Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Cards that need a min of $5k CL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Most of Citi cards can have a low CL of $1k, which is good when I need to free up space from my total CL to get auto-approval for new cards. But, I am reaching the max of my total CL with Citi, and I'm facing the problem with my current AA Execs because they need a $5k CL minimum.

Are there any Citi cards (apart from AA Exec) that needs a $5k min? I was thinking of going for TY Premier or Prestige and Citi Hilton Reserve next....
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Any cards that are issued as Visa Signature or World MasterCard have such requirement.

All the cards you mention must have a $5K CL or your applications will be either denied (Prestige/any Hilton) or downgraded (TY Premier > TY Preferred).
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Any cards that are issued as Visa Signature or World MasterCard have such requirement.

All the cards you mention must have a $5K CL or your applications will be either denied (Prestige/any Hilton) or downgraded (TY Premier > TY Preferred).
No, you misunderstood what Rommie2k6 was asking about. Not the minimum CL needed to be approved, but rather the minimum CL that you can reduce the CL to (after you've stopped using the card much but don't want to cancel yet).

Ie, when you want to proactively reduce the CL to a minimum, you can reduce it on, for example, Citi HHonors Visa Siganture cards to just $1k, even though you needed $5k to get approved.

Proactively reducing CLs on open cards is becming a common technique at Citi to make it more likely that you'll have enough "available" CL to be approved for your next card, while not cancelling the previous card yet (perhaps to not trigger the dreaded "18 months since you opened or closed this type of card" blackout on new apps. With more and more Citi card app links having this language about 18 months required since you closed any card of that type, the obvious strategy is to reduce the CL on the card but keep it open, and only close it right after you get approved for the next one (that way, if you're faced with 18 months in the future, the 18 months from last open and the last close will be about the same).
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sdsearch
No, you misunderstood what Rommie2k6 was asking about. Not the minimum CL needed to be approved, but rather the minimum CL that you can reduce the CL to (after you've stopped using the card much but don't want to cancel yet).
No. It works in both ways (application/maintenance).

A Visa Signature or World MasterCard requires a minimum of $5K in CL.

Other than that, the minimum is $500 I think.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
No. It works in both ways (application/maintenance).

A Visa Signature or World MasterCard requires a minimum of $5K in CL.
No! My Hilton HHonors Visas have always been Visa Signature cards, and yet I've been able to reduce them to $2k or $1.5k myself (I never yet tried as low as $1k myself).

And if you look at the most recent posts in the Citi AA thread, you'll see for example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24632344-post991.html (post 991)

where expatinwa says:
"had requested to lower the CL on the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard 5 weeks ago to $1k but was told that $2k was the minimum allowed."
Three posts before that:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24631663-post988.html (post 988)

Brugge says:
"I have lowered many a Visa Sig card to $1k before closing them down."
So are you speaking from personal experience, or only from theory???
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:32 pm

I have AA Gold WEMC with a $4k CL. My dad has a Dividend WMC with $2.1k CL.

I know some banks enforce the $5K limit like Barclaycard and Chase. Citi is not one of them. Edit: Chase allows you to go below the 5k limit after the account has been opened.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All

My Citi BUSINESS AAdvantage WORLD MC was approved/issued with a $1500 limit. Not sure if that plays into the overall personal limit with Citi. Also have AA plat personal, TY Premier, Diamond and Simplicity for about $30K total.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check your CR and see what it says.

Does that say revolving line of credit?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
I've had a Hilton Reserve Visa Signature approved for $4.3k before, bonus cert nights received as well
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:38 pm
Suspended

As of a few months ago, the in-branch application for the Prestige said the minimum CL was $2,000, not the $5,000 mentioned above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.