Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by manu4986
I applied HHonors Visa card but got approved for Gold card with 6K limit. Does it mean i will still get 50K HHonor points? or is it a completely different card? what bonus do i get now?
That's strange. I've been approved for the Signature with a CL as low as $3k, I wouldn't expect a Gold with a CL of $6k.
However, AFAIK Citi gives the full bonus regardless of the version of the card you get (but I might be wrong!).
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:46 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by Superorb
AAdvantage Gold?
No, It is HHonors Visa Gold card.

Originally Posted by mikex163
That's strange. I've been approved for the Signature with a CL as low as $3k, I wouldn't expect a Gold with a CL of $6k.
However, AFAIK Citi gives the full bonus regardless of the version of the card you get (but I might be wrong!).
yes, I called the reconsideration line to check the bonus and confirmed that i will be getting 50K bonus after 1K spend in 4 months.
Major difference with Gold card being I wont getting Silver status with the gold card whereas Visa signature card gives me silver status. Other than that most of the things are same.

I am happy as long as i get 50k bonus ^
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by manu4986
No, It is HHonors Visa Gold card.

yes, I called the reconsideration line to check the bonus and confirmed that i will be getting 50K bonus after 1K spend in 4 months.
Major difference with Gold card being I wont getting Silver status with the gold card whereas Visa signature card gives me silver status. Other than that most of the things are same.

I am happy as long as i get 50k bonus ^

Silver status isn't worth much...............it's the points that you want
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Silver status isn't worth much...............it's the points that you want
Agreed, kinda. If you're not a breakfast person or staying at a Hampton, the free breakfast isn't worth much, and a business person with their own wifi hotspot or a leisure traveler at Hamptons won't need the free wifi.

Silver, however, is the lowest level needed for fifth night free awards. Again, not so great if you're doing only stays shorter than that, but I've used this to my advantage a couple of times as a Gold, and I'd make sure I still had Silver status if I didn't retain Gold.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Agreed, kinda. If you're not a breakfast person or staying at a Hampton, the free breakfast isn't worth much, and a business person with their own wifi hotspot or a leisure traveler at Hamptons won't need the free wifi.

Silver, however, is the lowest level needed for fifth night free awards. Again, not so great if you're doing only stays shorter than that, but I've used this to my advantage a couple of times as a Gold, and I'd make sure I still had Silver status if I didn't retain Gold.
Silver gives free breakfast at Hampton ? I get about $100 a day in benefits from being Gold where I stay.

Chances are to get enough points to redeem a 5th night free award a person is going to stay ( and Pay) enough to get Silver status ( or higher) and/or get multiple Citi cards one of which would most likely be a Citi Hilton Signature as I have not sure if you can get approved for multiple Gold cards or at least I have never seen anyone post that they have.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Silver gives free breakfast at Hampton ? I get about $100 a day in benefits from being Gold where I stay.

Chances are to get enough points to redeem a 5th night free award a person is going to stay ( and Pay) enough to get Silver status ( or higher) and/or get multiple Citi cards one of which would most likely be a Citi Hilton Signature as I have not sure if you can get approved for multiple Gold cards or at least I have never seen anyone post that they have.
Even Blues get free breakfasts at Hamptons. And four of these cards, without any other cards, will get you a lot of properties at 50K per night, that will then qualify for the fifth night free. Which, depending on your travel patterns, means you might be able to use the fifth card app on another trip.

Always good to have multiple options. Gold has benefits over Silver for sure, but getting the fifth night free is worthwhile info for those new to the card.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:16 pm

Even Blues get free breakfasts at Hamptons. And four of these cards, without any other cards, will get you a lot of properties at 50K per night, that will then qualify for the fifth night free. Which, depending on your travel patterns, means you might be able to use the fifth card app on another trip.

Always good to have multiple options. Gold has benefits over Silver for sure, but getting the fifth night free is worthwhile info for those new to the card.
I never stay at Hampton so I forgot breakfast was included. It's actually included at Home wood Suites also as I'm staying just outside Newport RI this summer.

My point was that I don't think you'll get approved for 4 Gold cards so you won't get enough points for a 5th night free unless A you get approved for more cards which will most likely include a Signature card as their standing with Citi has improved or B you pay for stays which will get you silver status. People who get the Gold version didn't qualify for the 50K signature card.

Either way Gold is only $75 or $95 so assuming the churn goes on I will spring for it when my Gold expire 4/1/2016

Last edited by flyer4512; Feb 27, 2015 at 5:24 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:00 pm

I never stay at Hampton so I forgot breakfast was included. It's actually included at Home wood Suites also as I'm staying just outside Newport RI this summer.

My point was that I don't think you'll get approved for 4 Gold cards so you won't get enough points for a 5th night free unless A you get approved for more cards which will most likely include a Signature card as their standing with Citi has improved or B you pay for stays which will get you silver status. People who get the Gold version didn't qualify for the 50K signature card.

Either way Gold is only $75 or $95 so assuming the churn goes on I will spring for it when my Gold expire 4/1/2016
So many ways to get Gold other than by taking a card, although I never dismiss the points I get through any card.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:41 pm

So many ways to get Gold other than by taking a card, although I never dismiss the points I get through any card.
Any ways to get Gold Status without ever paying for a room ?

Unless I can pull that off I'll gladly pay $95 and also get 2 free nights at any Hilton or $75 for a Surpass.

Last edited by flyer4512; Feb 27, 2015 at 7:53 pm
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless I can pull that off I'll gladly pay $95 and also get 2 free nights at any Hilton or $75 for a Surpass.
You've just mentioned them (Surpass or Reserve). There were two other ways, but one of them was not only shut down but "clawed back" (ie, people who'd gotten "free" "instant" Gold from a particular website later had their Gold status suddenly revoked without warning ), and the other one expired and so far has not been renewed (Milepoint Premium membership).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ec-2013-a.html

The thread on getting Gold without the full number of stays is in the Hilton forum. But the main alternative to Surpass or Reserve is not a "without ever paying for a room" method, it's the 4 stays within 90 days method. See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ges-comps.html
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The thread on getting Gold without the full number of stays is in the Hilton forum. But the main alternative to Surpass or Reserve is not a "without ever paying for a room" method, it's the 4 stays within 90 days method. See here:
I knew there was no way to Gold without a card or paying for stays, I was trying to make the point that it's much easier for me to just pay the annual fee ( every other year) for Gold as I only stay in Hotels on vacation.

I vacation in November/December, early February and late March. If you get a Surpass card in October ( using 2014 as an example)it ups your membership level to until 3/31/2016 so I only need to pay the AF every other year to remain Gold for my stays.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I knew there was no way to Gold without a card or paying for stays,
Tense matters! There was a way, but there is no way any more.

I've currently got Hilton Gold status, through 3/2016 apparently, from getting MilePoint Premium in fall 2013 but waiting until early 2014 to activate my Hilton Gold benefit from it. I paid $49. And for that $49 I also got 1k UA miles and some discounts too, besides the HH Gold.

So there are people out there who have gotten Gold without paying for a room and without using a card. It's just not clear whether it's going to possible in the future, and it's clear that it's not possible at this moment.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Grammar Nazi in action
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:06 pm

I've currently got Hilton Gold status, through 3/2016 apparently, from getting MilePoint Premium in fall 2013 but waiting until early 2014 to activate my Hilton Gold benefit from it. I paid $49. And for that $49 I also got 1k UA miles and some discounts too, besides the HH Gold.

So there are people out there who have gotten Gold without paying for a room and without using a card. It's just not clear whether it's going to possible in the future, and it's clear that it's not possible at this moment.

If it comes back let us know, if not , who cares what WAS possible ?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:58 am

And soon, Gold won't be necessary to get free wifi: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24439691-post1.html. Breakfast and an increased earning rate still apply and remain reasons to have Gold status, no matter how you achieve it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.