Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ninim2200
Is there currently an offer for this card with a signup bonus?

Yes:
  • 50K TYP for $4K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.

Does anybody know when the signup bonus will increase?
    No. Please don't ask in the thread "just to double-check if anybody knows." Nobody knows.
    Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?
    No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.
    What are the bonus categories for the Premier card?
    Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:
    • 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV rental and boat rentals;
    • 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
    • 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.
    Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxis/limousines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and road tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor home and recreational vehicle rentals are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat leases and boat rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts.

Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchant’s premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.
    You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed and may be lost if your Card Account is not open or current.
    What happens to my TY points if I close my card account?
Print Wikipost

Citi Premier MasterCard [2015-2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Brugge
Anyone else gotten this feeling on recent Citi apps?
Two HERE.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hmm, odd. Tried to do my first bill pay and somehow the wrong routing number was submitted. Odd as I swear I triple checked all the numbers. It tried to route to chase vs my bank. It bounced as expected, but no fee so far. What surprised me is that they suspended my ability to make a payment despite me fixing the routing number.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Brugge - Here's my odd Premier experience.

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
They offered to open my Premier with $2000 and would only allow me to move a max of $6600 even though I wanted to move $10,000 from an executive card that had $17,000 on it
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
Brugge - Here's my odd Premier experience.
I have three Citi accounts...$16.5/$15/$14.5, scores are 810+, and applied for the first time for Premier about five days ago...had to call in for approval, got an offer of $7.4 limit , with the option to move $1.0 from another line.

Was a little disappointed in the line, to say the least, even though this card pushes us to $53.4 with Citi.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by onesocalkid
I have three Citi accounts...$16.5/$15/$14.5, scores are 810+, and applied for the first time for Premier about five days ago...had to call in for approval, got an offer of $7.4 limit , with the option to move $1.0 from another line.

Was a little disappointed in the line, to say the least, even though this card pushes us to $53.4 with Citi.
Yeah, I was only approved for $9K yesterday for my Premier. And it took 15 minutes for them to approve it.

Prior to that app I had a total Citi CL of $20K. I've been approved by Citi in the past with a TCCL of $60K. Now at $20K they have to really think it over?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:23 pm

For some reason they give the lowest CL on this specific card,
much higher on Prestige for example.
One question - are you guys getting the Preferred too? Seems to be the last
option after all other cards going the 18-month route...
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
This was the first TY card for me...I have two AA MasterCards and one Diamond Preferred (converted from yet another AA Visa.)
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:52 am

Got the Prestige months ago with the in branch CitiGold offer, $17K CL.

Applied for the Premier a few days ago online, with a TCCL 20% lower than it was when I applied for the Prestige, got approved for $9K.

Will eventually get the Preferred too, when I run out of better Citi cards to apply for, due to 18 month restrictions. It's only 20K TYPs, but no fee so why not?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Yep, I feel your pain. Similar circumstances as you, only I was flat-out denied after getting a pending message.

I have similar history with Citi, as well as a mortgage. Still have my first-ever Citi CC (now a DC after various incarnations) that I got in college. Overall excellent payment record, 10-15% utilization but PIF every month, FICO 790 to 810+, income very healthy, etc. I was instantly approved about three months ago for the Prestige for a stupid high CL (30k, which put my TCCL about 50k, w/o the mortgage) and have used that card quite a bit. Met spend, PIF as usual, including AF. Got my DW the Premier about six weeks ago, made me an AU, and we used it during a recent vacation (great way to meet min spend, btw) Overall translation - I can't prove it of course, but I'm very likely a profitable customer, based on the swipe fees they're getting, the Prestige AF and relatively few benefits used (so far . And, ignoring a few Execs earlier this year .

So, back from vacay and thought I'd get a Premier for myself. Thought I'd get 3 other cards at the same time in a little AOR (SPG pers/bus, 1 Chase Marriott). Citi gave me a pending notice and asked me to call to verify/provide more information. I called in and spoke to an analyst who put me on hold for a few minutes, then came back and just said sorry, it's denied. I explained I don't need/want a new CL, just wanted to move some from one of my other cards. If it was approved, she'd move credit, but since it's denied, no can do. Said she couldn't provide a specific reason, only that it's based on the credit report and I just have to wait for the letter with more details. Spoke to a supervisor, who wouldn't budge but did divulge the CRA they pulled (Exp). Called recon and had no better luck - wait for the letter. I've never seen such a lack of willingness to discuss the situation.

The only thing I can think of is that I have too many HPs in the last six months, which I only realized was a potential issue after the fact . Going back to Jan 15, I have 8 HPs (7 back to Feb 15), not counting this AOR. I think that I submitted this Citi app last, or at least after the two SPG apps. Maybe that's what they don't like, but even 12 this year is only 1.5 per month, which is high but doesn't seem sky high. More importantly, my CLs are no where near even 30% utilized. I was definitely out of the 8/65 danger zone, even if somehow they'd counted my AU on DW's Premier app. And this was my first shot at the Premier.

Guess I'll dutifully wait for the letter and regroup. Sheesh. This is a good way to piss off good customers...

Arghhh.........

It's no secret that Chase, and possibly B of A, are really tightening up their approval process and requirements. But AFAIK, there haven't been any reports of that with Citi. As long as:

Your FICO and Income are fairly high
You don't have sky high CLs with Citi
Your HPs in 6 months aren't thru the roof
You make sure to stay out of 8/65
You haven't opened or closed that specific card in the last 18 months

then approvals should be virtually automatic, and typically instant. As was the case with my Prestige app last March. On which I've already completed the $15K spend for the in branch 60K offer.

So today when I applied for a TYPs Premier, I expected another instant approval. When I got the "please call, more information needed", I assumed they just wanted my cell number. And that's all they did ask. But then the CSR put me on hold for around 4 minutes. Then she came back and asked if I could hold another 4 minutes. Then she came back and said she had verified all of my information, and could I hold another 4 minutes while she checked to see if she could get the app approved?

I'm CitiGold, have had ccs with Citi for almost 20 years, have always had an impeccable payment record, have a Fico of 780 to 825 depending on which CB you ask. My total CL with Citi is as low as it's been in several years. And it takes 12 minutes, and apparently clearing the app with a supervisor, to approve me for a TYPs Premier?

I was instantly approved for a Prestige card, with twice the CL of today's Premier card. I've been instantly approved for my last 3 EXEC cards, also with double the CLs, and much higher min spend requirements, than the Premier. I've spent over $15K on my Prestige in the past 4 months, most of which has been paid off before it even posted. And they still need 12 minutes, and a secondary screening by a Senior Credit Analyst to approve my app?

So yes, I was approved, and without being grilled by the CSR. But it just felt different this time, as though the approval was getting more scrutiny than before. Hopefully, I'm just being paranoid, and it doesn't mean anything at all about the future for Citi apps.

Anyone else gotten this feeling on recent Citi apps?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by illinidad
Yep, I feel your pain. Similar circumstances as you, only I was flat-out denied after getting a pending message.

I have similar history with Citi, as well as a mortgage. Still have my first-ever Citi CC (now a DC after various incarnations) that I got in college. Overall excellent payment record, 10-15% utilization but PIF every month, FICO 790 to 810+, income very healthy, etc. I was instantly approved about three months ago for the Prestige for a stupid high CL (30k, which put my TCCL about 50k, w/o the mortgage) and have used that card quite a bit. Met spend, PIF as usual, including AF. Got my DW the Premier about six weeks ago, made me an AU, and we used it during a recent vacation (great way to meet min spend, btw) Overall translation - I can't prove it of course, but I'm very likely a profitable customer, based on the swipe fees they're getting, the Prestige AF and relatively few benefits used (so far . And, ignoring a few Execs earlier this year .

So, back from vacay and thought I'd get a Premier for myself. Thought I'd get 3 other cards at the same time in a little AOR (SPG pers/bus, 1 Chase Marriott). Citi gave me a pending notice and asked me to call to verify/provide more information. I called in and spoke to an analyst who put me on hold for a few minutes, then came back and just said sorry, it's denied. I explained I don't need/want a new CL, just wanted to move some from one of my other cards. If it was approved, she'd move credit, but since it's denied, no can do. Said she couldn't provide a specific reason, only that it's based on the credit report and I just have to wait for the letter with more details. Spoke to a supervisor, who wouldn't budge but did divulge the CRA they pulled (Exp). Called recon and had no better luck - wait for the letter. I've never seen such a lack of willingness to discuss the situation.

The only thing I can think of is that I have too many HPs in the last six months, which I only realized was a potential issue after the fact . Going back to Jan 15, I have 8 HPs (7 back to Feb 15), not counting this AOR. I think that I submitted this Citi app last, or at least after the two SPG apps. Maybe that's what they don't like, but even 12 this year is only 1.5 per month, which is high but doesn't seem sky high. More importantly, my CLs are no where near even 30% utilized. I was definitely out of the 8/65 danger zone, even if somehow they'd counted my AU on DW's Premier app. And this was my first shot at the Premier.

Guess I'll dutifully wait for the letter and regroup. Sheesh. This is a good way to piss off good customers...
AFAIK, Citi usually goes by # of HPs in 6 months. Which before the AOR was 7, assuming all of those are with EXP, and that would probably have gotten you approved. Up until recently, even 8 has been working for people with your history with Citi. But if you did all three of the new apps before the Premier, that would put you at 10. And recently HPs have started being recorded instantly at CBs, instead of taking hours to days as in the recent past. So all of them would have been in play for the Premier app.

I'm sure you are a profitable customer for Citi. Still, if you did have 10 HPs it's not surprising you got denied. A little over a year ago I got my first ever denial from Citi with @ 11+ HPs/6. The good news is that I waited 3 months without doing any more apps , and my HPs/6 fell back to 5. Meanwhile I lowered my TCCL from $60K to $30K, and then I got an instant approval for an EXEC app. So you can probably still get that Premier, you just have to wait a while.

When you get that denial letter, you can use it to get a free CR from EXP, so you can find out exactly how many HPs you have with them, and when some of them will fall off. While you're waiting for that, take a look at your Citi CLs, decide which ones are more than you need to have, and start lowering those. Ideally I'd say try to get your TCCL down to no more than $30K. Obviously, cards like your wife's Premier, which is being used for travel, need to have some serious CL. But anything in your sock drawer can be lowered to $2K. The only exception is an EXEC, which has to stay at $5K.

Take a break from apps, trim your TCCL, and let those HPs fall off, and you should be back to getting easy approvals from Citi again.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:02 pm

Still, if you did have 10 HPs it's not surprising you got denied.
Yes, I agree. I have never been denied, but saw many reports about
HP > 6 = denial.
My problem is I'm out of cards I can get
18-month rule s@cks, it's hard to get used to it after the Exec train last year...
Anyway, will go for the Preferred, 20K is still better than nothing.
Premier+Prestige+one Amex already gave both of us Singapore suites to Bali
both ways from LAX, can't complain
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:39 pm

Yes, I agree. I have never been denied, but saw many reports about
HP > 6 = denial.
My problem is I'm out of cards I can get
18-month rule s@cks, it's hard to get used to it after the Exec train last year...
Anyway, will go for the Preferred, 20K is still better than nothing.
Premier+Prestige+one Amex already gave both of us Singapore suites to Bali
both ways from LAX, can't complain
I think you can just as easily get approved for the Premier as the Preferred. And just as easily turned down for too many HPs. I'd wait for your HPs to drop, and get 50K points from a Premier. Then after that apply for a Preferred if you don't have any better cards to apply for.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:43 am

I have an open Platinum Select at 12500 and closed an Executive on the 9th at 13k. Applied tonight for the Premier and was approved for $7900. Was hoping they'd give me the 13k again so I could get more points from funding a Citigold account. I've had 12 HPs in the last 6 months (don't judge me), a very old Citi Diamond card (was previously something else), 758 Exp Fico and 4% utilization as of yesterday.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by diseased
I have an open Platinum Select at 12500 and closed an Executive on the 9th at 13k. Applied tonight for the Premier and was approved for $7900. Was hoping they'd give me the 13k again so I could get more points from funding a Citigold account. I've had 12 HPs in the last 6 months (don't judge me), a very old Citi Diamond card (was previously something else), 758 Exp Fico and 4% utilization as of yesterday.
Don't judge you? I'm applauding you.

But Citi may not actually be counting all of those HPs. They only pay attention to the number of HPs in whatever Credit Bureau/s they pull. If you had 6 in EXP, 3 in EQ, and 3 in TU, they would consider you had 6, not 12.

Thanks for the data point on the CL. Adding in your experience to other posts I've read, I think it either takes @3+ weeks for lowered CLs to register. Or perhaps they do it in batches every now and then. I think the best advice is to wait at least 3 weeks.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:04 pm

Don't judge you? I'm applauding you.

But Citi may not actually be counting all of those HPs. They only pay attention to the number of HPs in whatever Credit Bureau/s they pull. If you had 6 in EXP, 3 in EQ, and 3 in TU, they would consider you had 6, not 12.

Thanks for the data point on the CL. Adding in your experience to other posts I've read, I think it either takes @3+ weeks for lowered CLs to register. Or perhaps they do it in batches every now and then. I think the best advice is to wait at least 3 weeks.
They were all EXP but I received a CK alert and apparently Citi pulled TU. I think there are only 4 or 5 inquiries on its report within the last six months. Odd because Citi pulled TU for the business platinum a few months ago and Exp for everything else. ETA: USAA alert from this morning shows they pulled Exp too.

Last edited by diseased; Aug 24, 2015 at 8:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.