Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Old May 28, 2017, 7:49 am

Citi CSRs are well known for making up things or giving bad information, which does not mean that this is not true but it doesn't mean that it is either.

If your old HH card was just closed and then you applied for a new one, you should have expected that the new one would be denied under the 24-month rule.

Similarly for your wife if she closed any AA Personal cards in the last 24 months. You mention that her open Executive is 24+ months old and that she has no open other open cards but you have not stated whether or not she closed any other AA personal cards in the last 24 months.

Originally Posted by kocoliza
Ok... so, kinda scary DP. Decided to apply for 40k Link. Denied. Great credit. Only 2 inq on report right now. I have a really old simplicity open and an AA Plat. This is what I was told by Recon: too many accounts open and closed just for the bonus. The rep explicitly said this and cited the 4 AA Executives that we opened and then closed 2 years ago for the 100k bonus. She said citi has changed its system to auto deny people who have opened and closed "too many" CITI cards. She said is something new and has nothing to do with credit report or history. SO applied to an AA Personal Plat and was told the same thing (obly Citi AA card currently open is Exec. Opened 24+ months ago.) I have scoured the web for other, similar reports. Is this new!??
* some of this was copied from my other post in the AA Plat thread*
Old May 28, 2017, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
More data points are needed.

If this is indeed the end, I can't complain. We didn't have any right to get what we got so far.
Yes, if it's true, the data points should flood in quickly, and so far this is the only report. If/when the gravy train ends, I'll have the same grateful attitude you do.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: IHG Spire A, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
If your old HH card was just closed and then you applied for a new one, you should have expected that the new one would be denied under the 24-month rule.
No, Citi never denies because of the 24 month rule. The 24 months rule just means that you wouldn't get the bonus if approved. Citi has other rules for instant denials (8/65, 2/90)

That's why this DP is quite interesting, maybe Citi implemented a new rule that hands out instant denials.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:43 pm

There are people that cannot get more than 1 App every 65 days, others 2 Apps every 65 days, so not all people are treated the same. the DP is unique and could have many factors that we don't understand, but we will need to see more DPs to generalize anything new, and so far we don't have anybody else with similar situation.

Last edited by ninim2200; May 28, 2017 at 6:14 pm
Old May 28, 2017, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
There hare people...
Are you referring to their big ears or running prowess?
Old May 28, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat Ambassador, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Ilseum
No, Citi never denies because of the 24 month rule. The 24 months rule just means that you wouldn't get the bonus if approved. Citi has other rules for instant denials (8/65, 2/90)

That's why this DP is quite interesting, maybe Citi implemented a new rule that hands out instant denials.
exactly. Regardless, I applying using the 40k (no 24-mo language) link. Unless this has recently changed, i should've been approved and gotten the bonus.

my SO has no opened or closed any Citi AA Cards In the last 24 months. I tried to convince them to close the Exec and use the credit line but that was a no-go. And like I said, even the agent noted credit history and score was excellent but that that was not the reason for the denial.

i was so shocked by the reps response that I did not HUCA. I honestly had no answer to "opened a card, spent 10k and closed it in 30 days" 😂 Any suggestions as to what to say??

i am going to call in for both cards tomorrow.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:21 am

I honestly had no answer to "opened a card, spent 10k and closed it in 30 days" 😂 Any suggestions as to what to say??
"I made a mistake." (It will be an honest answer too, right? )
Old May 29, 2017, 7:57 pm

Ok... so, kinda scary DP. Decided to apply for 40k Link. Denied. Great credit. Only 2 inq on report right now. I have a really old simplicity open and an AA Plat. This is what I was told by Recon: too many accounts open and closed just for the bonus. The rep explicitly said this and cited the 4 AA Executives that we opened and then closed 2 years ago for the 100k bonus. She said citi has changed its system to auto deny people who have opened and closed "too many" CITI cards. She said is something new and has nothing to do with credit report or history.
Unless this new policy started after 4/20/2017 ( date I opened my last HH card) it's not true.

If it was I would have been denied with the rep telling me I had a LOT more than 4 cards in the past 2 years.
SO applied to an AA Personal Plat and was told the same thing (obly Citi AA card currently open is Exec. Opened 24+ months ago.)
It makes no sense that your SO was denied for having only one Citi card that she still has open and paid TWO $450 AF's.

i was so shocked by the reps response that I did not HUCA. I honestly had no answer to "opened a card, spent 10k and closed it in 30 days" �� Any suggestions as to what to say??
MAYBE people who MS $10k and avoided the $450 AF ( or whatever it was) threw up some sort of flag as while I have had dozens of Citi cards I never used MS spend or tried to avoid an AF the first year by closing the card fast.

See what the denial letter says, it it matches what the rep said it looks like there is some new policy or you are black listed @ Citi.

Last edited by flyer4512; May 29, 2017 at 8:13 pm
Old May 30, 2017, 6:34 pm

i was so shocked by the reps response that I did not HUCA. I honestly had no answer to "opened a card, spent 10k and closed it in 30 days" 😂 Any suggestions as to what to say??

i am going to call in for both cards tomorrow.
What happened when you called?
Old May 31, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat Ambassador, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Update...

After calling again, I was approved for the 40k HH (no 24 month language link, we'll see if I end up getting the points). I actually fudged up my social when I applied, hence the instant denial

With my SO it might be a "Citi reps don't know what they are doing" kind of situation. Called and was was told reason for denial was "credit factors" that I would see on the letter. Would not discuss it and could not be reconsidered. Seems to not match what the first rep said, but still very surprising. First ever denial.

I guess the DP so far is that it is business as usual at Citi. Phew...
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:38 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Note that Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends in December, and they reportedly will migrate existing cards to another Citi product rather than sell the accounts to American Express.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ds-2018-a.html
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by mia
Note that Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends in December, and they reportedly will migrate existing cards to another Citi product rather than sell the accounts to American Express.

Well, this stinks. My 24 months on the no-fee Citi Hilton ends in November and SO needs first card so was hoping for a bump in the sign-up bonus. Doubt they would do that now that the card is going away. I can't get the last 60K link in the wiki to work.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by fredc84
Well, this stinks. My 24 months on the no-fee Citi Hilton ends in November and SO needs first card so was hoping for a bump in the sign-up bonus. Doubt they would do that now that the card is going away. I can't get the last 60K link in the wiki to work.
looks like 60k link is dead?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:09 am

Just opened a new card for my wife a few days ago. Sent SMs to cancel a few older cards and accidentally canceled the new card I'll have to cash in a lot of wife points to get her to call tonight after work and reinstate the card and hopefully it won't affect her 50k point bonus.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia

Welp.

Starting to feel around here like the trash-compactor sequence in "Star Wars."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.