Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Double Cash MasterCard unlimited 1% + 1%

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Double Cash MasterCard unlimited 1% + 1%

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by jn in ca
I'm curious, what made it so bad that you cancelled it? That's really ugly. Was there something especially cheap about the plastic? Was the MC logo especially ugly?
Here's an image of the card from Citi's website:

I agree that it's not very pretty. Especially if the material is flimsy plastic that has a dull sheen. Still, I'm surprised by the people who say it's so ugly they won't use it.

I could understand if it were a case of "All other things being equal, I'd pick a prettier card." But other things are not equal. This is a 2% cash card that's not an Amex and has no annual fee. There is no other card like this AFAIK.

Either you want a card with these terms or you don't. And if you do, the card's looks shouldn't matter that much anymore. In my experience we are a solid 20 years past the point where merchants at point of sale routinely made judgments about you based on whether your card was the color of a precious metal (silver, gold, platinum) and how precious the metal was. After 20 years of people's household pets getting pre-approved platinum offers there's simply no point in caring what a card looks like anymore.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Still, I'm surprised by the people who say it's so ugly they won't use it.
Same here. For a free card, does not look too bad.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Same here. For a free card, does not look too bad.
I'd be interested to know your opinions once you have the card in your possession
Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 am

Can anyone confirm if Serve loads, Buxx loads and AFT loads count as cash advance with this card?

Also is the Citi Double Cash a World MC?

Last edited by ericdabbs; Sep 20, 2014 at 3:13 am
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Read this thread which contains conflicting reports and baseless speculation, but also a report that a Citi supervisor explained that new accounts may be either standard MasterCards or World MasterCards, but that all converted accounts are standard.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Cred...d/td-p/3440407

This does not seem entirely convincing to me. If Citi is willing to offer World versions of this card, I would expect a conversion from a MasterCard World card to retain that classification.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:22 am

Can anyone confirm if Serve loads, Buxx loads and AFT loads count as cash advance with this card?

Dude... Set your cash limit to $0
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:34 am

Citi Double Cash Card unlimited 1% + 1%

I think mine is a regular MasterCard cause doesn't say anywhere world. it just has the silver globe under MasterCard logo
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Dude... Set your cash limit to $0
HUH? I don't even have the card. I was just wondering from those that already have the card if they have tried to do Serve, Buxx or AFT loads with the DC card to see if it gets coded as purchase or cash advance for a data point. This has nothing to do with setting your cash limit to $0.

Last edited by ericdabbs; Sep 20, 2014 at 11:21 am
Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:42 pm

HUH? I don't even have the card. I was just wondering from those that already have the card if they have tried to do Serve, Buxx or AFT loads with the DC card to see if it gets coded as purchase or cash advance for a data point. This has nothing to do with setting your cash limit to $0.
All I meant was

Citi doesn't code serve loads as cash advance, so I have no reason to believe that this card would be different in any way. Secondly, if you are concerned about it, then call or SM Customer service and ask that your cash limit be be set to $10 or below
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by mia
Read this thread which contains conflicting reports and baseless speculation, but also a report that a Citi supervisor explained that new accounts may be either standard MasterCards or World MasterCards, but that all converted accounts are standard.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Cred...d/td-p/3440407

This does not seem entirely convincing to me. If Citi is willing to offer World versions of this card, I would expect a conversion from a MasterCard World card to retain that classification.
In this informative link by MIA, it says that there was no difference between the World and standard MC except for (NPSL). Now I am new to the NPSL term, but from what I can gather it means no preset spending limit.

If that is the only difference, what is the big deal with having the World MC? Not trying to be sarcastic here. I really want to know why the World is better in this case.

I am one of those people that doesn't care about the logo or color of the card as long as I get my 2% cash back.

Edited to add: BTW, the card is glossy. It is not embossed. The numbers are printed flatly on the back, and they are not raised. One thing that I did notice is that my name was not cleanly printed on the front. The laser printer they used did not print the first letter of my name very well. If others have the same issue, maybe that is why they think it looks cheap.

Last edited by jeanie; Sep 20, 2014 at 5:39 pm
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If the account has No Preset Spending Limit you should be able to exceed the nominal credit limit by about a factor of three, and increase the amount of cashback earned.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
In this informative link by MIA, it says that there was no difference between the World and standard MC except for (NPSL). Now I am new to the NPSL term, but from what I can gather it means no preset spending limit.

If that is the only difference, what is the big deal with having the World MC? Not trying to be sarcastic here. I really want to know why the World is better in this case.

I am one of those people that doesn't care about the logo or color of the card as long as I get my 2% cash back.

Edited to add: BTW, the card is glossy. It is not embossed. The numbers are printed flatly on the back, and they are not raised. One thing that I did notice is that my name was not cleanly printed on the front. The laser printer they used did not print the first letter of my name very well. If others have the same issue, maybe that is why they think it looks cheap.
Wow so the name is not even embossed onto the card? It sounds like the numbers aren't embossed either. Da hell is that? Wouldn't the name/number scratch off easily if it wasn't embossed onto the card? I look at these MB VGCs and AGCs that just have the card number printed on them and I find that you can scratch those off after some time.

On regular CCs the silver coating that goes over the card number fades away after wear and tear and I can only imagine what it will do to this card after a while.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:22 pm

Wow so the name is not even embossed onto the card? It sounds like the numbers aren't embossed either. Da hell is that? Wouldn't the name/number scratch off easily if it wasn't embossed onto the card? I look at these MB VGCs and AGCs that just have the card number printed on them and I find that you can scratch those off after some time.

On regular CCs the silver coating that goes over the card number fades away after wear and tear and I can only imagine what it will do to this card after a while.

My CSP is not embossed, either, and that hasn't been a problem. Also, I just got a Quicksilver from Capital One, and it was not embossed. It was a replacement for the old Cash card.

I have so many different cards, I don't put any one through enough wear and tear for the numbers to have rubbed off even though it is not embossed.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If the account has No Preset Spending Limit you should be able to exceed the nominal credit limit by about a factor of three, and increase the amount of cashback earned.
Thanks. I did not know that.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:31 pm

Citi Double Cash Card unlimited 1% + 1%

my name seems scratched too. that's why looks like printed on dot matrix printer lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.