a problem. I know this card was discounted tho back in like 98 or so was only offered I think to Citigold customers. They also waive my diners club card which is $95 a year. On top of that they waive the $65 fee on my AA premire mastercard debit card.

I know with Citigold the advisory you deal with and the size of your account also matters. Citigold offically charges for outgoing wire transfer but the guy I deal with at the bank has always been able to waive the fee for me. He also has waived many other fees for me in the past that Citibank normally charges.

MileageCollector Sep 5, 2005 3:40 am

Originally Posted by icbkcnbjicc
...... Waived annual fee card of one??:.......

Is it true? I just checked but all of my 3 cards (AAdvantage MC, AAdvantage Debit MC, & Diners) got no record of anual fees.

dgordon Sep 5, 2005 8:52 am

Choosing only one to have the fee waived is the new official policy. However, each does not ask about what other cards you have so the likelihood, if you apply independently of one another, get the bonus points, then call citigold and ask them to waive the fee, that it will happen. It shows up as annual fee 0, although in the past, it wouldn't be unusual for me to be charged, and I would have to call citigold to have it waived. Actually I have 1 visa and 2 MC's (
AAdvantage) and I have the fee waived on ALL of them.

happyvoid Sep 5, 2005 1:28 pm

citigold

To be a citigold member, can you upgrade your regular checking account or do you have to open a completely new account? Any benefits for doing either. Did you get any bonuses?

dgordon Sep 5, 2005 1:34 pm

My belief is that it is a completely new account. You could keep your old account if you like and all accounts are linked for fee waivers so if you have a reason that you might have use of a second account, you can leave it open. Currently I am not aware of any bonuses - I think the perks they give you are bonuses enough - especially since it is now a fee free account.

maulah Sep 5, 2005 3:06 pm

Initially I opened a simple checking account to take advantage of $200 offer and then the same account was converted into a Citigold checking. Some extra paper work had to be done.

happyvoid Sep 5, 2005 3:21 pm

account

was the $200 offer for upgrading to the citigold account? So you were able to upgrade the existing account to citigold?

Also, you sure that when you are citigold member, all checking accounts are free of maintainance charges?

maulah Sep 5, 2005 6:23 pm

Nope. That was not for upgrading. Inital offer was to open a no fee no interest simple plain checking ac**** with a minimum of $200. Which I did but later realized the benefits of Citigold and asked them to change it to Citigold.

All accounts are free of any charges except that your combined balance has to be a total of 100,000 after six months of opening.

dolmar Sep 5, 2005 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by happyvoid
was the $200 offer for upgrading to the citigold account? So you were able to upgrade the existing account to citigold?

Also, you sure that when you are citigold member, all checking accounts are free of maintainance charges?

Yes all account are maintainace free. I keep a checking account just to pay all my medical bill and medical insurnace premium. I keep in the account between 100-300 always and transfer funds as need. I never been charged anything on my medical account not even for checks or using Quicken on that account. I get a seperate statement on that checking and a seperate year end statement just covering that 1 checking account. I just give that report to my accountant at the end of the year to figure out my tax deductions for my medical expensses based on that year end statement.

I can see that account online under my Citigold account. I also can see the balance and take out money with my Citigold Atm card at Atm machines. The statement says the account is called "Everything Counts" . Requirements for that account according to Citbank web page is either $10K in cash and investments or 25K in loans.

But again like i said in my first post Citibank will waive extra fee based on the size of your account. I do 1-2 International wire transfers a month and have never been charged 1 cent. They waive the fee on computer checks for me that is not normally waived either.

I have friends who I refered to Citigold back about 4-5 years ago when they gave you $200 Saks Gift card for each person who you refer who open an account with Citigold. Some of them have asked and where unable to get free computer checks or wire transfers but have extra Checking account for there children with no fees at all. Citibank can household accounts. I know my account is household with my parrent and my brothers account. I have had my account balance at times under 100K still not been charged anything either. As a matter of fact when I bought my new home 2 years ago my account balance went down to like 20K for 5-6 months I never got charged anything either.