Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Cards now offer rewards points program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2002, 7:42 am
Original Poster

I just received an offer in the mail for free enrollment in a rewards program for my Citi Card Visa, called Citicardsavings. The system appears to be similar to Amex's Membership Rewards program in concept. One point is earned for each dollar spent. Then points are redeemed for merchandise, gift certificates, prepaid calling cards, travel certs, restaurant certs, cash credits to your Citi account, etc. One reward even allows you to buy down the APR on your account by a point or two.

The travel rewards are very limited in selection compared to Amex MR or a dedicated airline card. Rewards include a $50 generic airline cert for 10,000 pts for DL, NW, or UA. There is also a RT airline cert for 50,000 pts for NW or UA.

I'm pleased that Citi is finally offering a rewards program of some kind for its non-affinity cards. I haven't been using this Citi account much due to the lack of rewards. But I believe the Amex MR program or a dedicated airline card will offer better returns. MR has a far better selection of rewards, and in many cases, a far better point conversion.

PS - I haven't yet found any details of this program online, other than the cardmembers-only site (www.citicardsavings.com) to enroll in the points program and select rewards.

[This message has been edited by UpperDeck (edited 03-24-2002).]
Old Mar 24, 2002, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I see we've now come full circle. Anyone here besides me remember CitiDollars? This was a similar program offered to cardmembers in the 80's, and was discontinued sometime in the early 90's if I remember correctly. You accumulated CitiDollars, and your balance was printed on your monthly statement. You could redeem them for merchandise, but it wasn't very compelling, as I never did anything with mine.

When they discontinued the program, they sent out a letter explaining that the program no longer met what the marketplace wanted. Now, 10 years later, since we're all much more interested in mileage/points program, the phoenix rises from the ashes.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 8:36 pm

There was also Universal Rewards on the AT&T Universal Card in the mid-90's. That faded away after Citibank bought Universal Bank from AT&T.

------------------
On the road, In the air,
I enjoy travel, From here to there.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Actually, the program on the Universal card is still there. They changed the name to Universal Savings but I still see a running total on that account and actually redeemed some points as recently as last fall.
Old Mar 25, 2002, 7:45 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
Citi$ died in 1996, if I remember correctly.
Old Mar 25, 2002, 4:59 pm

I got one of these in the mail too. But looking at the terms and conditions, it's not such a great deal after all. Spend $35,000 to get a RT ticket? Too much for me to temp getting this card.
Old Mar 27, 2002, 8:02 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Steve M:
I see we've now come full circle. Anyone here besides me remember CitiDollars? This was a similar program offered to cardmembers in the 80's, and was discontinued sometime in the early 90's if I remember correctly. You accumulated CitiDollars, and your balance was printed on your monthly statement. You could redeem them for merchandise, but it wasn't very compelling, as I never did anything with mine.

When they discontinued the program, they sent out a letter explaining that the program no longer met what the marketplace wanted. Now, 10 years later, since we're all much more interested in mileage/points program, the phoenix rises from the ashes.
</font>
Yes, I remeber CitiDollars and agree it was nothing special. I don't even remember if I ever redeemed my points.

Another drawback of Citicardsavings is that the points expire three years after being earned.
Old Mar 28, 2002, 10:31 am

The Citi Dollars program may have died but the CitiMiles program is still going strong. 1 mile for every $15 spent and they buy you an airline ticket on 21 days notice. It sounds expensive but in this case a mile is a mile which can sometimes be very cost effective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.