FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Would I still be able to get airline credit for 2014 on Citi Prestige? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1630183-would-i-still-able-get-airline-credit-2014-citi-prestige.html)

jediwho Nov 20, 2014 3:44 am

Would I still be able to get airline credit for 2014 on Citi Prestige?

I was about to apply for my wife's card today (I already have one) but after reading this article http://goo.gl/EY5uQI I am debating. What I am concerned about is if I apply for this card, when will I get this card in time and more importantly, when will the first statement close for me to be able to get $250 airline credit for this year and $250 for next year? Any thoughts? The author says that Citi's airline credit is by the statement period, which means my first statement would have to be December 31st or before.

Thanks!

crapz1 Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am

My card was overnighted to me after it was approved about a month ago. I've already bought some southwest GCs that qualifed for the credit on my statement. My statements closes on the 11th and it says that my credit will be available again on 12/11/14. I think as long as you are able go get approved, do the spend, and have a statement close before the end of the year, you should be okay.

steve4 Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am

I think you may still be able to get the credit this year, but it might be cutting it close. I applied for the card on 11/15 and received it on 11/18. I think my first statement will close on 12/10, so I'm planning to book the ticket before then. It looks like it's roughly one month from the time of application approval to end of the first statement.

mia Nov 20, 2014 8:40 am

What will you do differently if you cannot?

jediwho Nov 20, 2014 9:01 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 23871173)
What will you do differently if you cannot?

Will pass for now and get it late next year as this is the best way I can see maximizing the value of having two Citi Prestige. Or, wait for a better offer (more points, etc.).

mia Nov 22, 2014 3:34 am

Bear in mind that ThankYou Points are permanently linked to the card with which they were earned. If you plan to apply for a card, collect $250 twice, and cancel, you need to redeem the points earned with that specific card before (or very shortly after) closing. Linking other cards to the same ThankYou Rewards account will not extend their life.

Acid Nov 22, 2014 6:28 am

I received my card yesterday and I too had applied to max out the 250 bonus as well. I purchased GC's and first statement closes on 28th Nov. I think I'll make the cut.

Most likely I'll keep the card for long - 350 fee with 250 back is quite a sweet deal. I do have a Thank You Premier since many years(never had to pay annual fee) but got this one primarily for the Priority Pass benefits.

jediwho Nov 22, 2014 8:22 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 23880277)
Bear in mind that ThankYou Points are permanently linked to the card with which they were earned. If you plan to apply for a card, collect $250 twice, and cancel, you need to redeem the points earned with that specific card before (or very shortly after) closing. Linking other cards to the same ThankYou Rewards account will not extend their life.

Thanks Mia. I plan on keeping the card. Just that getting the extra $250 makes you feel like you got a good wall!

dannyboy888 Nov 23, 2014 11:23 pm

This thread actually pushed me to apply for the Prestige card right now since I figured my statement would close just in time for me to get the extra $250 airline credit.

I applied Thursday, got the card Friday and my statement closes in early December.

I've been trying to decide if I should go for the gift card route or just book a $250 ticket with southwest and then use the credit within the next year.

For those on the fence, I think there's just enough time to make it for this year if you apply now.

howtofreetravel Nov 27, 2014 9:18 pm

Does the statement have to close in December to get the 250 twice?

dannyboy888 Nov 28, 2014 12:38 am

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel (Post 23908702)
Does the statement have to close in December to get the 250 twice?

To the best of my knowledge, you have to have the airline charges post to your December statement in order to get the $250 for 2014. If it posts in the January statement, then it'll be part of 2015.

Acid Nov 28, 2014 5:43 am

I got my card last friday and bought AA gift card. Statement closed 11/26 and I received my 250 credit and new $250 credit will be available after 12/26 statement. The AA charge posted on 25th - so just a day before statement closed but it still triggered the statement credit.

As long as you get a statement in Dec you will be fine. I may be wrong but you cannot choose when first statement closes. You can change the due date/statement date but it takes upto 2 cycles for that to take effect as I learnt during the AA Exec 100K promo earlier this year.

jediwho Dec 6, 2014 5:35 am

Got mine as well and got $350 credit -- $250 for the airline and $100 for GE.

anam Dec 6, 2014 9:18 am

Originally Posted by jediwho (Post 23951292)
Got mine as well and got $350 credit -- $250 for the airline and $100 for GE.

My December statement just appeared and I got the credit.

However my statement says that the credit will reset in December 2015 :(.

Guess December statement is already too late.

jediwho Dec 6, 2014 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by anam (Post 23952018)
My December statement just appeared and I got the credit.

However my statement says that the credit will reset in December 2015 :(.

Guess December statement is already too late.

Very true. And same here as well. Total bummer. Hopefully, it rectifies at some point i.e. in a couple of years when it goes to calendar year vs. annual.