Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citibank AAdvantage Credit Card - Bad Experience So Far

Citibank AAdvantage Credit Card - Bad Experience So Far

Old May 31, 2017, 5:01 am

OK, still the weirdest thing ever to me. My wife and I have gotten literally dozens of Citi cards over the last 6 years and never gotten a call AFTER getting approved to verify information or anything else. Once approved, you are approved and they should have everything they need.

My question is not whether or not you have received anything from Citi in the mail but whether or not you received the welcome letter in the mail as that would use the same address you have on your application. Have you verified your address since applying? Maybe there is a typo?

Has anyone else ever gotten a call to verify information after getting approved?
Old May 31, 2017, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
My wife and I have gotten literally dozens of Citi cards over the last 6 years and never gotten a call AFTER getting approved to verify information or anything else. Once approved, you are approved and they should have everything they need.
While it is good to hear that everything has been gone smoothly for you for the last 6 years with Citi, it is not always the case.

Giving some benefits of the doubt won't hurt.

BTW - I do believe you owe OP a sincere apology.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
While it is good to hear that everything has been gone smoothly for you for the last 6 years with Citi, it is not always the case.

Giving some benefits of the doubt won't hurt.

BTW - I do believe you owe OP a sincere apology.
I can only relay my own experiences and those about which I have been told. I have simply never heard of anyone getting a call a week after getting approved seeking more information. What information could they possibly want if they have already approved the application? Has this ever happened to anyone else? This is just strange to me, it sounds like something is not right, perhaps the address Citi has on the app isn't correct. I am trying to determine what that problem is. What is it exactly that you are doing?

BTW: You should probably take your own advice. j/k That would never happen.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:00 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by musicdude91
I applied online and got an instant approval email on April 29th. They called me on May 4th and left a message saying I had been approved and that they need to verify a couple pieces of information.
As you can see from the other replies this deviates from Citi's standard procedure. If an application is "approved", nothing more is required. What type of information did they need to verify?
Old May 31, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

May 30th and I still don't have the card.
Well, because of the Memorial Day hotlday, May 30th was still not yet 7 business days from when told you 5 to 7 more business days.
No mail issues. I have gotten 5-6 "you're pre approved" letters from Citi, so obviously they have my correct mailing address.
You seem to assuming that a bank uses the same exact address for all of your correspondence. That's not necessarily true. I don't remember whether Citi does this, but some other banks definitely use different variations of my mailing address for different cards! So if they used the address you submitted on your application and either you made an error when entering it or they made an error when copying it, they could have the address possibly wrong for this new card even though it's correct for all your other cards!

So definitely check whether the address they have for this card is the correct one, in case you still don't get it today (7 business days), and thus call them again.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
So I signed up for the aadvantage card April 29th and got instant approval. I got a call on May 4th saying I was officially approved. Card was supoposedly mailed out on May 8th (Monday) and I was told 5-7 business days, so May 15th is the latest I should receive my card. May 15th and still no card, so I call and talk to a CSR and they pretty much just told me the card was mailed on the 8th and now it was 7-10 business days, not 5-7 like I was originally told, so I should receive the card no later than the 19th. May 19th and still no card, so I call and talk to another CSR. He said he would get a new card shipped and I would receive it in no later than 48 hours. Card was shipped the 20th, so 48 hours would be Monday the 22nd. Monday and still no card. So I call and talk to another CSR and they said since it is a new card they could not expedite ship it ( so the CSR who told me 48 hours was apparently blowing smoke). They told me it would be another 5-7 business days.

I told them I didnt care if it would cost $100, expedite ship my card. They said they couldn't do that since "it was a new account."

So it's going to take ~4 weeks to get the card. That cut a whole month off getting the aadvantage sign on bonus. I also have a trip the 24th-28th and was hoping to use the card for that. But that won't be happening.

So yeah, not impressed with Citi at all. Once I receive the card I will be cancelling my account with them.
That's a little annoying. Not sure what happened there. 7-10 business days is typical, but some issuers will expedite if you have another account with them... I don't recall any situation outside of that where expedited shipping was available.

When I was approved for the Exec card, they overnighted the info that they are legally required to send me before they can send the card, then overnighted the card right after.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by kb9522
That's a little annoying. Not sure what happened there. 7-10 business days is typical, but some issuers will expedite if you have another account with them... I don't recall any situation outside of that where expedited shipping was available.

When I was approved for the Exec card, they overnighted the info that they are legally required to send me before they can send the card, then overnighted the card right after.
Are you speaking of the AA Executive World Elite MasterCard?

I wouldn't expect anything less than overnight shipping with a $450 card, fee due at the end of the first statement, otherwise I would close the card and find a $450 card with another issuer who is willing to take care of their customers.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:41 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
... I would close the card and find a $450 card with another issuer who is willing to take care of their customers.
Where might you find a better deal on an Admirals Club membership? That's the primary reason that card exists, and it's the reason for the fee. You are paying for the membership, not a premium credit card.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:15 am

Are you speaking of the AA Executive World Elite MasterCard?

I wouldn't expect anything less than overnight shipping with a $450 card, fee due at the end of the first statement, otherwise I would close the card and find a $450 card with another issuer who is willing to take care of their customers.
Actually, if I didn't have another Citi account at the time it would have been 7-10 days as well. This is completely normal for new accounts. Of course replacement cards are always overnighted.

AMEX platinum takes 7-10 days for new accounts as well, and they wouldn't expedite even though I've already had a corporate card for years. They used every bit of those 7-10 days. But again, replacements are overnighted.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by kb9522
Actually, if I didn't have another Citi account at the time it would have been 7-10 days as well. This is completely normal for new accounts. Of course replacement cards are always overnighted.

AMEX platinum takes 7-10 days for new accounts as well, and they wouldn't expedite even though I've already had a corporate card for years. They used every bit of those 7-10 days. But again, replacements are overnighted.
I've heard of people receiving a Platinum expedited for new accounts, more often than stories about 7-10 days, actually.

My AMEX new account cards have shown up in 5 business days or less, but typically 5 business days; however, I didn't pay for a premium card either.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Jun 1, 2017 at 12:17 pm
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:15 pm

I've heard of people receiving a Platinum expedited for new accounts, more often than stories about 7-10 days, actually.

My AMEX new account cards have shown up in 5 business days or less, but typically 5 business days; however, I didn't pay for a premium card either.
When I combed through the threads, an overwhelming majority of people reported AMEX did not expedite. But, yes, there were also instances where people claimed they did. In the case of AMEX, they did provide a card number and temporary CID on approval so the card could be used online immediately (after reading/agreeing to/acknowledging some terms and info).

But that's rather off topic. I think it's pretty well understood by most that a week or a week and a half is the norm.

I'm curious if Citi had any further communication or clarification with OP. As others mentioned, it sounds like it may be possible there was a typo in the address he provided on his application.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.