Wiki Posts
Search

Checking account closed by Citi

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:24 pm
jk2
Original Poster

Checking account closed by Citi

After returning from vacation, letters from Citibank was waiting for me and my wife. Citi informs that "following a recent review" they decided to close our checking accounts. That's quite strange, since I don't really use my checking account at all - no deposits, etc. I opened it last year for $400 promo, got a bonus, then downgraded it from CitiGold to regular basic account, left $1500 on it and that's all. Only activities I have is with Citi cards.

My wife opened her CitiGold in March for 40K TYP, met the requirements and that's all as well. She recently transferred $3K from this account to another checking account. Only other activities (MS) on citi cards.

I wonder what could trigger a closure and would it affect my credit cards. A letter was dated on June 18, and I was approved for another Citi card on June 26.

Did anyone else was closed by Citi?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
maybe it was the ms? I can't find any other rreason. Did u twitter or call them
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:10 am
jk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by happyvoid
maybe it was the ms? I can't find any other rreason. Did u twitter or call them
I didn't contact a Citibank, I'm not sure it worth it (anyway, I wanted to close my checking anyway) - since they mentioned in their letter that T&C allow them to close an account anytime without any reason. I'm sure there is no bank in US that will directly say what was a reason for closure.

As a MS concerned, on my cards I just do bare minimum (meeting a spend for sign up bonus and $1K/month on my AA visa as part of retention bonus). I am a AU on all my wife's cards and do the same (minimum spend for sign up bonus) and also do a MS on her Preferred card where I have an offer of extra 2pts on all spending. Spend is about $8K on that card, a little bit over a CL though.

But if they don't like a MS they would close cards, not checking account, I assume.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:35 am

Thanks for the data point, OP.

For others reading this, I recommend paying Citi cards out of Citi checking account. This way, you have some activity in the account.

I have always been concerned about some of my bank accounts where I don't have a lot of activity. I think that ideally, you want to have a direct deposit going in, even if it's just a very small amount and then pay a bill out of the account. It costs banks money to have an account that always has a very low balance. I would imagine that they ideally want to at least see some reasonable sized deposits, even if they do get bill paid out very quickly.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:57 am

Just a data point on banking and checking accounts in general. Several years ago I received a letter from Chase saying that if I want keep the "dormant" smallish checking account there needs be some activity before XYZ date. As such I made a one time ACH transfer (of $100) from an external bank into Chase checking -- the bank (Chase) left my account open/active and it's was almost another 2 years before I had another activity on the account. I think it may depend on your history with the bank. Also, if you really need/want the account to remain open then follow the rules/policy. To me, account closure in OP's case sounded rational as there hasn't been any activity for a long time and he was new to the bank (for sign-on bonus) and didn't make typical checking activity thereafter.

Last edited by deltame; Jul 4, 2015 at 10:05 am
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:26 pm
jk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silverthunder
Thanks for the data point, OP.

For others reading this, I recommend paying Citi cards out of Citi checking account. This way, you have some activity in the account.

I have always been concerned about some of my bank accounts where I don't have a lot of activity. I think that ideally, you want to have a direct deposit going in, even if it's just a very small amount and then pay a bill out of the account. It costs banks money to have an account that always has a very low balance. I would imagine that they ideally want to at least see some reasonable sized deposits, even if they do get bill paid out very quickly.
Well, that does make a sense. When I opened my Gold account, I had to keep $50K in order to avoid monthly fee, while I was waiting for $400 bonus. When I finally got it (after 7 months or so), I downgraded my account to "basic", and transferred whole amount to another bank.

My wife opened her account in March, deposited $10K, performed needed activities for bonus, and then (since a monthly fee is waived for 3 months), transferred funds to another bank as well.

I would appreciate if Citibank would inform us about consequences for keeping account as minimum. Anyway, it was just 3 months without any activity. Is it really too long for banks?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:31 am
jk2
Original Poster

I decided to call Citi and they told me that according to their review I used my checking account like a "business account". Apparently, ACH from Citi to another checking account or writing a check is considered a business usage. What a BS!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:05 pm
jk2
Original Poster

I need an advice what to do now.

It seems that closure of checking account by Citi now gives me troubles with getting new credit cards from them. Two weeks after a checking was officially closed I applied for AA Platinum MC, that was approved, but when I tried to activate it, I got a message that this account was closed. After many calls and speaking with supervisors and writing mails to them, I finally got a mail from them where they say that a reason for credit card closure was:

The credit privileges on your existing Citibank account(s) are currently restricted.

What can be done now? Is it kind of blacklist? My current 6 Citicards are still open and OK, but there are too many good offers I don't want to miss. A checking account was obviously closed by wrong reasons (when I called a branch, their associate reviewed notes and claimed I used it as business account, while I didn't use it at all - but they weren't interested to change anything).

Is there a department which can help?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:09 pm

How many citi cards have you churned, over what period of time?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:46 pm
jk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
How many citi cards have you churned, over what period of time?
I don't really churn Citi cards (except I got Citi AA Exec twice and cancelled them after 1 month). I apply for other Citi cards and keep them.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:51 am

Please keep updating this thread with your Citi experience. I am in a nasty dispute with them over my checking plus account. Like you, the reasons Citi gave for their actions are completely not based in reality. I can't figure out if the agent I'm speaking to us just clueless and making stuff up or what is going on. I'm so close to being done with them.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Maria26
Please keep updating this thread with your Citi experience. I am in a nasty dispute with them over my checking plus account. Like you, the reasons Citi gave for their actions are completely not based in reality. I can't figure out if the agent I'm speaking to us just clueless and making stuff up or what is going on. I'm so close to being done with them.
This is indeed very disturbing with banks like Citi and Chase closing accounts left and right.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:31 am
jk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maria26
There is nothing to update - I wasn't able to convince them that they were wrong. Since there are no branches here where I live, there were nothing I could do - over the phone they didn't show any desire to help/solve this issue.

Keep in mind, that if Citi closes your checking, your credit cards will be on short term life support. If you have some thank you points available, use them soon.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Have you made payment from your citi checking account to any (citi or non-citi) Business credit cards?

Also Have you tried twitter support team AskCiti?

You have nothing to loose.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
I recently received a letter stating my account would be closed in mid-May. It was opened earlier this year with initial funding from a citi credit card. Since then I've had no further deposits, but have had a few withdrawls. Only semi-strange activity is when I completed bill pay to complete signup bonus reqs, I sent those to my wife.

I've gone into a branch (while I was on vacay in Vegas) and they were of little help. Called on the phone and they were of little help.

I don't have many TYP on the account, so I'm not worried about that. But I do fear this is the beginning of the end with my relationship with Citi -- it's a pity because I've been with them forever and I really, really like their offerings.

Anyone had something similar happen? If so, what were the long-term results? Are appeals possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.