Prepaid REDcard (Target)
Print Wikipost

Citi & Target prepaid REDcard (Redbird)

Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
Citi & Target prepaid REDcard (Redbird)

Originally Posted by Brugge
My wife got her last card Dec 6th, had the first statement post about 10 days after she received it. She fed her Redbirds right away, then lowered the CL to $5K, and paid the $5K off with RB BP.
As you know... I'm super new at RB. I've only made 1 small pmt to my CC. Is it safe to make a large pmt... say $5000 at one time???

~~~

Wishing there were a Happy Dance Smiley!!! I'm sure I would use that a lot!!!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by slhansen219
As you know... I'm super new at RB. I've only made 1 small pmt to my CC. Is it safe to make a large pmt... say $5000 at one time???
That's not a problem
so long as you have a history of large payments with citi (or any other issuer) , as too not raise red flags with them because of it.

But it's not an issue at all on the side of Redbird
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
That's not a problem
so long as you have a history of large payments with citi (or any other issuer) , as too not raise red flags with them because of it.

But it's not an issue at all on the side of Redbird
Good to know! I thought the problem was with RB, not Citi. Don't want to make RB angry! Citi is used to getting large payments from me as I pay my card off each month... Then close it!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:32 am

Good to know! I thought the problem was with RB, not Citi. Don't want to make RB angry! Citi is used to getting large payments from me as I pay my card off each month... Then close it!
you won't be able to load more than 2500 in one day, RB Rules. Brugge has alot of experience in that.
Citi will initially decline your payment ( so odds are it won't go through so do all this at costumer service desk) you should get a text from fraud, and you will have to clear it, sometimes that doesn't work and you have to call citi and talk to fraud dept and be on the phone to make sure that the payment will go through.

I don't know if this is all off topic but that is part of using Exec card i guess. and option #2 still works
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200
you won't be able to load more than 2500 in one day, RB Rules. Brugge has alot of experience in that.
Citi will initially decline your payment ( so odds are it won't go through so do all this at costumer service desk) you should get a text from fraud, and you will have to clear it, sometimes that doesn't work and you have to call citi and talk to fraud dept and be on the phone to make sure that the payment will go through.

I don't know if this is all off topic but that is part of using Exec card i guess. and option #2 still works
I sometimes call Citi's fraud department ahead of time and tell them, "Hey, I just got my new card, and I'm going to charge a large amount, approximately xxxx at Target. I don't want that to look like fraud to you guys." They'll ask for a bunch of information to allow you to prove that you're the real cardholder, and then they'll code the computer to approve any big transaction at Target in advance.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:52 am

Citi will initially decline your payment
This bit of information is correct, but it is phrased wrong. When you go to target to load money on your redcard for the first time, Citi might very well block your first attempted transaction due to fraud concerns (in which case, as stated above you should call Citi to clear the alert and re run the charge). However, when it comes to payments FROM Redcard back to Citi, Citi will NOT block your payment (in this case, if anyone blocks your account, it will be amex Redcard, wanting to make sure the citi card that you send payments to, really does belong to you)

Last edited by rgAAFT; Dec 30, 2014 at 7:58 am
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:02 am

However, when it comes to payments FROM Redcard back to Citi, Citi will NOT block your payment (in this case, if anyone blocks your account, it will be amex Redcard, wanting to make sure the citi card that you send payments to, really does belong to you)
Has that ever happened to you (redbird blocking a payment to a credit card issuer)? I'm new to Redbird, but it hasn't happened so far, and it never happened to me with Bluebird.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by LWT3
Has that ever happened to you (redbird blocking a payment to a credit card issuer)? I'm new to Redbird, but it hasn't happened so far, and it never happened to me with Bluebird.
No it has not, but theoretically might

That's why I say,

"in this scenario, if anyone does initiate a block it would be amex"
I have however had amex request to verify ownership of my Citi card back when I did serve loads
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
when it comes to payments FROM Redcard back to Citi, Citi will NOT block your payment (in this case, if anyone blocks your account, it will be amex Redcard, wanting to make sure the citi card that you send payments to, really does belong to you)
I suppose that could happen, but from several years of making large payments to a cc with BB, I never had a problem. In the good old days of BB and WM BP, I'd load $2500 a day for 2 days, then pay off the $5K in one payment. Nobody blinked an eye.

I really doubt it will be any different with RB.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
it will be amex Redcard, wanting to make sure the citi card that you send payments to, really does belong to you)
Thinking it over, I don't think AMEX will care if the cc you are paying belongs to you or not. BP is BP, and if you want to pay someone else's bill, I think you are welcome to do that. My wife and I sometimes pay each other's cc bills (we have different last names) depending on who has how much $ in an account at the time, and it's never been a problem.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
Thinking it over, I don't think AMEX will care if the cc you are paying belongs to you or not. BP is BP, and if you want to pay someone else's bill, I think you are welcome to do that. My wife and I sometimes pay each other's cc bills (we have different last names) depending on who has how much $ in an account at the time, and it's never been a problem.

Same here

but I am just listing off theoretical stuff since the other lady is new
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info/advice!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:49 am

This bit of information is correct, but it is phrased wrong. When you go to target to load money on your redcard for the first time, Citi might very well block your first attempted transaction due to fraud concerns (in which case, as stated above you should call Citi to clear the alert and re run the charge). However, when it comes to payments FROM Redcard back to Citi, Citi will NOT block your payment (in this case, if anyone blocks your account, it will be amex Redcard, wanting to make sure the citi card that you send payments to, really does belong to you)
you are taking the phrase out of context, we are talking about loading the RB at target desk/ payment made at target, not making a payment from RB to CC.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:20 am

you are taking the phrase out of context.

I could say the same thing about you
If you go back in the conversation, Slhansen219 asked something about large payments to Citi via redbird, you then respond saying that yes in fact Citi would block a payment sent via Redcard (this is not true) and then you start explaining what to do if a TRANSACTION gets declined by Citi at the point of sale in Target (you were mixing up two different scenarios, POS Citi transaction vs Payment to Citi via Redcard. I knew what you meant so I tried to clear up the confusion

Last edited by rgAAFT; Dec 30, 2014 at 11:44 am
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:24 pm

I could say the same thing about you
If you go back in the conversation, Slhansen219 asked something about large payments to Citi via redbird, you then respond saying that yes in fact Citi would block a payment sent via Redcard (this is not true) and then you start explaining what to do if a TRANSACTION gets declined by Citi at the point of sale in Target (you were mixing up two different scenarios, POS Citi transaction vs Payment to Citi via Redcard. I knew what you meant so I tried to clear up the confusion
Apologies. I think you are right. i didn't go back enough in the conversation. i guess i was still asleep when i posted that at 2 am this morning(my time).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.