Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best value from Citi Prestige golf benefit portal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best value from Citi Prestige golf benefit portal?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
played bali hai on the 5th and had an 08:50 tee.

arrived around 08:15. bag boys (college aged) grabbed my bag from the uber and confirmed my tee time. i went in the clubhouse (super nice but nothing going on at that hour) and then to the pro shop. they sent me straight out (not even 30 seconds in there) and showed me where everything was.

i loosened up on putting green, then took cart to "driving range". spent all of 10min there, max. grabbed a coffee ($3), water ($4), and ham egg and cheese bagel ($9). definitely the highest i've ever paid at a course. made it to the starter right at 08:50 but it didnt matter... no one in front of or behind me for many holes.

Hole 11 was a "best bet in vegas" par 3 challenge. Bet at least $20, and if you get it on the green, you get $40 to spend in the pro shop or clubhouse. If you miss, that $20 still goes towards stuff there. So, if you are planning on buying something there, then it's a no-brainer. I knocked it in the middle of the green so got the $40. Then I 4-putted.

I actually struggled to find anything in the pro shop to get. Shirts START at $80, hats weren't priced, and I didn't see anything else I really liked. Finally asked if they had flags and they did behind the counter. $45. Ridiculous, but it was a net of $25 in the end.

Nice course, but as stated earlier, not $250 nice. Good for plane spotting since 25R and 25L go directly over most of the course.

Have to be in ATL in a few days and got TPC Sugarloaf confirmed for early mid-week. I think it took about an hour for it to be confirmed. Just noticed the Champions Tour is there this weekend.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:04 pm

So as someone who absolutely sucks (I've been able to slice a ball over the netting from the far end of a driving range), how many stares would I get if I were to book a tee time at a $255 spot? Looking at the Aviara in Carlsbad (SD county).

I also don't have a full set of clubs, do these places have rentals? I have a driver, a 5 wood, 6 iron & a putter. Weird mix I know. How much can i expect to pay? I also don't have golf shoes, are running shoes passable?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by asdf916
So as someone who absolutely sucks (I've been able to slice a ball over the netting from the far end of a driving range), how many stares would I get if I were to book a tee time at a $255 spot? Looking at the Aviara in Carlsbad (SD county).

I also don't have a full set of clubs, do these places have rentals? I have a driver, a 5 wood, 6 iron & a putter. Weird mix I know. How much can i expect to pay? I also don't have golf shoes, are running shoes passable?
honestly if you just had a driver/3 or 5 wood, 7 iron, and putter, you could put together a respectable round (if you could hit them). woods get you off the tee and long distance in fairway. the iron gets you approach shots to green and you can also chip with it.

you will def get stares depending on time of day if you show up with that and no shoes and all. it just depends on how much that would bother you.

the real issue is if you'd get paired with anyone else. it would be very frustrating and unfair to the other(s) if your game is that bad. plus if you were holding up other groups.

are you just wanting to play because it's $255 and "free"?

personally if i were you i'd hit up budgetgolf.com or some other site and get a complete set, clearance shoes, balls, bag, and whatever else you need and go to a driving range a few times before getting out on a course.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin
honestly if you just had a driver/3 or 5 wood, 7 iron, and putter, you could put together a respectable round (if you could hit them). woods get you off the tee and long distance in fairway. the iron gets you approach shots to green and you can also chip with it.

you will def get stares depending on time of day if you show up with that and no shoes and all. it just depends on how much that would bother you.

the real issue is if you'd get paired with anyone else. it would be very frustrating and unfair to the other(s) if your game is that bad. plus if you were holding up other groups.

are you just wanting to play because it's $255 and "free"?

personally if i were you i'd hit up budgetgolf.com or some other site and get a complete set, clearance shoes, balls, bag, and whatever else you need and go to a driving range a few times before getting out on a course.

My GF & I both actually have the Prestige so I'd try to pair with her. She's actually 3x better than I am so I'd still be the bottleneck for any groups behind us.

I'm wanting to play because I actually want to play. The fact that it's at a really nice course makes it an extra incentive to take advantage of the Prestige's benefit.

I have those 4 clubs & a bag. But if the course has a full set for rent at a reasonable price, I'd just forgo what I have and use theirs.

I do ok at the range, I'm just inconsistent with striking the ball true.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I played aviara with two friends on the Prestige back in the fall. Great course with friendly staff. I'm terrible but went with good players and no one really cared. As long as you don't slow down others you'll be fine...maybe your clubs and shoes will get looks but who cares? Just pick up your ball or skip a hole if you're not able to keep up your pace of play.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by asdf916
My GF & I both actually have the Prestige so I'd try to pair with her. She's actually 3x better than I am so I'd still be the bottleneck for any groups behind us.

I'm wanting to play because I actually want to play. The fact that it's at a really nice course makes it an extra incentive to take advantage of the Prestige's benefit.

I have those 4 clubs & a bag. But if the course has a full set for rent at a reasonable price, I'd just forgo what I have and use theirs.

I do ok at the range, I'm just inconsistent with striking the ball true.
no issue, then, as mightyduck also pointed out. but if you did want shoes then budgetgolf does have a big sale on puma footwear right now. FS over $55 i think.

i would not rent clubs. it'll probably run you $50. if you need to steal a club, then steal one from your gf (assuming her set is complete). They can't keep you from playing just because you only have 4-5 clubs.

when i played doral blue monster last year, i packed a flimsy "sunday bag" with my golf luggage and put a few of my clubs in it for my colleague to use so that he would also have a "set" when we played. worked fine.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:00 am

played bali hai on the 5th and had an 08:50 tee.

arrived around 08:15. bag boys (college aged) grabbed my bag from the uber and confirmed my tee time. i went in the clubhouse (super nice but nothing going on at that hour) and then to the pro shop. they sent me straight out (not even 30 seconds in there) and showed me where everything was.

i loosened up on putting green, then took cart to "driving range". spent all of 10min there, max. grabbed a coffee ($3), water ($4), and ham egg and cheese bagel ($9). definitely the highest i've ever paid at a course. made it to the starter right at 08:50 but it didnt matter... no one in front of or behind me for many holes.

Hole 11 was a "best bet in vegas" par 3 challenge. Bet at least $20, and if you get it on the green, you get $40 to spend in the pro shop or clubhouse. If you miss, that $20 still goes towards stuff there. So, if you are planning on buying something there, then it's a no-brainer. I knocked it in the middle of the green so got the $40. Then I 4-putted.

I actually struggled to find anything in the pro shop to get. Shirts START at $80, hats weren't priced, and I didn't see anything else I really liked. Finally asked if they had flags and they did behind the counter. $45. Ridiculous, but it was a net of $25 in the end.

Nice course, but as stated earlier, not $250 nice. Good for plane spotting since 25R and 25L go directly over most of the course.

Have to be in ATL in a few days and got TPC Sugarloaf confirmed for early mid-week. I think it took about an hour for it to be confirmed. Just noticed the Champions Tour is there this weekend.
Please let me know what you think of TPC Sugarloaf. I have heard great things.

I was supposed to play TPC Sawgrass this weekend but did not realize when I booked my flight that the course would be closed three weeks before The Player's Championship. Bummer. I am going to play the Dye's Valley course at Sawgrass instead and probably the King and Bear Course at World Golf Village as well. The last free round I am going to use will likely be Chamber's Bay but am open to other suggestions. I played Blue Monster and TPC Las Vegas last year.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:45 pm

Did Pasatiempo disappear from the booking options?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by sailpgd
Please let me know what you think of TPC Sugarloaf. I have heard great things.

I was supposed to play TPC Sawgrass this weekend but did not realize when I booked my flight that the course would be closed three weeks before The Player's Championship. Bummer. I am going to play the Dye's Valley course at Sawgrass instead and probably the King and Bear Course at World Golf Village as well. The last free round I am going to use will likely be Chamber's Bay but am open to other suggestions. I played Blue Monster and TPC Las Vegas last year.
It was incredible. It easily topped Blue Monster. Of course, I played it just two days after the end of the Mitsubishi Electric Champions tour tournament and was told by several employees there that was the best the course will ever be. But wow was it ever spectacular. I would HIGHLY recommend playing it ASAP before summer heat arrives.

Full driving range included with very good size chipping area on right side of it. Two different putting greens. Another green area devoted entirely to chipping.

One of the three 9-hole courses they have is COMPLETELY under construction so it's a true 18. The blues played pretty long for me. There were at least two holes where i chucked 3 in a row off into the woods or into the water. I have NEVER found the sand as much as I have here, either (one par 5 legit has about 12 different bunkers). And I actually made a legit birdie on one par 4 after a 280 yd drive, 150 yd iron to left fringe, and 25-30ft putt dead center.

Again, this was two days after a big Senior Tour golf event and the course was in pristine condition, but it easily sits at number 1 of courses i've played.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It was incredible. It easily topped Blue Monster. Of course, I played it just two days after the end of the Mitsubishi Electric Champions tour tournament and was told by several employees there that was the best the course will ever be. But wow was it ever spectacular. I would HIGHLY recommend playing it ASAP before summer heat arrives.
Now you've got me poking around at Google Flights this morning because my grandparents live outside ATL and this would make a decent long weekend trip before the benefit expires. I am going to have a tough time using my 3 rounds before July.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:03 pm

Full driving range included with very good size chipping area on right side of it. Two different putting greens. Another green area devoted entirely to chipping.

One of the three 9-hole courses they have is COMPLETELY under construction so it's a true 18. The blues played pretty long for me. There were at least two holes where i chucked 3 in a row off into the woods or into the water. I have NEVER found the sand as much as I have here, either (one par 5 legit has about 12 different bunkers). And I actually made a legit birdie on one par 4 after a 280 yd drive, 150 yd iron to left fringe, and 25-30ft putt dead center.

Again, this was two days after a big Senior Tour golf event and the course was in pristine condition, but it easily sits at number 1 of courses i've played.
This is tempting but I am leaning towards playing TPC Potomac since I only live a couple hours from DC. I have heard great things about the course since the $25 million renovation.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/me.../article/95269

I will say that I did not even get to play Sawgrass but despite this, the whole experience was one of the best golf experiences I have ever had. The clubhouse was stunning but classy. There is a lot of history and our group enjoyed lounging at the 19th Hole and in the old school locker room. The Dye's Valley course was in pristine condition and is a test in itself. Seven and eight are almost carbon copies of 17 and 18 on the Stadium Course. The whole experience was top notch. I am going to go back to play the Stadium Course even though I'll have to pay.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:28 pm

When do we think the last day to book will be?
Old May 1, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by patrickf3
When do we think the last day to book will be?
July 23? Not sure if that's the last day to book or last day to play...I suspect it's the latter.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by sailpgd
This is tempting but I am leaning towards playing TPC Potomac since I only live a couple hours from DC. I have heard great things about the course since the $25 million renovation.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/me.../article/95269

I will say that I did not even get to play Sawgrass but despite this, the whole experience was one of the best golf experiences I have ever had. The clubhouse was stunning but classy. There is a lot of history and our group enjoyed lounging at the 19th Hole and in the old school locker room. The Dye's Valley course was in pristine condition and is a test in itself. Seven and eight are almost carbon copies of 17 and 18 on the Stadium Course. The whole experience was top notch. I am going to go back to play the Stadium Course even though I'll have to pay.
If you are that close to Potomac then I would just do that. If you needed to be in ATL or were close enough to it for a night away, then I'd absolutely recommend Sugarloaf. Personally, it would not be worth an actual flight to/from there for me. My wife happened to have a work conference downtown that day so I got some free HH points, breakfast, and the round at Sugarloaf that day
Old May 2, 2017, 9:33 pm

Has anyone played Pine Needles and Mid Pines? This seems like it would make one of the better Citi Prestige golf trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.