Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
LOL, true, but now all that is going away.
Yep. All good things must come to an end.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LWT3
The great thing about this card was that there were always links without the 24 month language, so you could churn it every 32 days.
The great thing about this card is that it also supported such "fast" churning for many years before any 18/24-month language even appeared anywhere at Citi. I never used those "no language" link, but still got dozens of Citi HH cards over the years before that. (Though however many I got, flyer4512 got even way more of them than I did .)
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
(Though however many I got, flyer4512 got even way more of them than I did .)
If there were an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records for churning a single card, flyer4512 would be in there.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84
Honestly, what difference does it make whether or not the no-fee Hilton card stays a Hilton card or not? It has the lowest earning rate of any Hilton credit card (the no-fee Amex makes 1 pt/ $ more). The great thing about this card was that we could churn it every 24 months. If we can't apply for it and get a sign up bonus, big whoop. I'll use my Amex Hilton Surpass on my next Hilton stay.

It was still churnable at 40K points per shot. Not as good as the old days but not bad.

I racked up millions of Hilton points over the years via this card
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:36 pm

If there were an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records for churning a single card, flyer4512 would be in there.
I'm not sure, some people have been hammering the AA card for years and are somehow getting these mailers without the language.

Try as I have I have not received on mailer.

But it was a nice run, I figure I'll be out of HH points in 2021
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's too early to know what this card is changing to! There has been no announcement yet at all from Citi (not even an announcement that it's going away AFAIK). The only announcement of the death of the Citi HH cards has been from Hilton, not Citi.
I don't know if this counts as an announcement, but they have definitely acknowledged the Hilton relationship ending:

https://online.citi.com/JRS/portal.c...TOKEN=Q9BN72YD
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by beachmiles
Amex will have exclusive right to issue...

Maybe Citi will continue to support existing cards, but not issue any new ones.
Since the Hilton cards are co-branded and not a direct Citi card, that will not happen. The portfolio is being sold to American Express; thus, the cardholders will have to move to that company or cancel their card.

In their FAQ's they state that any new price rewinds and other features will cease on 12/31/17, which means they won't have any working Hilton cards in circulation after that point.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
In their FAQ's they state that any new price rewinds and other features will cease on 12/31/17.
Well, that seams to be definitive..... I'd been thinking maybe Citi could keep the current cards open, the way Barclay keep the old Aviator open past the point where they could open any new ones. But if the card benefits are going on end 12/31, then clearly they won't.

Still wondering if the accounts will be sold to AMEX, as happened with AMEX to Citi Costco accounts.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
How long does it take for the 50K bonus to post? My husband got his final card and immediately did the spend. The statement closed a week or so ago. Points posted for the spend but not the 50K. The statement shows that he is to get the combined amount. He called and was told that he gets the spend bonus immediately but the 50K posts with the 2nd statement. We haven't had this card for 2 years. Is that current practice?
Did your bonus points ever post? I'm in a similar situation...statement closed over a week ago and shows I earned the 50k bonus. My points from the spend have posted, but still no 50k bonus in my Hilton account.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:15 pm

Same thing with me. That has never happened before with this card.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:35 am

I was afraid this would happen. As I explained above, my wife's app was approved on June 4th. The card never came, so we called customer service. They cancelled the card and issued us a new one. The letter for the new card just arrived, and it doesn't have the language about the 40,000 bonus points. I still have the original letter from the approval on the 4th which does have that language. What steps do I have to take to get Citi to award the bonus on the new card? I guess wait for the card to arrive and then call. This is probably something a frontline rep can't resolve. Do we call and ask for a supervisor? Do we send a pdf of the first letter? Any tips on getting it resolved quickly. It will be slightly uncomfortable to have someone look at my wife's file and say, "I see she has received the bonus 11 times before now, including less than two months ago."
No issues getting the bonus. It posted automatically the day after the statement date.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:22 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I'm more concerned to see what happens to the Hilton Reserve card that carries gold status.
IMHO, I would dump that card too. I just did a few months back and got the AMEX Hilton Surpass when they had the 100K bonus.

Lower annual fee, gold status and a free hotel night certificate after first anniversary. (ETA: realized this was a promo benefit that ended).

The only drawback with the Surpass is no foreign transaction fee waiver, which is rather ridiculous for a travel oriented card nowadays. However, I only use that card for Hilton spend and the occasional worthwhile AMEX offers.

Last edited by mia; Jul 28, 2017 at 9:46 am Reason: Portion of post has been copied to Amex forum.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:49 am

Citi is saying they issued the 50k bonus and to talk to Hilton. Hilton says they never received it and to talk to Citi...what a nightmare. The same issue is happening on my wife's account as well, so it doesn't appear to be isolated.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:10 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by bmrisko
Citi is saying they issued the 50k bonus and to talk to Hilton. Hilton says they never received it and to talk to Citi...what a nightmare. The same issue is happening on my wife's account as well, so it doesn't appear to be isolated.
This is interesting. My husband's statement shows that he received the 50K bonus but he didn't. He called Citi who said the 50K will post in the following month after shown. The points posted for his spend. We'll wait for the next month to see if it posts before going into full investigative mode.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is interesting. My husband's statement shows that he received the 50K bonus but he didn't. He called Citi who said the 50K will post in the following month after shown. The points posted for his spend. We'll wait for the next month to see if it posts before going into full investigative mode.
is hilton account activity showing bonus points or only monthly spend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.