Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

When do Citi ThankYou point bookings count as AA "special fare"?

When do Citi ThankYou point bookings count as AA "special fare"?

Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Originally Posted by nwngeek212
ATL-MSP is a distance of 906 miles each way, which would earn 453 miles on a direct flight...
Apologies...I was ATL>MIA>MSY. ATL>MIA was 595 EQM and MIA to MSY was 674 EQM. But I only got 418 and 472 (298 and 337 without bonus) RQM respectively.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lavezzi
ok, im completely baffled now. Surely these should both be calculated using the same method? I now have one leg each giving me different bonus miles:

That's really weird. I wonder if you call and complain if AA would give an explanation. I have no idea what would be reason those posted differently unless maybe they have specific flights flagged to not count as distance.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
This is really confusing, and the airlines are making it this way, so no one has a definitive answer on redeeming TYP for a Y ticket and applying a SWU. The only answer seems to be to wait 48 hours for SWU to be applied, but of course by then 24 hour cancelation window has passed. What a catch-22 game the airlines are playing with us. I am not as concerned with RDM mileage earning, but more so with EQM earning.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:27 pm

Can't I just reserve myself on AA dot com and give travel center the Itn code that I wanted "picked up" or paid by Citi Thank you
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by writetorich
Can't I just reserve myself on AA dot com and give travel center the Itn code that I wanted "picked up" or paid by Citi Thank you
No, that is not possible. You have to make the reservation through the ThankYou rewards portal to use TYP. If you have an itinerary that isn't pricing correctly on their portal, give them a call.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
This is frustrating that some bookings come through as fare while others credit on distance. Is there no way to tell when booking?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:10 pm

I just booked a flight using TY points + cash for LAX - ATH.

The fare showed up on my AA record as follows:
Passenger X 1: $193.00
Taxes: $372.86
Carrier-imposed fees: $0.00
Subtotal: $565.86

Looking at ITA Matrix, The fare in fact breaks down as follows:
Fare 1: $96.50
Fare 2: $96.50
AA YR surcharge (YR): $250.00
Taxes: $122.86

So the MILLION $$$ questions is: Will this earn based on distance or fare? And if fare, will the fare be $193 or $443 ($193+$250) for RDM and EQD earning??
Attached Images  
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by kenying
So the MILLION $$$ questions is: Will this earn based on distance or fare? And if fare, will the fare be $193 or $443 ($193+$250) for RDM and EQD earning??
I would expect your itinerary to be either entirely or partially fare-based, based on the details you actually see on the reservation, but who knows... If you don't get the full EQDs for the CIF, I would complain.

In fact, I had a similar question regarding an itinerary of my own, and AA left me an apologetic voicemail that stated that even they didn't know what would happen until the miles posted.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by kenying
I just booked a flight using TY points + cash for LAX - ATH.

The fare showed up on my AA record as follows:
Passenger X 1: $193.00
Taxes: $372.86
Carrier-imposed fees: $0.00
Subtotal: $565.86

Looking at ITA Matrix, The fare in fact breaks down as follows:
Fare 1: $96.50
Fare 2: $96.50
AA YR surcharge (YR): $250.00
Taxes: $122.86

What fare class did your flights book into?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
So if it says this in one's record:

Please contact your travel agent for airfare or trip changes.

Would one expect this to come out distance based?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My data points from the last five Citi ThankYou reservations booked is that they all earned miles based upon fare paid, not distance flown. Not sure this loophole really works for me...makes me nervous to even take the plunge on the AA Vacations option.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by 236Dakota

Yes. Call AA reservation center to find out the fare code.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
My data points from the last five Citi ThankYou reservations booked is that they all earned miles based upon fare paid, not distance flown. Not sure this loophole really works for me...makes me nervous to even take the plunge on the AA Vacations option.
I booked (and completed) 3 trips with TYP, 2 of which were "special fare" while 1 was "distance". While the international special fare trip was working for me on both EQD and EQM, the domestic special fare trip was not so great...
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by 236Dakota

This should be distance based. Your fare code should be visible on the AA website though.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Under fare summary it says only this:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.