Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anybody used the Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit? (Dec 2014 - Jul 22,2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Reimbursement times vary but seem to have improved in 2017, now about 2 weeks is most common. See this thread for details.

Starting for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this benefit will give you the average nightly rate on stays of 4+ nights, and will NOT include taxes.

FAQ
Will I be able to earn points on rooms booked via the Concierge?
Yes

What rates can the Concierge book?
Any rate you can book online at the hotel website should be bookable by the Concierge.

Are taxes included in the 4th night refund?
Currently yes. For reservations made on or after July 23, 2017, this will change and taxes will not be included.

How to book.

By phone: 1-561-922-0158 (concierge direct), or call the toll free number on the back of your card.

By email: Send to [email protected].
Include:
  • Your name & email
  • Last 4 digits of your card number
  • Hotel name (plus address or link if it may be confused with a similar named property)
  • Stay dates
  • Number of guests in the room
  • Any rate type requests (AAA, AARP, etc)
  • Your hotel chain loyalty number, if applicable

Terms & Conditions: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/additional-info/citi.action?ID=AdditionalInfo-CitiPrestige
Print Wikipost

Anybody used the Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit? (Dec 2014 - Jul 22,2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TMM1982
But Citi could really set this card apart if they were to get rid of that aspect.
Remember, this is not Citi's program. It is a MasterCard benefit which Citi has bundled into Prestige.

Expedia is a consolidator, they buy room nights in bulk and can price them however they choose when selling through their various brands (Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Venere, etc).

Carlson is a competitor of Expedia. Commission alone wouldn't seem to be enough to fund this type of program. I assume they must also do some bulk buying, and to the extent that participants book those properties the transactions would still be profitable.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: AA PLT
I, too, would love to see a portal. I wonder if they want to keep it opaque, though, to minimize the number of people who actually use the service, and to hide what the actual cost of the booking is to them. If they can mark it up and recoup more cost (or even make a profit), I'm sure they'd want to continue doing so.

And yes, Hotels.com is a preferred option of mine as well, especially with a BRG that can often match rates that are lower than anything CWT will provide.

ETA: mia beat me to it.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold
Just wanted to add another data point about my experience about booking through cwt for two upcoming trips.

For trip 1, I asked information about 6-8 hotels. The representative emailed me within 24 hours with info about only 3 of the hotels I had requested, and only with 1 room type in each hotel. No special rates were mentioned.

I had found a rate for one hotel through cwt's booking site that was 15% off the rate the representative had sent (this rate wasn't even available on the hotel website). They happily matched that rate. This was a very expensive hotel where the rate was ~$500 for nights 1 and 2, and ~$1000 for nights 3 and 4. They didn't seem to have any issues saying that I will get a statement credit for night 4 (they also gave it in writing), so it seems like a good deal. With the 15% off and 4th night free, I'm getting almost 50% off the best publicly available rate on the hotel website.

For trip 2, I had only asked about 1 hotel. When I asked, they specifically asked me if I should be considered for non-refundable rates as well. However, when the concierge contacted me within 24 hours, the only rate mentioned was the (higher) refundable rate. I had to point out the non-refundable rate available on the website to get the lower rate.

It seems like the concierge definitely is a bit clumsy in getting your requests through, and they won't be doing much work on their own. However, it can really be a great deal if you're willing to do the leg work and follow up with your concierge, and especially if cwt has special rates available (although their booking system admittedly sucks).

It seems like cwt might participate in some of the luxury benefits with certain hotels that give benefits and other amenities (like free breakfast, room credit, etc.). Does anybody know exactly which special rates cwt has access to (and for which chains)? It can be a nightmare navigating their website, especially because inventory seems fickle and the rate descriptions usually are very short.

Last edited by lovefreebreakfasts; Jan 28, 2015 at 9:15 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Anyone ever use this feature to stay at Disney Grand California?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Remember, this is not Citi's program. It is a MasterCard benefit which Citi has bundled into Prestige.
Just curious, anyone know if there are any other Mastercard "World Elite" cards that offer this benefit? From another bank maybe? I never heard of it before Prestige.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:41 am

Just booked 4 nights at an omni hotel, which so happened to be part of the 2015 mastercard preferred portfolio that comes with early checkin/late checkout, comp bf for 2, room upgrade at checkin if avail.

the rate i found directly on omni's website wasn't shown from the rep's system. so the lady looked it up, put me on hold, and got the approval to book directly on omni's website. she then forwarded the rez to citi prestige concierge so I'd be eligible for the 4th night free offer.

one thing to note is that because they booked using the rate on omni's website, they weren't able to use the rate code associated with mastercard elite / prestige. as such, the benefits of the property being part of the 'preferred portf' is nullified.

my advice is, if you want to expedite the process, make sure you ask to be transferred to the travel agent (whether it be cwt or mastercard travel) and know exactly what you want to book based on prior research. from end to end, the rez took < 20 minutes to book. not TOO bad.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by lovefreebreakfasts
I had found a rate for one hotel through cwt's booking site that was 15% off the rate the representative had sent (this rate wasn't even available on the hotel website).
Maybe I missed it, but which site is that?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Nope my point went right over your head. I'm advocating that the Citi Prestige pay out the 4th night free even if folks book on a site like hotels.com. They just print out the receipt and send it in to Citi for the credit.

My whole point is that booking through CWT is an unnecessary hassle.
No, you are total wrong. You cannot get 4th night free through hotels.com.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by maxswanson
No, you are total wrong. You cannot get 4th night free through hotels.com.
He knows that; he's just saying he would like that to happen at some point in the future. Which it won't.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yea I understand that. But Citi could really set this card apart if they were to get rid of that aspect.
They could also set the card apart if they just sent all their cardmembers checks for $10k every month but that probably isn't going to happen either.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thorthor
By booking through hotels.com you can get around 20% back (7% cb portal +10% welcome rewards + 3TYP)

The prestige benefit gets you 25% (if you stay exactly 4 nights)+ 3TYP on the spend for the non-free nights.

So do the math and see if the extra hassle to book with CWT is worth the extra savings (for me it's not, but we usually stay at B&B's and not high end chains)
You can't really do the math like this. You are mixing your denominators.

At hotel.com, if you stay 11 nights you pay for 10 of them. Your rebate is (1 + 10*(10%) = 2/11 = 18.18%

With the Citi benefit if you stay 4 nights you pay for 3 of them so your rebate is (1 + 3*3%) / 4 = 1.09 / 4 = 27.25%.

Obviously the number for Citi is much higher, but the downside is that it's a max -- you only get that amount if you stay exactly 4 nights. If you stay 5 nights it's 1.12 / 5 = 22.4%. If you stay 6 nights it's 1.15 / 6 = 19.16%. If you stay 7 nights it's 1.18 / 7 = 16.8%.

So the best stategy seems to be to use the benefit on nights of 4-6 nights only, and use hotel.com through a portal for any other length stay.

This also all assumes that TYP are worth 1c each, which seems low. If you have a different valuation in mind you can redo the math (it probably won't change much)
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
So the best stategy seems to be to use the benefit on nights of 4-6 nights only, and use hotel.com through a portal for any other length stay.
In general, but not always. You may find that Hotels.com offers rates that CWT does not, and Hotels.com has a BRG should you find something better in the future.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by thorthor
By booking through hotels.com you can get around 20% back (7% cb portal +10% welcome rewards + 3TYP)

The prestige benefit gets you 25% (if you stay exactly 4 nights)+ 3TYP on the spend for the non-free nights.

So do the math and see if the extra hassle to book with CWT is worth the extra savings (for me it's not, but we usually stay at B&B's and not high end chains)
You will get the points and stay credit for all four days if you are the member of hotel group. Even you are not the member, you can get later checkout, breakfast, possible upgrade. For hotels.com, you got nothing.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by linglingfool
In general, but not always. You may find that Hotels.com offers rates that CWT does not, and Hotels.com has a BRG should you find something better in the future.
This is true. Also some people have reported getting the 4th night free through CWT when it's the most expensive night, which raises the rebate (you can't do this for hotel.com any more; your free night is limited to the average cost of your 10 paid nights; if it's more you have to pay the difference)

So obviously, if there are extenuating circumstances for your stay things might be different, but, in general, this is how you calculate the rebate amount, and, if all the nights are the same price (and the same through either booking method) 4-6 nights is the sweet spot.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Not to mention it's fairly easy to find a 5-10% room discount promo that can also be used on top of collecting rewards nights which then would it make the best option unless you're staying exactly 4 nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.