Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anybody used the Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit? (Dec 2014 - Jul 22,2017)

Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Reimbursement times vary but seem to have improved in 2017, now about 2 weeks is most common. See this thread for details.

Starting for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this benefit will give you the average nightly rate on stays of 4+ nights, and will NOT include taxes.

FAQ
Will I be able to earn points on rooms booked via the Concierge?
Yes

What rates can the Concierge book?
Any rate you can book online at the hotel website should be bookable by the Concierge.

Are taxes included in the 4th night refund?
Currently yes. For reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this will change and taxes will not be included.

How to book.

By phone: 1-561-922-0158 (concierge direct), or call the toll free number on the back of your card.

By email: Send to [email protected].
Include:
  • Your name & email
  • Last 4 digits of your card number
  • Hotel name (plus address or link if it may be confused with a similar named property)
  • Stay dates
  • Number of guests in the room
  • Any rate type requests (AAA, AARP, etc)
  • Your hotel chain loyalty number, if applicable

Terms & Conditions: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/additional-info/citi.action?ID=AdditionalInfo-CitiPrestige
Print Wikipost

Anybody used the Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit? (Dec 2014 - Jul 22,2017)

Old May 4, 2015, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
AFAIK, the benefit hasn't been renewed past the end of the year yet.
I worry that this benefit may be modified down the road, as I'm sure like anything else, people will abuse it. I have made six inquiries through Carlson, and booked all six, but I have a feeling that folks don't do their homework first and then have Carlson price a multitude of options, only for them to not book anything.

Plus, if it doesn't make financial sense to Citi or Carlson, one or the other will drop it. Unless people truly don't use this benefit, I just don't see how it can be profitable. Certainly there is travel agent commission and merchant fees, but those can't possible make up for the free nights.

What does seem to be evident is that Citi has committed to making this a premium card that competes with the AmEx Platinum.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ckgunn01
...can I book a room for someone else and get the 4th night free? ....Could always add them as authorized user.
The terms say no:

The benefit can only be used by the primary account cardholder.
https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/p...CTermsBenefits

Originally Posted by TTT103
... if it doesn't make financial sense to Citi or Carlson, one or the other will drop it.
This benefit is provided by MasterCard, not by Citi:

MASTERCARD BENEFITS FOR THE CITI PRESTIGE® CARD (US)
MasterCard is the Service Provider for the MasterCard Benefits

INTERNATIONAL COMPLIMENTARY NIGHT HOTELS AND RESORTS PROGRAM TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Overall, I doubt that CWT loses money on this feature, but they may on specific stays.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by mia
The terms say no:

https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/p...CTermsBenefits

This benefit is provided by MasterCard, not by Citi:

Overall, I doubt that CWT loses money on this feature, but they may on specific stays.
Does this mean that all MC World Elite cards offer the fourth night free benefit? I thought this was just a Citi program.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:48 am
mia

Does this mean that all MC World Elite cards offer the fourth night free benefit?
I am not aware of any other card which offers this benefit. Nonetheless, Citi unambiguously tells us that the benefit is provided by MasterCard. Citi recently agreed to convert all of their own brand cards to MasterCard, maybe this is part of the compensation.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by monkeycard
When I booked my 4 nights, the Citi concierge rep told me that I must pay with my Citi Prestige card in order to get the 4th night free.

They took my deposit for the 4 nights and that I must pay for the rest of the stay at the hotel when checking out.
the only way around would be to book for yourself and add them on as a guest.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I am not aware of any other card which offers this benefit. Nonetheless, Citi unambiguously tells us that the benefit is provided by MasterCard. Citi recently agreed to convert all of their own brand cards to MasterCard, maybe this is part of the compensation.
Interesting
Old May 4, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by ffflllyyyeeerrr
Give me some dates and I can request a quote exactly as you would once you are a cardmember. Feel free to PM if you don't want to disclose publicly.
Thanks much.

Someone else is helping. (Great community)

I do recognize the risk of abuse AND of 'tipping one's hand' with asking about expensive and esoteric places, perhaps when one returns those venues are no longer possible. Im going to be very careful with inquiries.

I did NOT realize this might expire at the end of the is year. that would be a showstopper for me (obviously with travel in March 2016). Need to look into that/monitor

(All in all I am tiring of my AMEX plat. Not much benefit as they dropped the AA club. They are also idiots about the airline credit- all my travel is via agency, so never any charges from an airline- every credit is a battle with them...)
Old May 4, 2015, 6:47 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
...never any charges from an airline- every credit is a battle with them...)
The American Express credit can be used to purchase (for example) AA giftcards. If you could not use these yourself you could use them as, well, gifts.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Alaska, etc.
I've been trying to take advantage of this for some upcoming trips. For two hotels I tried in Greece they weren't able to offer the 4th night free, even though they are available for booking online through other sites. For one in Tucson, AZ they prepared a proposal that was reasonable and included 4th night free, but then when I tried to book it I got an agent at CWT who apparently didn't have a clue how to work their system. She first insisted that the room I wanted was no longer available (it was, both on the CWTVacations system and on other sites, including the hotel's own booking system) then had me on hold for 15 minutes while she tried to contact the property - but when she came back on the line it seemed she hadn't even talked to the right hotel.

So I think it's a decent benefit, but only if you have a lot of time to spend on making the reservations. You can get reservation information by email if you're lucky, but they insist on doing the actual reservation by phone conference and if you get the wrong person at CWT it can be a very frustrating experience.
Old May 5, 2015, 5:55 am

I do not believe the hotel rate is a factor in terms of CWT's ability or willingness to book. Yesterday I booked a property at a rate of $1124 a night. I had to go through the typical routine of waiting for the email quote, but so be it.

I tend to do my homework first by researching where I want to stay, rather than having the agents jump through hoops. Keep it simple, folks.

Kiwi, they should have been able to book the property in Greece if it was available through on-line booking engines. That one has me perplexed.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: United 1K, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Alaska, etc.
Kiwi, they should have been able to book the property in Greece if it was available through on-line booking engines. That one has me perplexed.
I think many of the on-line booking engines take less of a cut than traditional travel agents. The ones I wasn't able to book in Greece I also couldn't find on the CWTVacations site.

The one in Tucson they again confirmed via email, but now at a somewhat higher rate from the original quote. The CWTVacations site still shows the original rate available, but at this point I'll be thankful if I can just get it booked through them and be done with it!
Old May 5, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Flying Kiwi

The one in Tucson they again confirmed via email, but now at a somewhat higher rate from the original quote. The CWTVacations site still shows the original rate available, but at this point I'll be thankful if I can just get it booked through them and be done with it!
I had one myself that also had a rate increase by the time I booked. It would be so much easier if we could book hotels on-line versus the hoops one must jump through under the current process. It would save Citi on manpower by not having to go through their Concierge and then a CWT agent. The process is not very streamlined.

After one of my bookings I did receive a survey which contained a question regarding the possibility of booking on-line. Accordingly, I hope this is something they are seriously considering.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:48 am

I searched this thread, but didn't find any reference to Wyndham hotels- has anybody booked one?

TIA.
Old May 5, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Air Berlin Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum
I have been using this benefit for several months. When I booked prepaid rates, I would usually see the rebate from mastercard post within ~2 weeks after the date of the stay. However, since I've been booking flexible rates, the rebates have not been posting on the same schedule. Does anyone have any experience booking regular flexible rates at hotels using the 4th night free benefit with regards to when the rebates usually post? The last 4 stays haven't had rebates posted (late April through last week).
Old May 5, 2015, 10:53 am

is it possible to book 3 nights we hotel program points and get 4th night free from Citi?
sorry if I missed in discussion

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.