Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Costco replacing Amex with Citi co-branded VISA, March 2016

Costco replacing Amex with Citi co-branded VISA, March 2016

Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by pugsley21
I've had 2 Chase cards for a year now (Freedom and CSP). We've had nothing but great experience with them. My husband is military so we get waived AF on the CSP, which is nice. Also, I had an uninsured driver hit my rental car last year and the CSP card paid the $3k damage bill.

I haven't eliminated the thought of Citi.

I don't know about insurance benefits, however Chase disputes department is utterly useless
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Personally - my concerns are:

a. Maximum # of cards you can have with Citi.

I have an old Citi Simplicity Cash (true 5% grandfathered) and a Citi Forward (non-student). As I frequently churn Citi's cards (like AA), Citi Costco Visa will be a keeper.

So having a Costco Visa mean no more churning with Citi?

b. APR

I earned my AMEX Costco APR (8.74%) in a hard way. Will I be able to keep it?

Originally Posted by NDN
The real strategy question in my mind is whether the co-branded card is a cash-back card to a Thank You Points card.
Definitely cash back.

Cap 1 tells us that nothing much will be changed.

Originally Posted by sedubby
There is a small niche of people living on the Canadian border who this *might* impact. As far as I know, Canadians are the only ones who benefit from lower grocery prices by shopping across the border. I know the Bellingham, WA location is an example of a Costco that is bombarded by Canadians in search of cheap milk, though this might have died down a bit with the strengthening USD.
Well, regardless if this U.S.-Canada dispute is going to continue or not, Visa instead of MC will not stop them. Costco co-brand card only earns 1% anyway. So it virtually has no difference using other non-Costco card. Canadians simply need a Visa card without FTF to invade the Costco at Bellingham, WA.

If they are Executive members, they will still earn 2% bonus still.

Originally Posted by satman40
Look for a nice sign up bonus
$50 statement credit is what you can expect, like now.

Originally Posted by freeflyin
It would be great if the new card would keep a similar earning structure and add a bonus for Costco shopping as well.
Don't worry. It will be similar. Butthe bonus categories may be changed
based on Cap 1 in Canada.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Personally - my concerns are:

a. Maximum # of cards you can have with Citi.

I have an old Citi Simplicity Cash (true 5% grandfathered) and a Citi Forward (non-student). As I frequently churn Citi's cards (like AA), Citi Costco Visa will be a keeper.

So having a Costco Visa mean no more churning with Citi?
There is a total credit limit Citi applies to your file. You then have the opportunity to move credit around once you apply for a card and have already reached that limit. So, there is no set number of cards that I know.

b. APR

I earned my AMEX Costco APR (8.74%) in a hard way. Will I be able to keep it?
All my Citi cards are 15.24%. Of course that doesn't necessarily apply here.

Last edited by eajusa; Mar 4, 2015 at 8:52 am
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:45 am

This will definitely help. Visa has better tiesups
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:02 pm

Good. Screw Amex and their Nazi slashing of OBC cardholders the last few months. I am glad Visa is taking over at Costco so that now I can use any of my Visa CCs.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by jn in ca
1 - What will the new rewards program look like? When Cap 1 took over from AmEx in Canada, the new rewards card was almost identical to the old one. I strongly doubt that the new Citi/Costco card will have better rewards than Amex/Costco. Costco simply isn't giving them enough of a profit margin to make the rewards more generous.
Given Visa has quite a wider range of rewards programs (including Capital One's Quicksilver and its 1.5% cash back), Citi will have to make this card competitive enough to be the one members will pull out of their wallets first.

My hope would be that Citi matches Sam's Club and Synchrony Bank's 5/3/1 structure (5% on gas, 3% on travel & dining, 1% elsewhere).

However, when BJ's said they were going to offer "industry leading" rewards on their new Comenity-issued card last fall, it turned out to be a disappointing 2% on gas & dining (for BJ's gas, the discount is a flat 10 cents) and 3% at BJ's (good only if you are a huge spender there).
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Given Visa has quite a wider range of rewards programs .
VISA doesn't have any rewards programs. Citi already competes with banks which issue American Express, MasterCard and VISA cards with a wide range of rewards programs. How does Costco change this?

Citi's advantage will be that their card will function both as a Costco membership card and as a payment card. A substantial number of people will use the Citi card, if it is substantially similar to the American Express card it replaces, simply because they do not want to carry another card, pay another bill, etc.

If you look at the new Costco card issued in Canada, you will see that it is essentially the same as the card it replaced. I would expect the same in the USA.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:01 pm

I think VISA long term goal is to have Citi rebrand it's cards from MC to VISA. For example Citi Prestige is a VISA in Australia and India so it won't be to far-fetched that Citi USA rebrand the Prestige Card in the USA from MC to VISA. They could even offer either a free membership or discounted membership to card holders as a benefit. I don't care about having a Citi VISA/Costco card in one product. If Citi doesn't change or offer a current product but with a VISA brand, I have no problem using one of my many JPM Chase cards which are all VISA.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by AAdmiral
I think VISA long term goal is to have Citi rebrand it's cards from MC to VISA.
Apparently Citi didn't get the memo:

Citigroup Inc. reached a deal to issue most of its global consumer credit and debit cards on MasterCard Inc.’s network.

As part of a 10-year agreement, New York-based Citigroup will start to shift more of its consumer business to MasterCard this year, the companies said in a statement Wednesday. The bank said it will continue to issue co-brand and commercial cards on other networks.

...Citigroup is one of MasterCard’s largest clients and the biggest issuer of its cards, according to the Nilson Report, a payments industry newsletter
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...consumer-cards
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by mia
VISA doesn't have any rewards programs. Citi already competes with banks which issue American Express, MasterCard and VISA cards with a wide range of rewards programs. How does Costco change this?

Citi's advantage will be that their card will function both as a Costco membership card and as a payment card. A substantial number of people will use the Citi card, if it is substantially similar to the American Express card it replaces, simply because they do not want to carry another card, pay another bill, etc.

If you look at the new Costco card issued in Canada, you will see that it is essentially the same as the card it replaced. I would expect the same in the USA.
I think MASTERNC had a valid point. Currently at Costco AMEX has a captive audience, no matter which card they use. AMEX always gets a cut. Additionally they also control 99% of any reward program linked to an Amex card (there are a couple of exceptions).

Citi on the other hand will not have a captive audience as they will compete with a variety of other Visa issuers at Costco. Theoretically that should compel them to make sure their offering is competitive.

Practically, I agree, one of the main targets will be people who just don't want to carry another card and will naturally whip out a single card to get in and pay. I will personally be using whatever gives me the best return. I could care less if I have to carry an extra card.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
I don't know about insurance benefits, however Chase disputes department is utterly useless
I disputed one of my foreign transactions on CSP recently, and they refunded it immediately with minimum questions asked.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:11 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by ocdb8r
I think MASTERNC had a valid point. Currently at Costco AMEX has a captive audience, no matter which card they use. AMEX always gets a cut. Additionally they also control 99% of any reward program linked to an Amex card (there are a couple of exceptions).

Citi on the other hand will not have a captive audience as they will compete with a variety of other Visa issuers at Costco. Theoretically that should compel them to make sure their offering is competitive.
It really depends on how the deal is structured. It's possible that Visa is paying Costco a lot more for the network exclusivity than Citi is for being the issuer. Citi probably sees this as just another of the several co-branding partnerships they have. They put Costco's logo on the card, hawk them in the warehouse, and pay out rewards in the forms of Costco rebate checks, just like they put the AAdvantage logo on their AA cards, hawk them on the plane, and pay out rewards in the form of miles. Citi is invested in both Visa and Mastercard, so network exclusivity does not benefit them.

Last edited by cbn42; Mar 4, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by yugi
I disputed one of my foreign transactions on CSP recently, and they refunded it immediately with minimum questions asked.
Due to costs associated with disputes, many issuers in fact have internal policies to automatically credit disputes if it is under certain amount.

Was the transaction under USD$50 equivalent?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42
Citi is invested in both Visa and Mastercard, so network exclusivity does not benefit them.
This is correct and should end all discussion on said subject.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Due to costs associated with disputes, many issuers in fact have internal policies to automatically credit disputes if it is under certain amount.

Was the transaction under USD$50 equivalent?
It was around $100.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.