Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
-If you have had a World card not converted to WE and think you are stuck in the 18 month loop, then it *appears* that getting a new one, letting it age to convert from W->WE resets things to make you eligible for a new bonus on your next app.?
Seems like we only have tangential evidence that it works this way, at best. I'll be interested to see how your trail works out.

As far as I know, cards that were converted to WE simply dont count.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:06 am

We just did 2 gold cards (out of other options) and it's definitely getting harder.
Didn't want to call, but had to wait a week and still had to do chat.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:07 pm

I did a bit of searching in this thread but didn't get a really clear answer to my question:

I signed up and received the 50k bonus for AA plat about a month ago, but received a targeted offer for the same card in the mail today for the 50k bonus without the 18 month language. From what I've read, it seems I can go ahead and sign up for it to get the additional 50k points, but do I need to cancel the first card in order to sign up for the second?

Last edited by lurntospel; Oct 9, 2015 at 2:12 pm
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:20 pm

-Opening or closing a plat select resets 18 month window
Opening comes before closing, so I don't understand the above statement?

Also where do you see preapproved offers, is that through a snail mail?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:25 pm

I got the AA platinum select card couple of months ago and today i notice I got a note in my online account saying that a new card is being sent out.

I dont see anywhere online where it mentions "World" or " World Elite" . All it says is Platinum select

Where can i find it my card has been updated.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Newyorker11

What I meant is that I had opened the Citi AA plat a month ago with a link from this thread and earned the 50k miles already. Today I received a snail mail offer for 50k miles on the Citi AA plat with no wording on the 18 month period. Some posts on here suggest that I can go ahead and sign up and get an additional 50k. My question is whether or not I have to close the first card in order to apply for the new one.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by funwizard
I got the AA platinum select card couple of months ago and today i notice I got a note in my online account saying that a new card is being sent out.

I dont see anywhere online where it mentions "World" or " World Elite" . All it says is Platinum select

I don't think you can. You can call in and ask them, but it's probably safe to assume that you've been upgraded to WE.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Interpretation:

-If you have had a World card not converted to WE and think you are stuck in the 18 month loop, then it *appears* that getting a new one, letting it age to convert from W->WE resets things to make you eligible for a new bonus on your next app.
Maybe, maybe not. The "loophole" could be instead be because Citi treats WE and W as different products, so if all you had in the past 18 months is W's that you opened and WE's that you closed, the "loophole" works, but it could be that if you had W's (never converted to WE) that you opened or closed in the past 18 months, that despite getting a W->WE since, if you're still less than 18 months from a W being opened (and not converted) or closed (as W), you'd be out of luck.

Btw, this is hard to determine with a small number of datapoints, because any one person who closed a W might not realize if Citi had already scheduled it to be converted to a WE, and counts it as a WE closed. But if so, that would a fortunate timing aspect, and not likely to be repeated reliably over many datapoints.

Also, we're not even yet absolutely sure whether the W->WE "loophole" and the pre-approved "loophole" are the same loophole or totally separate ones. (And that timing problem, of not knowing when exacctly Citi considers you upgraded to WE, and if it's possibly before they give you hint that they're doing it, makes this one also hard to figure out for sure, except of course if proven that the pre-approved "loophole" doesn't exist on its own.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Opening or closing a plat select resets 18 month window
Open comes before closing only for one card. The opening of one card might come after the closing of another card.

Also, you don't to close one Citi to apply for another Citi card of the same type. Cit only counts openings and closings of cards, not whether you hold them currently.

So maximum success may occur in some cases if opening card two comes after opening card one but before closing card one. If card one was opened more than 18 months ago, then open a card two is safe as long as card one stay opening card two is likely to fail (getting a bonus) if you close card one before you apply for card two.

Some fraction of people get them in email and/or snail mail. But there's a place on the Citi website where anyone can look for those. In fact, a banner announcing that sometimes pops up (before you've logged in) when you go to citicards.com(though there's lot of banners that do, and it may take quite a lot of visits before the specific banner about pre-approved offers comes up for you).
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by funwizard

The name of the account listed in your account will change when your card is converted in the system.

World Elite (eligible): Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select

World (not eligible): Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:42 pm

We have received your application and further processing is required. We will contact you within a week regarding our decision. If approved, be sure to visit citicards.com to register and manage your account online. Thank you for requesting a CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard.

Got this message, what does FT recommend? Not call and let them decide?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:57 pm

We have received your application and further processing is required. We will contact you within a week regarding our decision. If approved, be sure to visit citicards.com to register and manage your account online. Thank you for requesting a CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard.

Got this message, what does FT recommend? Not call and let them decide?
In my experience, the business card is always approved within 2 days without any intervention. But as you have read in the wiki, business cards are YMMV, so there is no FT consensus recommendation. I recommend waiting 2 days (no e-mail is sent; you have the check the status page) and then calling.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Oct 9, 2015 at 5:03 pm
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Opening or closing a plat select resets 18 month window
Open comes before closing only for one card. The opening of one card might come after the closing of another card.

Also, you don't to close one Citi to apply for another Citi card of the same type. Cit only counts openings and closings of cards, not whether you hold them currently.

So maximum success may occur in some cases if opening card two comes after opening card one but before closing card one. If card one was opened more than 18 months ago, then open a card two is safe as long as card one stay opening card two is likely to fail (getting a bonus) if you close card one before you apply for card two.

Some fraction of people get them in email and/or snail mail. But there's a place on the Citi website where anyone can look for those. In fact, a banner announcing that sometimes pops up (before you've logged in) when you go to citicards.com(though there's lot of banners that do, and it may take quite a lot of visits before the specific banner about pre-approved offers comes up for you).
I have seen pre-qualified banner a lot, but I dont believe I have seen a pre-approved. I also believe banks these days DONT pre-approving cards - the approval process does not start until you actually submit an application. Pre-qualify simply means you are qualified to apply a particular offer - some got the 50K some only got the 30K AA. What is interesting is, as beltway pointed out, even having an existing AA card, he now saw the AA offer online. Ditto for my husband though he only sees the 30K, never sees the 50K. This means even with existing AA card, Citi system still says you are pre-qualifed for another AA card... (When you have a Chase UA card, UA website would no longer show you the Ad to apply for an UA card, as an illustration.)
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:23 pm

I hope this question is not too stupid, but I'm really curious. About the Citi AA card benefit "First checked bag free", is it necessary to book the reservation and pay with Citi AA card? If I use the sign-up bonus miles to redeem my air ticket, do I get 1 free checked bag?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by ttsai
I hope this question is not too stupid, but I'm really curious. About the Citi AA card benefit "First checked bag free", is it necessary to book the reservation and pay with Citi AA card? If I use the sign-up bonus miles to redeem my air ticket, do I get 1 free checked bag?
use AAA# and yes, especially with BA reward tickets

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.