Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do these qualify for 2x as Entertainment with Prestige or Premier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:55 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum

Nvm i found the answer

Last edited by howtofreetravel; Nov 27, 2014 at 9:12 pm
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now you've got other people wondering the same thing, but without the benefit of that answer. It would have been more useful if you had said what the answer was that you found and/or gave a link to where you found it.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Now you've got other people wondering the same thing, but without the benefit of that answer. It would have been more useful if you had said what the answer was that you found and/or gave a link to where you found it.
+1
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Terms:

You will earn 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants and 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels and travel agencies.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified. Merchants who accept Visa® / MasterCard® credit cards are assigned a merchant code based on the merchant's primary line of business and the kinds of products and services they sell.

Sometimes a merchant will sell a particular item that appears to fit within the stated qualifying category, but that merchant may not have a merchant code that fits within that category. Therefore purchases with that merchant will not qualify for the stated rewards offer on category purchases. Citi® reserves the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include; but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.

Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchant's premises or packaged for take- out and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports Promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional) and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CD's and related items including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVD's and/or games and related equipment for consumer use including online video rentals. Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services and include travel aggregators and tour operators.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: N/A
Does Ticketmaster/Livenation Count as Entertainment for Prestige/Premier?

Hello,

Can anyone advise on whether ticketmaster/livenation count towards the 3x entertainment category? Ive called in only to find mixed results.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:44 am

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Yes but @ 2X
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:34 am
mia

Originally Posted by JAGMAP
Yes but @ 2X
Currently, Prestige awards 2 points per dollar for entertainment, but Premier awards 3 points. It is reported that this will change, but today Premier cardholders still earn 3 points per dollar.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:51 pm

Just wondering if regular Amazon purchases show up as entertainment or if the Amazon downloads (mentioned on the Citi website) code differently ?

Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Regular Amazon purchases show up as bookstores.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Netflix gives 2 points on Prestige. I tried using this card at different county parks, but was classified as government services and only gave me 1 point. It did give 2 points for visiting Ripley aquarium in Toronto. But since I have 2x/5x Priceline card which was recently upgraded to no FTF, I will most likely use it everywhere for 2x Priceline points, which are valued at 1.67 cents each.
Old May 31, 2015, 1:50 pm

Do these quality for 2x on Entertainment?

I called Citibank about this and got conflicting answers from phone reps, hoping someone on FT can help answer these!

Which of the following qualify for 2x ThankYou points on Preferred/Prestige as part of the Entertainment category?

Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Spotify, iTunes, AppStore

Also, is there a way online to see ThankYou points earned on a per-transaction basis? So far I only see monthly points earned by category, but can't figure out how I would find out what my 'Other Purchases' transactions are.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:43 pm

Would like to know about these as well as Amazon
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:06 am
mia

The Entertainment category is defined in the card terms:

• Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums.
  • Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies.
  • Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions.
  • Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows.
  • Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists.
  • Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores.
  • Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals
In my experience most Amazon purchases are classified as Book Stores (which will not qualify) but some, including Kindle purchases, are classified as Record Stores (which will qualify). iTunes is classified as a Record Store.

There is no way to see the ThankYou Points awarded for an individual transaction.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:59 am

I wanted to share my recent experience with a manager at Citi about the 2x entertainment category.

This is my first month with the Prestige card and my point summary came through yesterday. It shows that I earned 153 points for entertainment but based on the transaction detail below I would have expected 782. Since Citi apparently doesn't show how each transaction falls into the bonus categories I went to my transaction history to see if that would give me any clues. Next to each transaction I see a category that has an upper and lower case identifier followed by what appears to be a MasterCard code. Each of the transactions below codes as "Entertainment" but I didn't receive the bonus points.

Gym Membership (CrossFit) - EntertainmentMEMBERSHIP CLUBS-SPORTS,RECREATION

Golf Green Fees - EntertainmentGOLF COURSES-PUBLIC

Racewire (5K race registration fee) - EntertainmentCOMMERCIAL SPORTS, PRO SPORTS CLUBS

Additionally, I had iTunes purchases on there that were coded as Merchandise. I also have an Audible subscription on there also coded as Merchandise.

Basically the manager could not tie out how I got the 153 bonus points and he gave me 1,000 bonus points for my trouble.

That said, I did not initially expect my gym membership fees or golf green fees to count as Entertainment (based on the definition of entertainment) but the coding on my transaction data got my hopes up.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
In general my observation of Prestige 2x for Entertainment is that they are kind of stingy with this. Whether its the merchant coding, or what not, but we don't really get much from this category even though we have a reasonable amount of spend in this.

What you can do for things like Netflix etc. is try it for a month and see if it shows up in the summary (if you don't have a million charges that make disentangling the categories difficult)

The merchant classification (using Visa Supplier website) may provide a signal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.