Search

ThankYou points: Priority of redemption

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
ThankYou points: Priority of redemption

Question:

I have ~40k 'taxable' TYP from CitiGold and a new set of ~30K TYP from Prestige card. Prestige can be transferred to Airlines - Taxable cannot. That said only one real 'counter' seems to appear on their site.

If I redeem TYP for an air ticket or hotel through their booking tool - will the points used be prioritized to the 'taxable' type or will it take equally from both buckets?

Obviously my preference is that they'd pull from the oldest 'taxable' first and leave the transferrable to FFQ program TYP out of the transaction.

Also - is there a spend amount per transaction or in total for the year on taxable TYP that will invoke a 1099 from Citi?

Thanks in advance (didn't see answers in scan of prior posts).
Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The points set to expire earliest will be redeemed first. These are not necessarily the "oldest" points.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:57 pm

Is it possible not to link banking ThankYou account to credit cards ThankYou account? (I mean keeping two separate ThankYou accounts, one for non-transferable points and another for transferable points.)

Last edited by mizzou1; Mar 22, 2015 at 7:14 pm
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by nyc6035
Also - is there a spend amount per transaction or in total for the year on taxable TYP that will invoke a 1099 from Citi?
1099-INT is invoked based on time of earning (banking), not spending.

Also - Citi will invoke 1099-INT only to opening bonus from banking.

Originally Posted by mizzou1
Is it possible not to link banking ThankYou account to credit cards ThankYou account? (I mean keeping two separate ThankYou accounts, one for non-transferable points and another for transferable points.)
Yes - providing you have 2 different Citi login.

The issue is - what's the point? Based on Citi's design, your banking TY points only supplement your credit card earning.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:11 am
mia

Originally Posted by garykung
1099-INT is invoked based on time of earning (banking), not spending.
I believe this is inaccurate. Unless it has changed, Citi calculates the value of ThankYou Points for tax purposes at time of redemption. This is one reason they will not allow you to transfer taxable points, they cannot assign an accurate value, but if you use them for giftcards or a travel purchase the value is fixed.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by garykung
The issue is - what's the point? Based on Citi's design, your banking TY points only supplement your credit card earning.
When redeeming TY points for a gift card or travel purchase, one may want to redeem non-transferable points. If all points are in one account, TY points with earliest expiration date are automatically redeemed, which may leave no option to selectively redeem non-transferable points. So it may be good to keep non-transferable points separate from transferable points.

Another question: I believe TY points can be transferred to somebody else's TY account. Does this function work for points earned through banking (i.e. non-transferable points)? If yes, how people are taxed for the amount of points they transferred to somebody else? And will those points keep being non-transferable in the other person's (i.e. recipient) TY account?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:44 am
mia

...transferred to somebody else's TY account. Does this function work for points earned through banking (i.e. non-transferable points)?
No.

5. Taxable Points and Points made unavailable for redemption due to signs of fraud, abuse or suspicious activity in your ThankYou Member Account or due to your failure to make the required minimum payment due on your participating Citi credit card account by the payment due date are not eligible for sharing. Taxable Points are Points obtained through activity unrelated to purchases made with your Citibank Debit MasterCard or with your Citi credit card, as well as Points received for a Citibank checking relationship and bonus Points that may be awarded for opening new Sponsor accounts or for signing up for new Sponsor services.
https://www.thankyou.com/transferPoi...points-sharing
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia
I believe this is inaccurate. Unless it has changed, Citi calculates the value of ThankYou Points for tax purposes at time of redemption. This is one reason they will not allow you to transfer taxable points, they cannot assign an accurate value, but if you use them for giftcards or a travel purchase the value is fixed.
This is what I confuse - If what you said is true, so Citibank issues 1099 for AA miles at the time of earning, but for TY at the time of redemption?

I stand correct as I never received a 1099 from Citi even redeeming taxable TY.

When redeeming TY points for a gift card or travel purchase, one may want to redeem non-transferable points. If all points are in one account, TY points with earliest expiration date are automatically redeemed, which may leave no option to selectively redeem non-transferable points. So it may be good to keep non-transferable points separate from transferable points.
I understand what you meant (separate to distinguish). My point is you will never earn more than enough nowadays due to the cut in taxable TY.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)

Another question: I believe TY points can be transferred to somebody else's TY account. Does this function work for points earned through banking (i.e. non-transferable points)? If yes, how people are taxed for the amount of points they transferred to somebody else? And will those points keep being non-transferable in the other person's (i.e. recipient) TY account?
This is all well and good in theory, but with very few exceptions Thankyou points earned by credit card have no expiration date. I know the old AT&T Thankyou card expired after 5 years but the Thankyou Preferred, Premier, and Prestige all do not have an expiration date while banking points(taxable) do. As such, in almost all circumstances unless you just closed a thankyou credit card in which case I believe the points expire in 90 days or you have recently transferred points from another account the taxable points will always be used first since they expire (even if they have been earned after points from your credit card that do not expire).

And this is exactly what happens in my account without fail.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Joe1690
This is all well and good in theory, but with very few exceptions Thankyou points earned by credit card have no expiration date. I know the old AT&T Thankyou card expired after 5 years but the Thankyou Preferred, Premier, and Prestige all do not have an expiration date while banking points(taxable) do.
In my case, TY points from Forward have an expiration date. I think it is 3 years.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Joe1690
in almost all circumstances unless you just closed a thankyou credit card in which case I believe the points expire in 90 days or you have recently transferred points from another account the taxable points will always be used first since they expire (even if they have been earned after points from your credit card that do not expire)
Yes, soonest-expiring points are consumed first. For a fuller discussion, see the wiki at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...derations.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.